University of Tennessee Medical Center

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
2.7

Joseph R. Landsman Jr.

Excellent place for carer development.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center

Pros

Excellent place for carer development.

Cons

Politics and bureaucracy in the management are very difficult sometimes.

Good Organization with Room to Grow, but Pay is Sub-par

Current Employee - Team Leader in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Academic atmosphere, highly-skilled and educated staff, research opportunities, family-feel environment, opportunities for promotion, good benefits package.

Cons

Pay is less than similar organizations

Great great great!!!

Current Employee - ED Tech in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - ED Tech in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people and the place are the best part. Everyone gets along and works as a team.

Cons

Just the pay. Everything else is not bad at all.

Better communication amongst themselves.

I love the job and the people I work with, but the problems come with the pay and technical stuff.

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Knoxville, TN

Pros

The people I work with at UT are awesome. Most of them are really compassionate and understanding and will try to help you out when you need it. The leaders on my floor are really flexible and nice. Once you work there for a little while it seems like a family.

Cons

As with any family/ group of people, there are rotten eggs. The workers that skim by aren’t weeded out as they should be and they don’t get in trouble for things like they should to stop it from happening. The company values are a nice selling point, but that’s not how a lot of employees function

Time off policies should not be: don’t call in. ever. Everyone has a life outside of work and we shouldn’t be punished for having needs and getting sick sometimes.

Great Potential

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist/Medical Assistant in Seymour, TN
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist/Medical Assistant in Seymour, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work environment and coworkers are great.

Cons

Film x-ray and commuting distance from Knoxville.

if you want to experience the medical field

Current Employee - Ekg Monitor Tech in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Ekg Monitor Tech in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Medical insurance, discounted food, 45 min lunch

Cons

No social life on night shift, can be stressful, management can improve

Great Experience

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Aid in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Aid in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was a CNA floater. If I preferred a particular floor they worked with me to stay on the floor as long as possible. Also, since I was in school they were very accommodating to my schedule.

Cons

Sometimes I would be scheduled for multiple floors at the same time as a scheduling error and get yelled at like it was my fault. It finally got worked out though.

Program Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a job to help pay bills

Cons

No room for career growth

Low morale and too much overhead

Former Employee - Assistant in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

While I was only at UTMC for close to a year, I met a lot of great people. Most were very stressed and under-appreciated, but they stuck it out for their patients. UTMC has some wonderful staff members, but like mentioned in some other reviews, morale is poor.

Cons

There are a few quality members of upper management, but they're outnumbered by too many incompetent, arrogant colleagues. I've worked for several large corporations, and UTMC has some of the craziest overhead I've ever seen. It's like they create VP positions for every employee who's been around for a certain number of years. There are many duplicate VP positions - cleverly named differently but still the same positions.

Employee recognition!!! When the CEO won't even make eye contact with line-level employees, that's very damaging to morale. You've got some great employees - try appreciating them from time to time.

Also, when you make everything a crisis, nothing is a crisis. Lead by example, not hysterics.

UT has great medical care but is uninterested in making it a good environment to work for overall.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at UT for over 10 years. We provide excellent medical care and have cutting edge practice compared to other local hospitals where I have worked. Nursing has a voice in decisions through Unit Councils though management has final approval, of course.

Cons

Management is willing to push employees to the max and has demonstrated lack of concern when many, many experienced employees have left due to working conditions. One manager can be quoted as saying, "Nurses are like prostitutes, there's one on every corner." This was said in front of other witnesses after I expressed concern over all the great people we were losing at the time. When this was reported to upper management no action was taken, no changes were implemented and working conditions have continued to deteriorate--and this was over a year ago.

Also, the medical center, as a whole, is very inflexible to change. If that's the way it has always been done then, by God, that's the way we are going to do it. When all other area hospitals only require full-time nurses to work 3 twelve hour shifts a week to be considered full time and only require weekend shifts every 3-4 weeks UT still requires an every other weekend schedule. Staff with no family/no kids can probably do this easily but if one has older children and wants them to have a normal life with sports and other activities it becomes very difficult to manage not being there for them half of their life--because that is what a 7 day per 14 day work schedule requires.

Lack of equipment when needed! At the other hospital that I work in, if we truly need more equipment to do our job well management makes it a huge priority to get it for us. This support comes from upper management and allows our department to function very effectively. I don't see this at UT at all. The normal response to needs is, "Well, we don't have the funds but we'll put it in next years' budget." I'm creative and such but I get really tired of constantly having to "make do" while still trying to give excellent care--in a Level 1 Trauma Center, by the way!!!

Yes, we can run ourselves ragged and still provide excellent care with a smile on our face and compassion in our hearts...but not forever. Is it really worth running your staff into the ground and having to deal with losing the best nurses in your department because they refuse to be worked to death?? Ease up a little and listen to what we need instead of chasing the almighty dollar. I think in the end the money will even out because you won't have to be constantly training new employees!

University of Tennessee Medical Center Photos