University of Utah

www.utah.edu

University of Utah Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of Utah President David W. Pershing, Ph.D.

David W. Pershing, Ph.D.

Pros
  • Work life balance is easy to maintain (in 10 reviews)

• Great place for school, lots of work opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, lots of red tape for a raise or promotion since it's government funded (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits not extended to part-time employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Complex communication and interaction with[n large higher education institution.

Director (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent benefit choices, holiday breaks, due to size opportunity for advancement.

ConsParking, lack of diversity in leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow who you will be reporting to.

Computer Technician (Student Position)

Computer Technician (Student) (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe work schedule is very flexible and accommodating to class schedules. Pay is decent, and you will make some good connections. The workload isn't to bad and you will have spare time to do homework if you need it. Its a relatively laid back environment.

ConsThere have been some organizational changes making the job less clear. You probably won't learn as much as you would hope for in a student/intern role. Sometimes due to lack of organization there are no tasks or projects for you to work on and you just lay idle. Its only part-time, 19 hours a week...

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more organized set of goals and projects for student employees.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really liked it a lot

ConsSometimes I didn't like it that much

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Student

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood work culture, excellent training

ConsNone that I know of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Don't start working for them, the pay is terrible and NOT worth the perks

Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe other people working for the University.

ConsHorrible pay, atmosphere that encourages backstabbing, demoralizing treatement, asked to work for free or "donate" my time, exploitation of student workers, violation of labor laws.

Decent opportunity for students

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsResearch projects were available for students.

ConsNot an ideal place to look for job opportunities after graduation.

The University of Utah can be a great place to work.

Course Instructor (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsProvides good online access to paycheck, benefits, career development and advancement. There are often free courses that can help with your knowledge of software and other career skills. Great benefit packages for salaried employees.

ConsLike most Universities there is always some political or bureaucratic hoops to jump through and that also varies depending on the department that you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways helps when employees can see a clear roadmap to how to improve and advance in career.

Research statistical documents for graduate and undergraduate students linking student’s particular methodology with n

Statistician (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsAbility to work one-on-one with students from various department assisting them with effectively analyzing and interpreting their statistical findings.

ConsNot a full time, salary position.

Great on campus job for getting into student culture; but it's run of the mill retail.

Customer Service Associate, Bookstore Specialist (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsManagement has changed since I left, but last I was there they were implementing a deeper leadership and development program for frontline supervisors (something to combat high turnover in their most seasoned employees).

Compensation is what you'd expect for retail (minimum wage), with cents on the dollar pay raises for each semester you stay on after your temporary status.

Benefits are a plus: Textbook rental is a big draw for student employees (expect some paperwork and a textbook rental night; if there are used copies, you only get used copies.

Great student run culture; "gnarly" was used in our mission statement. As a student employer the store is pretty good about being flexible with your class schedule.

ConsA general malaise and apathy towards employee development (again high turnover with students is a contributing factor). As I mentioned, I believe that has improved since I left.

The organization was fairly vertically hierarchical last I was there. I had a great relationship with my supervisors, but upper management is pretty inaccessible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with employee development, it was nice to finally feel recognized as having some potential. Adding something to the experience that will help students in their future careers to say that it wasn't just a job they did to get through college.

Great place for research

Research Associate (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe U is a great environment for research. Everyone in the group was motivated and super smart. It was easy to catch colleagues to bounce ideas too.

ConsAlthough long hours are not expected, one tends to be dragged into the working habit of the entire group. As a researcher this is probably the norm.

Worked for University of Utah? Contribute to the Community!