University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
4.2

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.
William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part (in 13 reviews)

• Stable compensation with great benefits in a fun environment (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student jobs are not compensated fairly (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay; increasing cost of living; some disengaged professors; lack of transparency (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

324 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Super flexible hours and very understandable on your needs because they know you are a student

Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed teaching at Sanger. The staffs are very nice people and they understand that we are also students, so we are not required to work during finals. They are always on the tutor's side when it comes to conflict with your tutees. They are also reasonable people.

Cons

Pay is ok. If you are really good at teaching, you probably can get paid more at other tutoring places, but I still chose Sanger because the location is on campus and they treat you well.

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Research Engineering/Scientist Associate III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Engineering/Scientist Associate III in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I had great colleagues in the departments I worked and a great selection of top notch seminars to attend. The University provides a good benefits package for staff, which is very helpful.

Cons

This is a state university with all the bureaucracy that comes with it. In scientific research, this can sometimes slow things down.

There have been great improvements made to OSP. However, the faster and less of a hassle you can make getting MTAs, the better off everyone involved in research at the University will be.

Good place to work Chances to move up are frequently provided

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's fun working on most college campuses. Most of the time, you'll find very agreeable bosses
    at UT since everyone is trying to keep the mood light while working hard.

Cons

Depending on your job, there can be some boring repetition. But all you need to do is stay put
    for a while and then seek a different position. Good place overall!

Pay all you can afford as both current and former students are often carrying large student loan debt. Fortunately, this school still offers fairly reasonable tuition/fees. Great place overall! Go Horns!

TA position

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

okay campus and work load.

Cons

low pay compared to other places

care more about research

A great opportunity, extremely challenging and I learned very much, working with a very diverse staff of people.

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diversity of the staff. Leadership opportunities. Very open environment, free to express views and to learn and grow.

Cons

Can be a bit disorganized

Be more organized.

Great place for work-study

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, free time, and easy to handle

Cons

Schedule can include other jobs besides the one applied for.

Great work!

Somewhat bureaucratic but high quality scientific research ecosystem

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many facilities available for research
    Being a very large organization, most of the times you can find the research equipment/software access to share
    Highly successful pool of people around
    Possibility of getting undergraduate assistance
    Equipment pricing are somewhat cheaper as the UT Austin has some Tax exemption and agreements with some vendors
    TACC (Supercomputing system)
    Nice shuttle service (if you stay in some of those areas well served by UT shuttles); bus frequency in far west area ~10 min during day time!
    Library service is great as almost all scientific journals from various fields are accessible as university hosts many specializations

Cons

Parking is not great if you are commuting by car; people need to park away from office and walk around 15 minutes to reach office even if they arrive earlier (~ 8:00 am)
    Somewhat process and regulation orientation bureaucratic organization. It is obvious due to its huge size

Pretty good.

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

access to lab equipment
    surrounded by like minded people

Cons

no pay
    lack of leadership in my lab

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great experience while working on your graduate degree, but TA positions vary greatly even within each faculty. The tuition reduction is also a great help.

Cons

The salary is fairly low, unless you add both the tuition reduction and your salary together. My personal experience wasn't a traditional TA position and I had little hands on teaching. Also, some TA positions expect close to 40 hours of work per week, which is hard while completing your Master's or PhD.

Clarify the extent of the work required and possibly name some of the TA positions as RA's instead.

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent employee benefits, comfortable working environment, potential for interacting and working with some of the best and brightest people you could ever hope to meet, potential for lots of wonderful and interesting challenges.

Cons

Three words -- Rice Bowl Politics. The bigger the University, the bigger and nastier the internal in-fighting can be. If you get in with the right people, it can be the greatest place you've ever been. But management can be changed on you overnight and it can suddenly become worst than your worst nightmare, especially if there are mandatory budget cuts across the entire University. Faculty are most highly valued, especially if they publish a lot and most especially if they can bring in big grant money.

Staff members are not peons. We should not be treated as pure cost centers, like rocks that should be squeezed for the last ounce of blood. We are enablers. We are force multipliers. Staff should be valued equal to, or above, any other group on campus. If you work to actively keep the staff happy, then everyone else is more likely to be happy. If you do things that make the staff unhappy, then no one else on campus will be happy.

University of Texas at Austin Photos