University of Texas System Reviews

Updated February 26, 2015
70 reviews filtered by
  • Austin, TX

Relaxed environment but you'll have to put up with quite a few incompetent staff members.

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Very casual. Relaxed with your work schedule. Friendly and youthful demographic

Cons

Lots of older staff who refuse to learn new technology and hinder the growth of the departments

Be aware of staff who are BSing their way through their job. There could be someone out there who could easily do their job and another with no problems.

Generally Good

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas System

Pros

Austin-- such a wonderful place to live, this is probably far and away the most convincing reason.
    World Class Faculty-- not just a tag line, UT has the funds to attract the very best.
    Reasonable compensation scheme.

Cons

Funding Issues-- it seems that they continue to face funding issues and choose to bundle money to attract big name scholars instead of keeping staff.
    Benefits are not that great.

Make choices that prioritize staff, there are thousands of us and hiring one or two senior faculty members should not be done at the cost of many many staff jobs. Great staff are part of what makes UT great.

UT-Austin the good, bad and...

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Very friendly co-workers
    Laid-back environment
    Less stressful, less peer pressure
    Center of happenings at Austin and reasonable compensation with good benefits

Cons

May not get satisfactory recognition of your good work. Hard to excel in this big school with ~30000 employes.
    Salary is lower than many other schools

Please provide compettive salary and improve work environment by rewarding people

5. Great place to work, flexibility

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Excellent resources and facilities with competitive faculty. Laid back atmosphere to keep things less intense than other universities. Good place to settle in and accomplish scientific goals.

Cons

Parking, parking, parking! Must park 6 blocks from campus every morning. Too many undergrads and students everywhere. A little too laid back sometimes, people not always ambitious.

Become more selective with admissions, too many students are accepted that clearly do not belong at a high ranked national university.

GRA at UT-Austin

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Working for UT as a graduate research assistant provides a great opportunity to be involved with cutting edge research. The research programs at UT have significant funding compared to other universities.

Cons

The downsides of working at UT are minimal. Being a state university the pay is standard with other government jobs.

The managment at UT can be absent at times, especially with various research programs. When you are working and managing a group of researchers it can feel like hurding cats.

7. Learning Center is a great place to learn.

Current Employee - Learning Center Tutor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Learning Center Tutor in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Interactive with students frequently
    Enhance teaching and learning experience

Cons

Close to none. Lazy students are hard to work with sometimes since they want to know the answers for their homework which is due in 30 minutes rather than understanding the materials.

Leading a small group of people on learning textbook topics are quite fun, but make sure you have cover the topic from ground up since people come into the learning center have different background.

8. UT Neurobiology and Animal Resource Center

Current Employee - Research Scientist Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Scientist Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Employee benefits are fantastic, campus is gorgeous, wonderful central location, employee discounts throughout Austin

Cons

No employee raises for last 2 years (except for Mack Brown receiving $5 million plus bonuses) despite football team raising over 150 million dollars this last season.

You have over 70,000 good (generally) employees who keep the entire UT system running; why not give them a raise?

A mixed bag

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

My co-workers are very bright and very nice, and I am very fortunate in my department and management (but some departments are not so nice). People are not expected to work long hours usually; but the work pace when you are there is pretty intense and there is always too much to do. Staff get free bus passes to commute to work and can take a free course after a year. Much of the work is interesting.

Some of the administrators and bosses are impressive in their capabilities and dedication and vision.

Also, it is such a large employer that the varied environments and contacts and people you get to work with can be rewarding and stimulating far beyond working for some small business or something. And of course such a large employer has both good areas to work in and bad ones.

Cons

I do like my job but I have MANY reservations about UT as an employer. Recently there is a push by top management to let go people to suck up money to put toward attracting rock-star faculty and to building a mega-expensive new building. Pay is already very low and this year there are no raises at all and in future years there are likely to be very limited wage hikes. They have used the recession as an excuse to shaft workers (while their budget actually rose a little). Promotions can be very delayed and in general there is an attitude of contempt of top management for staff and even for regular faculty and their value. The disloyalty involved in recent layoffs of some excellent people who've spent their lives devoted to the university is appalling; so there is NO REAL JOB SECURITY besides the lousy pay. Tuition for students keeps rising higher and at the same time they are cutting the value of what students get by increasing class sizes; I don't feel the administration truly cares about education but of course most faculty do. In many ways it is a crummy place to work, but at the same time if you can find a particular niche that suits you it might be OK; it is OK for me and I do like my job and co-workers and hope to continue working there for a long time; but all the same I don't feel good about a lot of things that are going on or good about UT as an employer in general. I feel that they count on so many people wanting to work at a university (not something I personally care about) that they are willing to not treat them well and count on their putting up with it.

Pay is very unequal -- most staff are poorly paid but some at the top are far overpaid and get giant raises. They ask for loyalty from employees and have pretty words but their behavior isn't pretty. A hiring freeze has resulted in much under-staffing.

Advice to the President: PLEASE LEAVE!!!! Your actions are atrocious!

If you're going to work at a University, Texas is a great place to do it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas System

Pros

Intellectual freedom, personal flexibility, laid back lifestyle. Austin is a fantastic place to live and has a reasonable cost of living.

Cons

University pay, limited opportunity for promotion

Make non-tenure track positions more professional in nature. (Eg: less bureaucratic, more performance driven, more opportunity for advancement.)

Great place to work

I have been working at University of Texas System

Pros

Receive many opportunities to do things you are interested in. Work with great people, both coworkers and management. Many resources here. A lot of flexibility in specific positions.

Cons

There have not been major downsides to the positions I've had here. There are many ways to resolve any challenges and issues.

Doing a great job, providing many opportunities for growth, development, and learning. Also helping a lot by recognizing employees and telling others about the good work we've done in referrals. Great to be understanding and flexible yet also get things done.

University of Texas System Photos