University of Tennessee Reviews

Reset
3.9
University of Tennessee President Dr. Joe DiPietro
Dr. Joe DiPietro

Pros
  • Great education and a great work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, good job prospect after college (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and grant-based research, as per the usual with Universities (in 6 reviews)

• Easy to get stuck in a position with few pay raises if not aggressive about networking (in 3 reviews)

1. OIT Help Desk Student Assistant

I worked at University of Tennessee part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere in OIT. Mostly great people who are willing to help with problem solving. I learned a lot with this job during training for the position and during work. I feel that working for the help desk broadened my skill set moreso than other jobs I've held in the past.

Cons

Training was lengthy and boring. Some callers can easily become irate if you can't tell them what they want to hear. Some want support for unsupported applications. This is pretty normal for a help desk position.

2. Student assistant

Pros

great hours, pay is not bad, work with your school schedule, very understanding

Cons

not much parking on campus

3. Geography department- great networking, low pay

I worked at University of Tennessee full-time

Pros

The geography department is great to work for. My cohort group was exceptional and the faculty and staff were a joy to work with. There are great networking opportunities and everyone is willing to collaborate. Knoxville is a beautiful city and there is so much to do on and off campus.

Cons

The pay is not great for TA ships, so being active in GAU is a good way to make sure your voice is at least heard, but UT is run more like a business than a university. As a university they are more interested in making money than saving you money.

Advice to Management

Offer more for TA ships and RA ships. This has more to do with the university than the department. The Geography department is one of the lesser paying departments on campus.

5. Graduate Research Assistant

Pros

The fee will be waived off.

Cons

depends completely on your professor

6. Great Experience

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist I in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist I in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wide variety of excellent opportunities and experiences. Employer also offered a lot of continued training and educational opportunities. Great job that was fun and exciting and changed from day to day.

Cons

Can take a while to get promotions and advances in the work place, but like any place it just takes hard work and an investment in time.

Advice to Management

Continue the great team building and investment in employees that you already do. Continue to promote the hard-workers that are dedicated to your programs.

7. Review

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee (More than a year)

Pros

One of the department graduate programs that actually pays. Great faculty and staff.

Cons

Some office politics, but everywhere has them I suppose.

8. Fellow

Current Employee - Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Fellow in Memphis, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee full-time

Pros

Wide range of clinical programs with good training programs. Affiliated with several hospital that have excellent academic clinical programs (Top Hospitals by US News and World Report). Reasonable benefits package.

Cons

Some inflexibility and lack of efficiency with orientation and credentialing process. No 401k/403b/457 matching for ACGME positions.

Advice to Management

Could improve processing of new hires Could adjust credentialing criteria for non-clinical hires (waste of time and money to put them through testing, training, etc when research only employees will not perform any clinical or patient care duties)

9. Graduate Research Assistantship

Pros

Nice place to live and work.

Cons

some lectures don't prepare classes very well. they pay more attention on research than teaching.

10. Extension Assistant III

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working on a college campus with new technologies and breakthroughs being made every day. I also love the idea of the regular cycle of change that occurs on campus and the fact that it provides new beginnings all of the time.

Cons

There is a lot of political and governmental red tape to navigate in order to get anything done. It often handcuffs programs and projects from being able to reach their full potential.

Advice to Management

Do everything that you can in your power to empower your employees. It's easy to get frustrated with progress at times working for a government agency and it really helps to build your employees morale and help them to become self motivators.

11. Systems Analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Easy work environment and plenty of vacation 4 weeks when you start

Cons

low pay and benefits , performance review done poorly

RSS Feed </> Embed