University of Texas at Austin

www.utexas.edu

University of Texas at Austin Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.

William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, paid time off around holidays since University closes(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay, at least as a graduate student in engineering, isn't great, but you can pay your rent(in 13 reviews)

• No recent raises for most employees due to budget cuts(in 8 reviews)

University of Texas Review

Information Technology Coordinator II (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- The department I worked in was a very close knit group.
    - Everyone got along very well.
    - People I interacted with were top notch.
    - Used updated technology.

Cons- Minimal pay increases due to budgets.
    - Fairly slow moving when it comes to policies being changed.
    - Parking is very difficult to find.

All is great at UT Austin!

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAbout UT Austin: Huge campus, friendly colleagues, top quality research, high student quality, many grants and resources are available, perfect location. Plus: The city of Austin is fantastic because its young people, vibrant atmosphere, techies + cowboys + hippies all in one place.

ConsUT Austin is a public university and hence it may fall prey of state politics. Not a big deal.

Great Benefits

Administrative Associate (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat Benefits
    Free CapMetro, great health insurance, decent pay

ConsLots of UT specific training that wont translate.
    Lots of bureaucracy, and working with faculty can be kind of demeaning as an admin, although not always

Advice to Senior ManagementWork better with admins on development of outside UT skills

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

ProsFkexibility, leadership, professional development, salary hike, rewards

ConsNone, None, None, None, None

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job.

Being a FIG Mentor is a wonderful experience

FIG Mentor (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-Great oppurtunities to make a difference in the minds of incoming freshmen
    -Extremely flexible hours
    -Easy Money
    -Great Administration

Cons-Students and FIG Mentor supervisors are luck of the draw. You may get terrible picks of each, fantastic picks of each, or somewhere in between

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on training staff advisors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of quality research being performed

ConsIt's very hot in Texas!

Can excel if you know the right people; great facilities and very professional

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgreat bus system, students/employees ride bus for free
    if you know the right people, publishing research, making UT look good in some way then you can climb

Consrent is sky rocketing
    traffic is crazy and parking on campus is pretty pricey
    not sure about their EEO policies, there seem to be some disparities

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a more diverse employee population in senior and higher roles; still strong southern 1800s values

Good experience.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNo state tax. Retirement benefit is fine.

ConsAustin is a expensive place compared to other places in Texas

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more efficient.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt's nice working at a university. People are usually nice. The vacation time and sick time that you earn are you work is pretty good. It's really nice to have winter break off (and still get paid). The job is straight forward. You know what to expect everyday. Not usually surprises. I really enjoy working here. I definitely think that the pros out weigh the cons.

ConsUT has a lot of policies and procedures that you have to follow. There is always 1,000+ rules for everything you or the students to follow. Nothing is simple. I understand why it is strict, but sometimes it is just a pain. The maternity leave benefit is horrible. You have to use all of your over time, comp time, vacation time and sick time. After you run out of all of those, you get leave without pay. When you return to work, you are left with no vacation time and no sick time. Another con is parking. Parking is a beast. It is hard to move up positions without getting a master's degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaternity leave policy needs to be looked at again. The parking situation sucks.

Seven years spent within university administration have been rewarding, thus far.

Administrator (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCurrently I enjoy working with my colleagues most of all. They challenge me on a daily bases with work issues and as a result there is never a dull moment. We tackle complex problems on behalf of all university departments and I enjoy problem solving and working through issues until they are solved.

ConsThe budget crises has gone on for a long time. The university is definitely not the place to work if you want to get rich. But if you want to grow your career knowledge and become an expert in your field, then you can definitely hone your craft and gain experience as a trade off.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate early and often, with as much transparency as you can stomach. Also, it's ok to say "no" and to simply move on; it's impossible to please everyone. There is far too much pandering to the lowest common denominator or doing things by consensus.Sometimes a leader just needs to solicit the input, decide what will happen, and that's it, it's a done deal. Even if it's unpopular.

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!