University of Tennessee Medical Center

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014
2.7

Joseph R. Landsman Jr.

I love the job and the people I work with, but the problems come with the pay and technical stuff.

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with at UT are awesome. Most of them are really compassionate and understanding and will try to help you out when you need it. The leaders on my floor are really flexible and nice. Once you work there for a little while it seems like a family.

Cons

As with any family/ group of people, there are rotten eggs. The workers that skim by aren’t weeded out as they should be and they don’t get in trouble for things like they should to stop it from happening. The company values are a nice selling point, but that’s not how a lot of employees function

Time off policies should not be: don’t call in. ever. Everyone has a life outside of work and we shouldn’t be punished for having needs and getting sick sometimes.

Low morale and too much overhead

Former Employee - Assistant  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

While I was only at UTMC for close to a year, I met a lot of great people. Most were very stressed and under-appreciated, but they stuck it out for their patients. UTMC has some wonderful staff members, but like mentioned in some other reviews, morale is poor.

Cons

There are a few quality members of upper management, but they're outnumbered by too many incompetent, arrogant colleagues. I've worked for several large corporations, and UTMC has some of the craziest overhead I've ever seen. It's like they create VP positions for every employee who's been around for a certain number of years. There are many duplicate VP positions - cleverly named differently but still the same positions.

Employee recognition!!! When the CEO won't even make eye contact with line-level employees, that's very damaging to morale. You've got some great employees - try appreciating them from time to time.

Also, when you make everything a crisis, nothing is a crisis. Lead by example, not hysterics.

Somewhat okay insurance benefits...but crappy everything else.

Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Knoxville, TN

Pros

*Required five words for Pros*

Cons

They don't appreciate the people that work for them as a whole. They give you "a cost of living" raise...which is a joke, because it is only $0.04 more once per year. Standard raise is 2%,(and by 2%, I mean 1% in the end, which is only a whopping $0.10 more per hour) but they always find something negative to mention to lower your "raise" during your evaluation. I had my raise lowered because other people weren't getting along (it affected all CNA's on our unit). It had nothing to do with me whatsoever. You also don't get paid extra for working holidays and you will pretty much work every holiday. They do not offer any type of paid vacation time , paid sick, or personal days. You accrue "paid time off" and sick leave per pay period, but if you get sick, you have to use your paid time off and not your sick time. You also get written up if you are sick and can't come in more than twice a year and you have to be able to request your paid time off in advance by at least 4 months. They also split Saturdays, so you will never get overtime...ever. The equipment you have to use to do your job never works and you have to take time to call maintence over and over for them to come up and say that they fixed it, when they really didn't. If you are one of the fortunate people that is well liked by your manager you will never have consequences for abusing time off, not doing your job, or being really, really unprofessional. Don't even bother to speak up about any of this. I've seen perfectly good, hard working people get written up and even fired for doing this. The hospital itself isn't terrible, and it does do evidence based practice, which is good, but employee relations suck something awful here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

if you want to experience the medical field

Current Employee - Ekg Monitor Tech  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Ekg Monitor Tech in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical insurance, discounted food, 45 min lunch

Cons

No social life on night shift, can be stressful, management can improve

UT has great medical care but is uninterested in making it a good environment to work for overall.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked at UT for over 10 years. We provide excellent medical care and have cutting edge practice compared to other local hospitals where I have worked. Nursing has a voice in decisions through Unit Councils though management has final approval, of course.

Cons

Management is willing to push employees to the max and has demonstrated lack of concern when many, many experienced employees have left due to working conditions. One manager can be quoted as saying, "Nurses are like prostitutes, there's one on every corner." This was said in front of other witnesses after I expressed concern over all the great people we were losing at the time. When this was reported to upper management no action was taken, no changes were implemented and working conditions have continued to deteriorate--and this was over a year ago.

Also, the medical center, as a whole, is very inflexible to change. If that's the way it has always been done then, by God, that's the way we are going to do it. When all other area hospitals only require full-time nurses to work 3 twelve hour shifts a week to be considered full time and only require weekend shifts every 3-4 weeks UT still requires an every other weekend schedule. Staff with no family/no kids can probably do this easily but if one has older children and wants them to have a normal life with sports and other activities it becomes very difficult to manage not being there for them half of their life--because that is what a 7 day per 14 day work schedule requires.

Lack of equipment when needed! At the other hospital that I work in, if we truly need more equipment to do our job well management makes it a huge priority to get it for us. This support comes from upper management and allows our department to function very effectively. I don't see this at UT at all. The normal response to needs is, "Well, we don't have the funds but we'll put it in next years' budget." I'm creative and such but I get really tired of constantly having to "make do" while still trying to give excellent care--in a Level 1 Trauma Center, by the way!!!

Yes, we can run ourselves ragged and still provide excellent care with a smile on our face and compassion in our hearts...but not forever. Is it really worth running your staff into the ground and having to deal with losing the best nurses in your department because they refuse to be worked to death?? Ease up a little and listen to what we need instead of chasing the almighty dollar. I think in the end the money will even out because you won't have to be constantly training new employees!

Malfunction Junction

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center

Pros

Watching medical residents learn and grow, some of the staff that work there are very hard workers and care deeply about their work, it was a good feeling in the air on Fridays before UT Football Game Saturdays. I had a lot of pride working there because of the UT name even though there really isn't a UT connection.

Cons

They will work you to death and use you up if you aren't careful, Upper Management really doesn't seem to care they only want the numbers to look good, they let the good and caring people go and keep the yes sir people, even some of the good doctors have left because of this. There are staff there that were university employees before UTMC privatized and they are constantly complaining about everything; that gets old. Everyone is afraid for their jobs all the time. The leaders have done nothing over the years to break down silo's between departments.

Please leave and let some new blood in from outside UTMC. You all have been there far too long. You yourself said that upper management should change over every five years when you first came in; that was over ten years ago. Other than that, I would say you need a complete culture change from what you have now, which is very dictatorial, to more of a true team based transparent approach where goals and obtainable and everyone works hard together (shared accountability) to reach them. Break down the silo's!

Program Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job to help pay bills

Cons

No room for career growth

Great Experience

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Aid  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Aid in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a CNA floater. If I preferred a particular floor they worked with me to stay on the floor as long as possible. Also, since I was in school they were very accommodating to my schedule.

Cons

Sometimes I would be scheduled for multiple floors at the same time as a scheduling error and get yelled at like it was my fault. It finally got worked out though.

Good Ole Boys Club

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center

Pros

Co-workers were caring and hard working individuals. Lots of great staff and doctors. Only Level 1 trauma service in town so there are a lot of interesting patients and cases. Lots of residents and educational programs which bring a lot of bright and interesting people rotating through.

Cons

Senior Management and VP's are all numbers driven and all about the "good ole boys" club. There is a token female CNO but the men are truly in charge. The culture is stifling for the regular workers. Everyone is afraid to say anything because of retaliation.

Until the Board of Directors wakes up and realizes that everything has a shelf life and changes out the senior management, the culture will continue to be awful.

Excellent place for carer development.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center

Pros

Excellent place for carer development.

Cons

Politics and bureaucracy in the management are very difficult sometimes.

Worked for University of Tennessee Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!