University of Texas at Austin

www.utexas.edu

University of Texas at Austin Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.

William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, paid time off around holidays since University closes(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay, at least as a graduate student in engineering, isn't great, but you can pay your rent(in 13 reviews)

• No recent raises for most employees due to budget cuts(in 8 reviews)

Great place to do a phd.

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAustin is a great city, a lot of fun. The university is huge, with all the resources you could want.

ConsA lot of work when not on scholarship, specially when you have to TA calculus.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, really.

Great Place

ProsThe people are extremely friendly and helpfull. They look out for you and you look out for them. Its like working with family

ConsEarly mornings and the pay is lower than average so its not the place if you're looking for raises and high pay

Employment as a graduate student at UT was very helpful for completing my degree.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSome of the pros include:
    -access to campus amenities (gyms, sporting events, etc)
    -paid tuition and monthly stipend
    -access to UT library system's publication connections
    -access to seminars and other educational events

ConsSome of the cons include:
    -low level of monthly stipend is just enough for living expenses and food
    -parking on campus is a pain

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best advice I could give would be to help graduate students find better means of getting to and parking on campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Work-Life Balance

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat work-life balance. Friendly co-workers, great office culture. Highly respected university.

ConsTough to implement change. Direct manager lacked technical knowledge and skills to be effective in role.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job at rewarding your star employees.

Job as computer lab proctor for three years

Lab Proctor (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexible hours, can have others cover if necessary
    Minimal work, can study on the job
    On campus
    Good boss/supervisor

ConsRelatively low pay/compensation
    No growth whatsoever
    Not very engaging
    Extremely early/late hours possible

A lot of work with very flexible times

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI really like that I can work whenever I want to, I can come in pretty late as long as I stay long enough to get the work done. I can structure my day however I want to. Research facilities are great and a lot of very good faculty.

ConsA lot of work and sometimes it is expected to come in at the weekends. Pay definitely doesn't make up for the hours, but I can take classes and get a degree.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsExtraordinary resources: libraries, research centers, faculty, students, personnel, etc. Enjoyable place to work, especially as a graduate student when you need a flexible work schedule. Since many people are "moving through" Austin, you inevitably establish a nationwide network of contacts who fondly remember their time in Texas.

ConsDepending on the department or college you work for, your pay is low though the benefits are great. Also, depending on what type of course you're assisting (lower-level vs upper), your workload may overflow the established hours.

Staff experience

ProsA collaborative community, with a lot of encouragement to implement new ideas. The compensation is on par with other R1 institutions.

ConsI'll echo other's concerns for career advancement. While ingenuity seems to be well received, I've not seen opportunities for promotion. Vacation time seems to be less ample than what's offered at other institutions UT starts with 12 vacation days per 12 month appointment, as opposed to the 20-22 vacation days I've received as academic staff at other institutions.

Good experience as research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLearned a lot. Good training and academic resources. Also got good benefits such as healthcare, dental, etc.

ConsI worked at the PRC campus up north. Working here, it was a bit detached from the main campus and lacked a sense of community.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo major advice

It was great to work here.

ProsEnvironment, people, culture, can study during the time you worked as a student worker.

ConsI can' think of any cons.

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!