University of Texas at El Paso

www.utep.edu

University of Texas at El Paso Reviews in El Paso, TX

Updated Jul 18, 2014
University of Texas at El Paso – El Paso – “New building construction”

University of Texas at El Paso – El Paso – “New building construction”

University of Texas at El Paso President Diana S. Natalicio

Diana S. Natalicio

Pros
  • friendly co-workers willing to help (in 3 reviews)

• Winter breaks & holidays off (school schedule) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • UTEP does not pay their work studies enough (in 4 reviews)

• Limited exposure and high rank publication (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights
38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work for students.

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsIf you are student at UTEP and work for the university it is possible you may have your own office and desktop computer. This makes studying and doing homework on campus very conveinant. There are other perks to working for the University liek having after hours buidling access and a set of keys. This comes in handy for those late night projects you have been working on all semester.

ConsIf you work for the university you may start to feel like you live on Campus. That's just life though if your a student. Another downside to student employment is that there are no benefits and the pay is really low.

The best job while attending full-time graduate school

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsThe job is on campus, which makes it really easy to work and take classes without the need of driving. Also, jobs inside UTEP are respectful of their student's class schedule.

ConsThe pay is not competitive with other off-campus options. Also, really few choices to eat healthy around campus, so you should bring your own lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to get or find a job inside campus, is usually by referral. And many capable students are left outside of the 'circle'. Maybe a UTEP only career fair would be a good idea!

Information Technology , tech

IT Tech (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsGreat boss, co-workers knowledgeable and willing to teach and training you
    Hours are flex if need be Team is outstanding

ConsHigher ups, down nose the workers A lot of politics and butt kissing

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter higher up leadership Top down issues

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Student Work

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsAs a resident assistant, you get free dorm, $150/semester for food, $20/semester for laundry, and &200/month! It's a pretty sweet deal if you were living on campus anyway as rent starts at $600/month. But what makes the job amazing is the fun and friendly staff who are always understanding of your school schedule and support you for far longer than your employment lasts.

ConsThat one call at 4AM about a drunk resident that you will have to take.

If you weren't living on campus to begin with, you could be making more money elsewhere. This isn't a job that pays for your 6GB phone bill, car insurance, going out to eat money, and groceries

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome work and thanks for keeping the employee atmosphere so positive!

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsFlexible schedule
    Learning Environment
    If you like school, you might like this.

ConsLow salary
    Cut throat environment
    Depending on what department you work for, budget can be very limiting

Great Student-Employee Experience

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsProfessors were a pleasure to work with. Program directors and supervisors were easy to meet with and were very accommodating.

ConsLack of departmental funding.

Excellent experience!

Undergraduate Financial Assistant (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsGreat supervisor and co-workers, helping students develop

ConsLocation was far from where I lived.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the hard work

Great work while attending school full time.

ACES Associate (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsArranging your hours based on your class schedule is very flexible. I learned to be comfortable working with others and constantly contributing to team discussions. I was exposed to many projects and events hosted by the College of Engineering which were fun most of the time.

ConsSometimes you tend to work over your scheduled hours and when dealt a task, it is usually unclear what exactly needs to be done. Communication can be lacking at times when asking coworkers for input.

A good place to work while studying your master degree.

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsNetworking, Research, Schedule Flexibility; Depending on the professors you are assigned to work for, you can practice/test some university (business in my case) knowledge you have learned so far.

ConsSometimes lack of position recognition before companies' eyes; bureaucracy at some levels; low payment; no bonuses or monetary benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpowered more your TAs, assistant professor (PhDs) to enhance and implement processes in order to rise efficiency.

Friendly environment

Unergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

Prosrelaxed setting and friendly coworkers

Conscan get pretty hectic and pay isnt as great

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for University of Texas at El Paso? Contribute to the Community!