University of Texas at Austin
www.utexas.edu Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

University of Texas at Austin Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.

William Powers Jr.

Pros:
  • "Easy to have a great work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great benefits, paid time off around holidays since University closes"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The pay, at least as a graduate student in engineering, isn't great, but you can pay your rent"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No recent raises for most employees due to budget cuts"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Can excel if you know the right people; great facilities and very professional

Student Assistant (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosgreat bus system, students/employees ride bus for free
    if you know the right people, publishing research, making UT look good in some way then you can climb

Consrent is sky rocketing
    traffic is crazy and parking on campus is pretty pricey
    not sure about their EEO policies, there seem to be some disparities

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a more diverse employee population in senior and higher roles; still strong southern 1800s values

Seven years spent within university administration have been rewarding, thus far.

Administrator (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCurrently I enjoy working with my colleagues most of all. They challenge me on a daily bases with work issues and as a result there is never a dull moment. We tackle complex problems on behalf of all university departments and I enjoy problem solving and working through issues until they are solved.

ConsThe budget crises has gone on for a long time. The university is definitely not the place to work if you want to get rich. But if you want to grow your career knowledge and become an expert in your field, then you can definitely hone your craft and gain experience as a trade off.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate early and often, with as much transparency as you can stomach. Also, it's ok to say "no" and to simply move on; it's impossible to please everyone. There is far too much pandering to the lowest common denominator or doing things by consensus.Sometimes a leader just needs to solicit the input, decide what will happen, and that's it, it's a done deal. Even if it's unpopular.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIt's nice working at a university. People are usually nice. The vacation time and sick time that you earn are you work is pretty good. It's really nice to have winter break off (and still get paid). The job is straight forward. You know what to expect everyday. Not usually surprises. I really enjoy working here. I definitely think that the pros out weigh the cons.

ConsUT has a lot of policies and procedures that you have to follow. There is always 1,000+ rules for everything you or the students to follow. Nothing is simple. I understand why it is strict, but sometimes it is just a pain. The maternity leave benefit is horrible. You have to use all of your over time, comp time, vacation time and sick time. After you run out of all of those, you get leave without pay. When you return to work, you are left with no vacation time and no sick time. Another con is parking. Parking is a beast. It is hard to move up positions without getting a master's degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaternity leave policy needs to be looked at again. The parking situation sucks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery great people working with you. Employers are very willing to work with your schedule if you are a student.

ConsAustin is getting very crowded, therefore the drive to campus is a bit difficult. This is especially true during lunch time!

Great benefits, laid back atmosphere, not great opportunities for growth

Graduate Program Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosgood insurance, great vacation and sick leave, laid back, excellent retirement plan, more secure and stable than private industry

Consnot a lot of room for growth, salaries are on the low side, bureaucracy sometimes protects and sometimes restricts, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees you have and create as much room for growth and raises as possible. Respect staff as a vital part of the University.

Great learning experience

Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsPrepared me for a future in my career.

ConsThe pay was not enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more to retain better employees.

great teachers awesome place

ProsI love the instructors and the facilities

Conslack of opportunities for promotion

Great!!

Student Worker (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAllow you to manage school and work hours

ConsAbsolutely no cons during my experience

Great employer

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThough you are essentially working a state job, overall UT-Austin is an excellent employer with great benefits and a great network. I very much enjoyed working there.

ConsThe pay is not necessarily as competitive, even though the benefits are good. A lot of it depends on the department in which you work.

Good place to live

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe University is a free place for research and engineering, a lot of resources to use and a lot of smart people to work with

ConsTypically you won't get too much money and according to the level of the university, most people cannot achieve too much in their research, most likely a educational preparation for job market.

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Texas at Austin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Texas at Austin CEO William Powers Jr. All 380 reviews posted anonymously by University of Texas at Austin employees.