University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
4.2

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.
William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part (in 13 reviews)

• Stable compensation with great benefits in a fun environment (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student jobs are not compensated fairly (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay; increasing cost of living; some disengaged professors; lack of transparency (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

327 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They take care of their graduate students

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition assistance and excellent health insurance.

Cons

Pay is poor and departmental pay differences can vary by almost 100% for the same work.

Compensation should be structured better for TA's who have tuition assistance from other sources, but may need more cash on hand.

Great place to do research

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting government projects, flexible hours, friendly management. Access to University resources and competent technical staff. Director is one of kind, very friendly and knowledgeable. The staff are well versed and broad.

Cons

Difficult to grow. Flat organizational structure. Funded by soft-money, so when funding ends, so can the job.

Performance-based rewards are recommended (e.g., title changes and promotions).

My experience as a part-time student worker in the UT IT department

Current Employee - Desktop Support Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to take on projects and responsibilities as a student, flexible schedule, school holidays, opportunities to learn about IT! I personally have had some of the best managers that I bet I may ever have. Coworkers are friendly and will help you out if you have questions.

Cons

my department is undergoing a lot of growing pains, since we're expanding. The department is still relatively new and is working on standardizing processes, so sometimes a process may seem vague.

keep up the good work and culture as you expand.

Great company, great co-workers

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, projects are diverse and exciting, plenty of room to gain experience.

Cons

Hours can be long when there are numerous projects in the pipeline.

Need to care more about specifics of labs, more money would be good!

Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Qualify for in state tuition

Cons

Long lab hours, sometimes tiring

No advise

I was a learning assistant at UT.

Former Employee - Learning Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Learning Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was given a lot of responsibility and ownership over the role that I had. My instructor gave me a lot of freedom to be creative, while making sure that I didn't mess anything up. I gained a lot of valuable experience working with and for others in a productive learning environment.

Cons

There was no training. The pay was a little low. There really were no significant cons to this experience. Overall great!

Research Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

This is very nice researching university, providing opportunities to work with smart, learned and intelligent professors.

Cons

The rate is not high though.

If you want to pursue an academic career, this is a great starting point.

A large organization provides room to grow and advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin full-time

Pros

Stable compensation with great benefits in a fun environment.

Cons

Traditional environment makes it hard to be creative and innovation is slow to develop. A creative thinker looking for a place to excel, should look to the private sector. Politics create barriers.

Creativity and innovation are vital to growth so let it happen naturally. Don't turn your head just because it has never been done that way before.

When the time comes

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits for grad students who are 20 hours. Work is directly related to areas of study. Easy process to get hired. Professors have really interesting projects.

Cons

No grad position is the same which means you'll have to hope the right kind of project comes along when you are looking.

Keep doing what you're doing.

A collection of small entities.

Current Employee - Senior Information Technology Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Information Technology Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

UT is fairly stable. There is an emphasis on faculty and research. Many departments are cash strapped but some have plenty of funding. The central ITS department is very well run. The campus security officer is brilliant, as is the senior leadership in the networking group. Leadership is fairly solid at the VP and AVP levels. Below that it depends on the department. It's not common to work weekends, which is nice. But that depends on the department. UT has a lot of smart and friendly people. Over time it gets to be a comfortable family. UT is somewhat insulated from wild economic shifts. However, Austin in general has been growing so much it also has been insulated from downturns in recent years. Salaries are not very competitive with the private sector, in my opinion. UT Austin is a fantastic organization that is quite excellent at delivering a high-value education for a very competitive price. I'm proud that I help deliver that world-class growing experience for future leaders.

Cons

Technically speaking, UT is a collection of many small systems that coordinate beautifully to run a large operation. However, this approach has led to growing pains and disparate systems. An over-arching initiative to integrate shared services on campus in conjunction with a total replacement of the legacy mainframe and web environments have cause a great deal of frustration as the University works to bring in the new and remove the old. For skilled workers, this is a great opportunity. For legacy employees, it means integrating or moving out. It's fairly easy to get pigeon-holed in a particular department for years. Moving around is not very easy. If you are with a large department, it's easier to move within that department. Parking is about $400 a year for garage access-- but there's a long waiting list.

Cross train employees. Either pay for a gym membership, offer free parking, or give a $400 voucher to each employee. Accelerate the rollout of new systems. De-emphasize Microsoft technologies. The Board of Regents should try very hard to prevent state politics from affecting the operation of the institution. Only a small fraction of UT's dollars come from the state, yet our President was forced out of his office by the Governor's scandal-hunting cronies. It's a shame because President Powers was an exceptional leader.

University of Texas at Austin Photos