University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas at Austin Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
4.2

University of Texas at Austin President William Powers Jr.
William Powers Jr.

Pros
  • They are flexible and work with you in maintaining a work/life balance for the most part (in 13 reviews)

• Stable compensation with great benefits in a fun environment (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student jobs are not compensated fairly (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay; increasing cost of living; some disengaged professors; lack of transparency (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to study and work.

Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a student, working helps you find connections that can go a long way.

Cons

Sometimes resistant to change in systems.

Campus facilities planning and management student employee

Current Employee - Campus Environmental Center Student Director
    Current Employee - Campus Environmental Center Student Director

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent place to work as a student--CPFM was very flexible with academic engagements. Additionally, as a student working in the environmental sector and coming from the environmentally minded student community, I felt like my voice was heard by the system and that all my supervisors were open to new ideas and supportive of student/independently formulated projects.

Cons

The size of UT is both a pro and a con. It allows for great resources, but sometimes makes approvals for events (I worked a lot on outdoor events) tedious.

Developing respected work place

Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good environment, secure place to work, nice people.

Cons

It is state job, so salary raise is low, .

Employment evaluation should be more fair.

Great Part-Time Job as a Student

Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job is fairly simple and they only hire you if you are an expert in the subject you tutor. It helps if you have already taken the courses or are currently taking related courses because it serves as a great way to review the material and keep it fresh in your head.

Cons

Variable work hours, hourly pay.

Right fit for me

Current Employee - Graduate Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Within my group, I'm allowed a flexible schedule. This is great because I commute about 45-60 minutes each way. I'm trusted and given a lot of autonomy. The 2 weeks paid time off around the holidays is amazing, doesn't come out of your vacation allowance. Every department/office is different so I can only speak to mine, and it's awesome!!

Cons

The pay isn't very competitive at times. Raises don't happen every year or even every other year. If you do get one, it's only about 2% which doesn't even cover the cost of inflation or rising insurance premiums so in reality I make less and less every year. Raises should be based on how well the employee is doing, to compensate their hard work, not on if they got one last year or not. If you got one last year, you won't get one this year. The only way to get paid more is to move from job to job. This is disheartening because I LOVE my current position and don't want to leave it. But if I continue getting this pay, I will have to move on. Parking is horrible for staff. Every year they take away more and more staff parking (A permits). This is very challenging and frustrating. The parking garage wait is about 2-4 years too.

Stop taking away all our staff parking OR create more parking garages to compensate. Allow us to get more than the standard 2% raise that doesn't even cover inflation.

A Good Student Experience

I worked at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

The university is very positive and up beat. For students, TA, tutor, mentor, etc. jobs tend to have flexible schedules that make it easy to work with a college schedule. It is generally easy to pick the professor you work for which makes it easy to like your boss. If you work in research or teaching related your academic field, the experience is a great resume boost.

Cons

Pay is generally low. Depending on your department, there might be a fair amount of politics. The work load tends to vary a lot from week to week and course to course, so figuring out how much time the job will take is difficult the first semester or two..

Graduate student

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX

Pros

Great school, great programs, glad to be at such a great institution.

Cons

Stipends aren't currently enough to balance with rising living costs.

Adjust stipends accordingly

I have had a wonderful graduate student experience, with good facilities, faculty and funding opportunities.

Current Employee - Graduate Student (Behavioral Neuroscience) in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Student (Behavioral Neuroscience) in Austin, TX

Pros

Austin is a fun city. The faculty are laid back but productive. Great collaborative environment. Many labs are well-funded, allowing for more freedom to design and carry out your own research projects (as opposed to sticking with pre designed funded research projects).

Cons

Too many neuroscience graduate students. The job market is too small for the number of training neuroscience students. The pay is average compared to similar graduate programs, but overall seems too little for the overall workload.

Work on supplying graduate students with better pay and more opportunities for scholarships and fellowships.

Laid back work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Austin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is some prestige in saying you work at UT.

Cons

It can feel too large. You can feel like you are there and no one knows you are.

Supportive staff, flexible hours, and an enriching experience.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-In the labs the hours are very relaxed and the graduate researchers understand how busy life can be
    -Payment process is easy and pay periods are clearly defined
    -Coworkers are very congenial and helpful and adept at explaining the experiments and scientific theory behind them

Cons

-It takes forever to receive the money from a pay period
    -Certain safety training sessions are redundant and seem pretty unnecessary considering how common sensical they are
    -Occasionally there's nothing to do so it can get a little boring

University of Texas at Austin Photos