University of Tennessee

www.tennessee.edu

University of Tennessee Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
University of Tennessee – US – “Stokely Management Center”

University of Tennessee President Dr. Joe DiPietro

Dr. Joe DiPietro

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, good job prospect after college(in 8 reviews)

• Strong work environment depending on your adviser(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and grant-based research, as per the usual with Universities(in 5 reviews)

• There was no real career development path, at least for me(in 3 reviews)

Nice place to work

ProsGood environment for growth. Good culture.

ConsResearch facilities could be better.

Nice place to work and live

ProsConnections to ORNL;
    Close to big smoky mountains;

ConsConservative;
    Need more investment to attract faculties

Very good environment.

Student Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsLots of money, friendly people.

ConsThere are no cons, UT is a great institution to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful work environment, very well run.

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsHiring process is relatively painless. Professors are mostly very open and friendly. Very good pay for teaching assistants. Alumni network is well-connected, providing great opportunities for career growth.

ConsOccasionally quite bureaucratic. Parking permits are incredibly expensive and subtracted from salary. Experience as a research assistant can vary greatly in quality from professor to professor.

A stable place to work with good benefits but average to slightly below average salaries.

Information Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsAcademic work environment.
    Collaborative.
    Opportunity to wear many hats and learn new technologies.

ConsMore political than seems necessary. Which means rewards seemed to be given based on personality more than merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither have a solid division of labor between project management, editors, designers, and developers or acknowledge and empower individuals to manage clients. Doing both ad hoc leads to mediocre and unquantifiable results.

Don't waste your time

Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsI really enjoyed the first project I was assigned to at UT.

ConsI worked for a grant-funded department and the constant worry of losing our funding wore me down after a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll those surveys you conduct? Pay attention to the responses and take action!

Student Research Assistant

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsFun projects involving a wide range of subjects. My research professor was involved with several things from tractor rollover bars to river mapping. No day was quite the same. Really flexible work hours.

ConsOccasionally slow days. Sometimes watching videos for research would get old.

Great Working Place and Even Nicer People

Professional Intern (Current Employee) Oak Ridge, TN

ProsWonderful place to work and learn new skills..great people, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable.

ConsInternships will not always lead to an offer of full time employment but Well Worth it anyway!

Very good University

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClose Knit Environment, Personal Growth, there are many opportunities for advancement within business.

ConsSupervisors can be set in their ways. Pay is generally far too low for the amount of work that is done.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to workers. Do not hire more students to leadership positions.

Great overall, but pulled in two directions

Research Technician (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThe people are great to work with, and mostly excellent benefits. It is a full-time, twelve months a year kind of place, and can be challenging at times and laid-back at other times.

ConsIt is a non-profit educational institution of the State of Tennessee and therefore tied to the state budget for raises which do not come every year and do not match rises in the inflation rate. The 401K matching is currently at $50/month (also set by the State). The Graduate School of Medicine in Knoxville is tied in to the UT Memphis campus which can make paperwork a bit awkward.

Worked for University of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!