University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.6

David Entwistle

Pros
  • Good benefits, steady job, wide range of departments and positions to move into (in 10 reviews)

• Company has great benefits including reduced tuition after 6 months (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Those people who are successful at their job are rewarded with more work (in 2 reviews)

• Low pay, with little to no chance of a raise (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Registered Nurse- Outpatient Clinic

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has great benefits including reduced tuition after 6 months. Very patient focused. Well respected hospital in the Intermountain West.

Cons

Management can be difficult and distant, unable or unwilling to help. Hospital politics can become a huge issue if you upset the wrong person. You must pay for a parking pass, and if you come to work after 9:30am there are no available parking spots remotely close to your building.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Referral Specialist  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Referral Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Benefits are excellent, leadership is good.

Cons

Favortism is always a big issue

4 Years in the Facilities and Engineering Dept.

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are lots of opportunity to get free trades training, business writing, and leadership programs. The dept. has the cutting edge for maintenance and asset manager program. Technician have Ipads to look up work orders and able to communicate to their supervisor, buyer, and other techs. Great benefits, retirement, free UTA TAP/ON Pass, give employee appreciation gift cards/meal tickets. (50% Tuition for school) Scholarship opportunity.

Cons

Parking is hard that is why they encourage you to use UTA. For F&E dept. No accountability for Tech that do not do their work and supervisor don't care. A lot of blame is pointed to support services when they try to show multiple solution and the tech has to do a few work. When Supervisor and Manager retire and leave they say it is Most Qualify Person but goes with the Technician that has been there the longest and have poor Leadership/manager skills.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better than a nursing home

Current Employee - Health Unit Coordinator  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great learning environment, awesome staff, good reputation, knowledgeable colleagues, decent benefits.

Cons

Upper management is frustrating and unaccommodating. Lots of politics involved, and they don't listen to floor staff.

Listen to your little people. They're what the company is built on. Maybe instead of paying your nurse managers upwards of $150K/year, you could offer your employees some kind of monetary incentive to pick up shifts so we aren't ALWAYS short, or, I don't know, give us a reward for our hospital being ranked #1 in Utah. (You know, it's OUR efforts on the floor that contribute greatly to that. And the banner was a nice touch, but we would've appreciated something that actually thanked us for our efforts... not something that mainly served as an advertisement on your end. Hell, we would've been tickled pink with a free drink from Starbucks or a meal voucher for the [overpriced] cafeteria. Anything.)

Great learning environment

Current Employee - RN  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - RN in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Health insurance is very affordable, tuition reduction is a great option for employees. The environment at the U is great, it's a very diverse campus.

Cons

Parking is awful, pay raises are minimal, it seems like the hospital has lost the ability to recognize employees individually over the last few years.

It is a very nice place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The University offers great benefits and a stimulating work environment. When you work for the U of U Hospitals and Clinics, you take pride in offering the best in patient care, research and teaching.

Cons

It is a big organization with strict HR guidelines which can be abused by some employees.

neutral

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

great staff, concern for patient welfare

Cons

lower compensation, rigid management, subjective assessment of staff

Mental Health Social worker

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time for less than a year

Pros

diverse exposure to different health care disciplines.

Cons

mentor-ship needs to be improved. Too much guess work and not enough training

allow permanent placements after practicum

I enjoy working here.

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics

Pros

Generally great staff. Some managers are great, others not as much. It just depends on the department. They do have a great retirement plan that matches your contribution up to a certain point. The half price tuition for yourself and family is awesome once you have worked there long enough to get that benefit.

Cons

The pay could be better. Health insurance cost doubled two years ago, but it's still fairly reasonable depending on the plan you choose.

They get a lot of things right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

The benefits are still pretty good. Pay is decent. There is plenty of opportunity to grow professionally if you have a desire. In some departments, it's still possible to get a job without enough experience or education if you know the right people.

Cons

Reduction in benefits recently, but they are still pretty good. In some ways it feels like we change direction every few months, and in others, it feels like we hold on way to long to policies that should have been dumped a long time ago.

Worked for University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics? Contribute to the Community!