University of Texas at Austin

www.utexas.edu

University of Texas at Austin Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.

William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, paid time off around holidays since University closes(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay, at least as a graduate student in engineering, isn't great, but you can pay your rent(in 13 reviews)

• No recent raises for most employees due to budget cuts(in 8 reviews)

269 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place. Lucky to be here.

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHigher Ed rocks. Always learning. Lots of good mentors.

ConsBeaurcracy can drive you crazy here. There are many rules and inefficiencies (as with most big institutions). Makes my life difficult sometimes.

Research associate

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood management from top to bottom of management

ConsLow salary and also no promotion

Athletic department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorked with facilities and operations. Always something new and different. Get to work in some of the best facilities of any university.

ConsVery hectic schedule. Like most government jobs constrained by purchasing rules and bureaucracy, though because it's such a money maker not as bad as other university departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to reduce unnecessary red tape and purchasing rules that don't actually save any money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job, lots of weekend work

Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsExpectations are clearly outlined for student and full-time staff. The full-time positions are competitive and often attract almost over-qualified candidates.

ConsFrustrating, slow-to-modernize IT infrastructure. Working with Admissions is customer service in the worst possible way: it's the gate to the university, and makes people very high strung.

Great experience

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSuper flexible hours with students, great coworkers

ConsThere were no cons, I greatly enjoyed it

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions after a year, healthier office culture

I am a graduate student in the department of environmental & water resources engineering

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStrong community among graduate students in the department, very friendly relationships with professors & advisors, a lot of resources here (if you look for them) to help you achieve your goals. Collaboration is encouraged. Easy to have a great work-life balance. Flexible schedule. Austin is awesome. If you are funded, it's a great life.

ConsNot all advisors are created equal: my advisor has too many students to deal with and so I hardly see him/her. Not a problem if you are extremely self-motivated and patient and know exactly what to do... I personally would have appreciated more guidance. But this is highly dependent on your advisor. Some of my peers are definitely overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake deeper interest in your students progress academically

Fun and a learning experience

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat way to learn and experience lab work in a stress free environment.

ConsNone, it's a pleasure to have such freedom to come and go as I please

Great, but time to leave.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI am a postdoc - I have a ton of flexibility and can often work from home. The campus is beautiful and it is fun to be part of the University.

ConsI love the university but working with one person over the years gets old and I'm not advancing my skill set in the way I'd like. Parking is a nightmare. I need to be part of a team. Where I am on campus has very limited food options.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe supportive when graduate students and postdocs want to leave academia and pursue non academic career paths. The current model is outdated.

Lots of burnt orange tape, but great autonomy.

Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe autonomy and flexibility I have in my current role is unbelievable. I am able to use my creativity and intuition to develop structures and programs that benefit students, which is what I am passionate about.

ConsLike any other large university, there is a lot of bureaucracy, politics, and big egos.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire smartly and restructure inefficient and unnecessary systems.

Good place to get your part time job

Learning Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI've been working as a learning assistant in the Physics department for more than a year. It is really enjoyable. The instructors are nice and it's a great experience to know more students and to improve my communication skills.

ConsIf you cannot find a good instructor, you might have difficulties working with the instructor. Some physics instructors are not very nice and they might not be good at communication with others. So, it is tough sometimes to get along with them.

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!