University of Texas at Austin Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
4.1
University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.
William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • Easy to have a great work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Stable compensation with great benefits in a fun environment (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student jobs are not compensated fairly (in 14 reviews)

• low pay compared to other places (in 11 reviews)

ARL great place to work if you really like engineering and don't like corporate BS...

Current Employee - Engineering Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Research Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, in that there's not a lot of pressure to work overtime or meet stringent goals. They expect engineers to generally manage their own time and tasks, talking to senior engineers when necessary to proceed with personal work. Challenging work...lots of DSP, pushing embedded processors and systems to the limit, advanced analog design both in power and signal filtering. Very little BS..as in the kind you get at a corporation, such as endless meetings, pointless emails, idiot bosses (all management comes from the inside and are engineers).

Cons

The saying goes "you'll never get rich working here". Probably limited potential to become a manager as well, since engineers stay here so long.

Advice to Management

It's perfect the way it is.

2. UT Austin is a great place to work where people are all helping you succeed.

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

The work is very relax and everyone is very nice and laidback. You have a lot of opportunity for growth and they really promote that here. UT Austin is just an excellent place for an internship and the staff is excellent to work with. I was an intern and everyone was always helping me complete everything and assessing me in learning everything possible. I cant think of anything better to say than UT was great and i would highly recommend it to everyone wanting to gain experience and knowledge. It is really good place to work for here at UT.

Cons

Sometimes i felt that it was too laidback. I am young and am currently wanting a bigger challenge. I want to learn things and work and work to get my money. Many people here are okay with just being more on the relaxed side of things and getting things donde more laid back. Since I am at the time of life right now where I really want to be working and i think i need to advance my career somewhere where it is more of a fast paced place and things just go and go and go. Other than that it is great.

Advice to Management

Everything has been great at this job. I have really enjoyed working here and everyone is extremely respectful and nice. There is not one thing that I could say negativvely about the people I have worked with since everyone has always given me the uttermost importance and always wanting me to learn more things. They have provided me with all of the tools necessary to succeed in the business world.

3. Great uni to work for

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

Excellent pay for the job and competitive work environment. Great co-workers that are friendly and helpful. I work as a RA and UT gives excellent opportunities to advanced both within my department and within the overall field that I work for. Although hours can get long the work is worth it, and there are always others around to help when things get too over whelming. Management is generally good about being flexible and about taking care of their employees which is a big upshot about the job that other jobs cant really boast about.

Cons

Long hours with occasional hectic work schedules.

Advice to Management

Better organizational skills on their part to lessen the number of times that were schedules get out of control

5. Great place to work as a scientist

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

interesting problems, access to an amazing library and resources (probably the best managed computer network I have seen), great people and collaborative environment, a great place to find and explore new ideas

Cons

compensation is less than industry, but that is to be expected at a state university. not a con of UT in particular, but one has to compete for funding every year or so ("soft-money")

Advice to Management

none, really. a lot depends on the PI of the projects you work on. I had the luck to work with great people, but your mileage may vary.

6. Good Learning Experience

Current Employee - Graphic Design in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graphic Design in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

Employers at UT are very flexible with student schedules. Working in the graphics lab gives a great opportunity to grow.

Cons

Working with clients that are students can be frustrating. Sometimes they aren't very organized or prompt to communicate with you.

Advice to Management

Only advice is to make sure that chairs of committees are on top of things and communicating to everyone around them effectively.

7. Graduate Student Review

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

I love the great benefits, like State of Texas employee health insurance and lots of vacation time. Also the campus is beautiful, the environment is friendly, and usually you can have a flexible work schedule. And there seems to be a lot of employee programs to take advantage of, from career development seminars to quit smoking programs.

Cons

The Departmental politics can be very stressful. Also, the low numbers of female tenured professors is a little distressing. Office space is always at a premium, so don't expect a lot of private work space.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice.

8. Good expericen is gained

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

The school and place are very nice, with excellence professors/teachers and people there. Anyway, a very nice memory for me.

Cons

I do not like the place in Austin after I came to CA now. It's much less people to interacted with them.

Advice to Management

The on-campus parking is very hard. This limited our freedom to utilize the facility in school. We need more space for parking.

9. I LOVED working at UT doing research, but could not afford it for long

Former Employee - GRA Researcher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - GRA Researcher in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

Every morning I woke up excited that I could do more research at the University of Texas AND get paid for it. Great work environment, and room to expand, explore, and grow in knowledge.

Cons

As a university, they have to stretch their funding quite far, so they are not able to pay very much for something you could make a lot more at outside the system.

Advice to Management

Hang through these tough times, and try to involve more of your staff in efforts to get outside funding. You could also work more at getting various branches of the university to complement each other.

10. Part Time Student Position

Former Employee - Student Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Student Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

Established institution that allows for personal growth within the field you work. It has great compensation for employees and it offers flexible schedules for employees.

Cons

There are limitations for professional growth, but there are networking developments that can allow for growth elsewhere within the university or the community.

Advice to Management

Great work, but more communication is needed. Thorough information on changes in policies would be greatly appreciated so employees can stay connected with updates and changes that can affect them like promotions and or bonuses.

11. Great research and learning opportunities

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

-Highly competent professors -Good project funding

Cons

-Research tends to be time consuming (but this is just the way of the graduate student)

Advice to Management

-None

RSS Feed </> Embed