University of Toronto

www.utoronto.ca

University of Toronto Reviews in Toronto, ON

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Meric Gertler

Pros
  • Work life balance is good here; in particular, the hours are flexible in my position(in 10 reviews)

• Excellent work environment, very friendly staff, good pay and very good benefits(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Working hours are not strictly what they say in the contract(in 10 reviews)

• salary is low and no benefits for senior researcher such as PhD or postdoctoral fellow(in 7 reviews)

202 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Teaching assistant

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPart of a union, so benefits and pay are good. Expectations, hours, and workload are generally very reasonable. Supervisors are friendly and easy to work with.

ConsWorkload varies quite a bit over the course of an academic term. Depending on the size of the course and the nature of assignments, marking get be very tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for TAs and course instructors re: students registered with accessibility services.

Good place to work

Development Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- lots of opportunities for training on new skills
    - can always take advantage of academic offerings
    - free tuition
    - great benefits and pension plan

Cons- many employees unionized which doesn't reward high performing employees since everyone gets the same raise
    - not much promotion from within in advancement

Great experience

PhD Student (Medical Sciences) (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Bright profs, very research friendly environment, lots of opportunities and collaborations (medical sciences)
    -Great location in the middle of the city, Toronto is a very lively metropolis
    -Prestigious institution, a sense of pride and very up-beat

Cons-Expensive living cost, especially given that you are paid the same as every other university in Canada that is located in small towns or in middle of no where
    -Some times competition becomes overwhelming

Advice to Senior Management-Increase graduate student stipend to at least keep pace with inflation!! In order to attract and not starve future bright minds

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intramural official

Soccer Referee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsStudent freindly environment.
    Job time was flexible

ConsNone to report of for this company

An excellent engineering graduate school for extensive learning experience

Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe professors are highly talented individuals with industrially linked for their research project purposes. So, the projects are sources for realistic preparation ground unlike most universities.

ConsThe university demands too much time from personal life with minimal pay.

Im a student at U of T, I have worked in labarotory research.

Lab Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt provides numerous resoures and connections since Toronto is the biggest city in Canada and is leads in many sectors. including scientific research, education, finance, and business.

ConsThe competition is high here. You need to find you own pace of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe resources must be put into profitble sectors.

PhD Student

Student (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsChallenging and interesting. Allows freedom in topics of research.

ConsScholarships pays quite poor, compares to industry.

Great teaching experience opportunities

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Allows teaching assistants to fully engage with their students to help promote understanding of material
    - Pay is above average for teaching assistants in the GTA.

Cons- Try to make sure TAs have a variety of tasks to do (not just labelled as a "marking TA")

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more screening of TAs done to make sure they can speak proper English

Working as TA at UofT can be both challenging and rewarding at the same time!

Graduate Student/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking with students is a great way to improve interpersonal skills and your leadership skills. UofT is a well established university worldwide.

ConsI wish I had more hours to as a TA. I wish I had more time to dedicate to each student separately, at times it can get overwhelming to attend to a large student group at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps organizing a weekly meeting with all the TAs in order to make sure a consistent result can be very beneficial.

Not a great place if you are looking for a career; unionized jobs with a weak union.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDiscounts on tuition fees; free undergraduate tuition for children.

ConsPoor health and pension plan; low wages; routine, unpaid, overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the employment agreements you agreed to with the union, don't try to stall every step in the process. Check on overtime, it's being abused. Not everyone is 45+ with children, some of us want to have careers. Culture of doing as little as possible, going the extra mile is not rewarded (possibly penalized).

Worked for University of Toronto? Contribute to the Community!