University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
4.2

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.
William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, paid time off around holidays since University closes (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student jobs are not compensated fairly (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay; increasing cost of living; some disengaged professors; lack of transparency (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Supportive staff, flexible hours, and an enriching experience.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time for less than a year

Pros

-In the labs the hours are very relaxed and the graduate researchers understand how busy life can be
    -Payment process is easy and pay periods are clearly defined
    -Coworkers are very congenial and helpful and adept at explaining the experiments and scientific theory behind them

Cons

-It takes forever to receive the money from a pay period
    -Certain safety training sessions are redundant and seem pretty unnecessary considering how common sensical they are
    -Occasionally there's nothing to do so it can get a little boring

Research Assistant for Geostatistics Research group of Petroleum Engineering

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible time to research
    Do research with Learning petroleum engineering
    Could leave University Apartment with cheap monthly rent fee

Cons

Research stress
    Hot weather of Texas
    a little payment for Research Assistant

UT Austin is a great employer and I really enjoyed my time there.

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture of the school in general is very laid back. HR is easy to deal with, systems are modern and user-friendly.

Cons

Salary can be on the low end.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Student Experience

I worked at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

The university is very positive and up beat. For students, TA, tutor, mentor, etc. jobs tend to have flexible schedules that make it easy to work with a college schedule. It is generally easy to pick the professor you work for which makes it easy to like your boss. If you work in research or teaching related your academic field, the experience is a great resume boost.

Cons

Pay is generally low. Depending on your department, there might be a fair amount of politics. The work load tends to vary a lot from week to week and course to course, so figuring out how much time the job will take is difficult the first semester or two..

Graduate student

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX

Pros

Great school, great programs, glad to be at such a great institution.

Cons

Stipends aren't currently enough to balance with rising living costs.

Adjust stipends accordingly

I have had a wonderful graduate student experience, with good facilities, faculty and funding opportunities.

Current Employee - Graduate Student (Behavioral Neuroscience)  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Student (Behavioral Neuroscience) in Austin, TX

Pros

Austin is a fun city. The faculty are laid back but productive. Great collaborative environment. Many labs are well-funded, allowing for more freedom to design and carry out your own research projects (as opposed to sticking with pre designed funded research projects).

Cons

Too many neuroscience graduate students. The job market is too small for the number of training neuroscience students. The pay is average compared to similar graduate programs, but overall seems too little for the overall workload.

Work on supplying graduate students with better pay and more opportunities for scholarships and fellowships.

Personal and Engaging

Former Employee - Department of Housing and Food  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Department of Housing and Food in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible hours, lots of discretion in planning and implementing fun and educational activities for students. I really enjoyed the emphasis on mentorship.

Cons

Working with students is sometimes difficult when you yourself are one; differences in personality seem to lead to conflict in open environments like this; wished benefits would increase and there wasn't as much red tape in planning events.

A diverse ecosystem that offers many opportunities but often withf a reduced pay scale.

Current Employee - Computer Programmer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent colleagues spread across a broad array of knowledge domains. Access to cutting edge world-class infrastructure, technology, research facilities and projects. The ability to impact the world by contributing to projects that directly improve global conditions or promote education and awareness. Long and frequent holidays with a progressive vacation leave and good benefits package. Generally very flexible with balancing family and work.

Cons

Reduced pay rate. Limited options in choice of benefit package options. Limited vertical career advancement. An almost endless ban on salary increases, bonuses and promotion opportunities.

Pay your employees competitive salaries so they do not leave for private sector employment where they are appropriately compensated. Additionally, create well defined and regular opportunities for upward career growth or incentive bonuses for exceptional work.

Laid Back

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's very flexible. You can either choose to work in appointment tutoring (AT) only or do both AT and drop in tutoring. You can set your hours and work as many hours as you like. The only requirement is that you post at least 10 hours of availability each week.

Cons

The only challenge is sometimes not being able to answer a student's question.

Best Place for Student Workers

Current Employee - Student Associate
    Current Employee - Student Associate

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the Provost's office for the information management department and had an incredibly flexible schedule I could design completely to my needs. The bosses were incredibly nice about any need for school to come first. The whole time I was there I really felt like I was a part of a team.

Cons

This job doesn't provide a whole lot of future career training. Some of the skills need for this job are not transferrable to other positions.

University of Texas at Austin Photos

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!