University of Tennessee Medical Center

www.utmedicalcenter.org

University of Tennessee Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Joseph R. Landsman Jr.

Excellent place for carer development.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent place for carer development.

ConsPolitics and bureaucracy in the management are very difficult sometimes.

if you want to experience the medical field

Ekg Monitor Tech (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsMedical insurance, discounted food, 45 min lunch

ConsNo social life on night shift, can be stressful, management can improve

Great Experience

Certified Nursing Aid (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsI was a CNA floater. If I preferred a particular floor they worked with me to stay on the floor as long as possible. Also, since I was in school they were very accommodating to my schedule.

ConsSometimes I would be scheduled for multiple floors at the same time as a scheduling error and get yelled at like it was my fault. It finally got worked out though.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Program Coordinator

Coordinator (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt was a job to help pay bills

ConsNo room for career growth

Low morale and too much overhead

Assistant (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsWhile I was only at UTMC for close to a year, I met a lot of great people. Most were very stressed and under-appreciated, but they stuck it out for their patients. UTMC has some wonderful staff members, but like mentioned in some other reviews, morale is poor.

ConsThere are a few quality members of upper management, but they're outnumbered by too many incompetent, arrogant colleagues. I've worked for several large corporations, and UTMC has some of the craziest overhead I've ever seen. It's like they create VP positions for every employee who's been around for a certain number of years. There are many duplicate VP positions - cleverly named differently but still the same positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee recognition!!! When the CEO won't even make eye contact with line-level employees, that's very damaging to morale. You've got some great employees - try appreciating them from time to time.

Also, when you make everything a crisis, nothing is a crisis. Lead by example, not hysterics.

UT has great medical care but is uninterested in making it a good environment to work for overall.

Staff Nurse (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsI've worked at UT for over 10 years. We provide excellent medical care and have cutting edge practice compared to other local hospitals where I have worked. Nursing has a voice in decisions through Unit Councils though management has final approval, of course.

ConsManagement is willing to push employees to the max and has demonstrated lack of concern when many, many experienced employees have left due to working conditions. One manager can be quoted as saying, "Nurses are like prostitutes, there's one on every corner." This was said in front of other witnesses after I expressed concern over all the great people we were losing at the time. When this was reported to upper management no action was taken, no changes were implemented and working conditions have continued to deteriorate--and this was over a year ago.

Also, the medical center, as a whole, is very inflexible to change. If that's the way it has always been done then, by God, that's the way we are going to do it. When all other area hospitals only require full-time nurses to work 3 twelve hour shifts a week to be considered full time and only require weekend shifts every 3-4 weeks UT still requires an every other weekend schedule. Staff with no family/no kids can probably do this easily but if one has older children and wants them to have a normal life with sports and other activities it becomes very difficult to manage not being there for them half of their life--because that is what a 7 day per 14 day work schedule requires.

Lack of equipment when needed! At the other hospital that I work in, if we truly need more equipment to do our job well management makes it a huge priority to get it for us. This support comes from upper management and allows our department to function very effectively. I don't see this at UT at all. The normal response to needs is, "Well, we don't have the funds but we'll put it in next years' budget." I'm creative and such but I get really tired of constantly having to "make do" while still trying to give excellent care--in a Level 1 Trauma Center, by the way!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, we can run ourselves ragged and still provide excellent care with a smile on our face and compassion in our hearts...but not forever. Is it really worth running your staff into the ground and having to deal with losing the best nurses in your department because they refuse to be worked to death?? Ease up a little and listen to what we need instead of chasing the almighty dollar. I think in the end the money will even out because you won't have to be constantly training new employees!

Malfunction Junction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWatching medical residents learn and grow, some of the staff that work there are very hard workers and care deeply about their work, it was a good feeling in the air on Fridays before UT Football Game Saturdays. I had a lot of pride working there because of the UT name even though there really isn't a UT connection.

ConsThey will work you to death and use you up if you aren't careful, Upper Management really doesn't seem to care they only want the numbers to look good, they let the good and caring people go and keep the yes sir people, even some of the good doctors have left because of this. There are staff there that were university employees before UTMC privatized and they are constantly complaining about everything; that gets old. Everyone is afraid for their jobs all the time. The leaders have done nothing over the years to break down silo's between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave and let some new blood in from outside UTMC. You all have been there far too long. You yourself said that upper management should change over every five years when you first came in; that was over ten years ago. Other than that, I would say you need a complete culture change from what you have now, which is very dictatorial, to more of a true team based transparent approach where goals and obtainable and everyone works hard together (shared accountability) to reach them. Break down the silo's!

Somewhat okay insurance benefits...but crappy everything else.

Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

Pros*Required five words for Pros*

ConsThey don't appreciate the people that work for them as a whole. They give you "a cost of living" raise...which is a joke, because it is only $0.04 more once per year. Standard raise is 2%,(and by 2%, I mean 1% in the end, which is only a whopping $0.10 more per hour) but they always find something negative to mention to lower your "raise" during your evaluation. I had my raise lowered because other people weren't getting along (it affected all CNA's on our unit). It had nothing to do with me whatsoever. You also don't get paid extra for working holidays and you will pretty much work every holiday. They do not offer any type of paid vacation time , paid sick, or personal days. You accrue "paid time off" and sick leave per pay period, but if you get sick, you have to use your paid time off and not your sick time. You also get written up if you are sick and can't come in more than twice a year and you have to be able to request your paid time off in advance by at least 4 months. They also split Saturdays, so you will never get overtime...ever. The equipment you have to use to do your job never works and you have to take time to call maintence over and over for them to come up and say that they fixed it, when they really didn't. If you are one of the fortunate people that is well liked by your manager you will never have consequences for abusing time off, not doing your job, or being really, really unprofessional. Don't even bother to speak up about any of this. I've seen perfectly good, hard working people get written up and even fired for doing this. The hospital itself isn't terrible, and it does do evidence based practice, which is good, but employee relations suck something awful here.

Good Ole Boys Club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were caring and hard working individuals. Lots of great staff and doctors. Only Level 1 trauma service in town so there are a lot of interesting patients and cases. Lots of residents and educational programs which bring a lot of bright and interesting people rotating through.

ConsSenior Management and VP's are all numbers driven and all about the "good ole boys" club. There is a token female CNO but the men are truly in charge. The culture is stifling for the regular workers. Everyone is afraid to say anything because of retaliation.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil the Board of Directors wakes up and realizes that everything has a shelf life and changes out the senior management, the culture will continue to be awful.

Mixed Bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsPotential to give great service to underserved population; potential for career stability; some departments may give good support to staff.

ConsAt times highly politicized work environment, particularly for RNs (may vary quite a bit from department to department). Management practices at times highly nepotistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive greater credit to rank-and-file staff for considerable contributions; practice actual teamwork/team-building; hold management accountable for poor choices/policies/actual errors when applicable.

Worked for University of Tennessee Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!