University of Utah

www.utah.edu

University of Utah Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of Utah President David W. Pershing, Ph.D.

David W. Pershing, Ph.D.

Pros
  • Work life balance is easy to maintain(in 10 reviews)

• Great place for school, lots of work opportunities(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, lots of red tape for a raise or promotion since it's government funded(in 9 reviews)

• Benefits not extended to part-time employees(in 5 reviews)

Decent opportunity for students

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsResearch projects were available for students.

ConsNot an ideal place to look for job opportunities after graduation.

Great on campus job for getting into student culture; but it's run of the mill retail.

Customer Service Associate, Bookstore Specialist (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsManagement has changed since I left, but last I was there they were implementing a deeper leadership and development program for frontline supervisors (something to combat high turnover in their most seasoned employees).

Compensation is what you'd expect for retail (minimum wage), with cents on the dollar pay raises for each semester you stay on after your temporary status.

Benefits are a plus: Textbook rental is a big draw for student employees (expect some paperwork and a textbook rental night; if there are used copies, you only get used copies.

Great student run culture; "gnarly" was used in our mission statement. As a student employer the store is pretty good about being flexible with your class schedule.

ConsA general malaise and apathy towards employee development (again high turnover with students is a contributing factor). As I mentioned, I believe that has improved since I left.

The organization was fairly vertically hierarchical last I was there. I had a great relationship with my supervisors, but upper management is pretty inaccessible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with employee development, it was nice to finally feel recognized as having some potential. Adding something to the experience that will help students in their future careers to say that it wasn't just a job they did to get through college.

Excellent place to work as a high school student during the summer. There are many research opportunities.

Summer Research Assistance (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Pros-The hourly wage is great for a summer job as a high school student or college student.
    -The atmosphere in most research labs is rather laid back
    -You will have the opportunity to learn many new things (as long as you ask questions and are interested in your work)
    -Research experience looks great on your resume

Cons-For many high school students, the jobs can be rather monotonous. However, it varies from group to group
    -At times you may not have a lot of direction regarding what you should do. Although, this gives the chance to a self-directed learner

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Registered nurse

Prosgood benefits, stable, annual pay raise, organized, good HR

Conshard to get a job unless you know someone who works there

Great academic environment with good facilties

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood brand value, good academic environment, staff is friendly

ConsLocation is not great from career opportunities. Few companies from other location especially from east coast visit the campus

Good

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood atmosphere and great people. I was a full-time student at the time and this position never made me compromise my studies.

ConsNot many cons I can think of.

Good

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsTraining, work-life balance, nice place to work

ConsWork-life balance is really good.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better.

"U of U college experience"

ProsGreat place for school, lots of work opportunities.

ConsExpensive compared to other schools in the area

hca

HCA (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Prosnice people and great place to work. very cool benefit include healthcare, schooling and time off pay

Consthe working hours could be very flexable and you may on the on call list and come to work in the midnight

Advice to Senior Managementimproving work out with the schedule with emplyees

Staff nurse on various Oncology units

Oncology Staff Nurse (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe oncology units really pamper their nurses. Notes of encouragement, tokens of appreciation, and an open door policy to meet with managers.

ConsThere are the usual annoying office politics--just stay out them as much as possible. If it's a serious issue, the management will step in and facilitate a solution rather than ignoring it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going!

Worked for University of Utah? Contribute to the Community!