University of Vermont

Tom Sullivan

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsAs an intern, I was given sufficient work to keep my occupied and not loitering, but never overloaded. Personal life and schoolwork were well tolerated and respected.

ConsOccasionally difficult to get work done without interruption
    Poorly organized

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter filing systems

Great For Students

Research Project Assistant (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsBy far the greatest benefit of working at UVM is the tuition remission. I've taken several courses during my time here and even received some graduate credit. This is an incredible benefit. If you are looking to go back to school or advance your education this is a great place to work.

ConsThe pay is very low considering the workload and the cost of living (especially housing) in this area. There is very little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the amount of compensation. Burlington is an expensive place to live and salaries do not keep up with the cost of living.

High quality education and research experience

Research Associate (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsBeautiful campus, close to downtown and waterfront.
    Lot of potential for collaboration and growth.

ConsFeels kind of isolated, no career progress incentives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely positive practical experience, limited by my need for full-time employment

Conference Assistant (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsI had really fantastic supervisors and I was able to gain more responsibility and skills throughout my four years working part-time during my undergrad

ConsThe office I worked for tends to keep employees unsalaried and just below full-time, making me feel pressured to move somewhere with more security. They can also be a VERY high-stress environment, but they work to create some work-life balance.

Eclectic

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsGreat location for after-research activities and amazing scenery. Great Graduate Student Senate that provides for an array of social and professional development workshops.

ConsDepending on funding sources & adviser , you're pretty much working around the clock to push results and keep money coming in. In addition, there are very few scholarships so your stipend gets bled dry very fast if you're not too careful with Burlington's expenses.

awesome learning experience

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsI had a good time at UVM as a teaching assistant. As a graduate student myself, I learned a lot during the course of teaching.

ConsThe incentives is not that good despite being in an expensive city.

It was some of the best training in my field I have ever had.

Postdoctoral Research (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsGood training in research, especially in how to run a lab from the ground up. After training here you can start a lab anywhere, knowing the basics of what you need.

ConsFaculty not as friendly as they could be and this caused some issues with publications and work load. Other universities place an emphasis on publishing while this one places an emphasis on you working and publishing after you are done here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support should be given to postdocs and graduate students

Undergraduate Research Fellow

Research Fellow (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsEverything! The faculty is incredible helpful and try very hard to give undergraduates an incredible experience. I always felt that I was valued and my ideas were listened to. Professors are very receptive to undergraduates interested in research.

ConsHR took a while to set up direct deposit, I had to track down where they mailed my first paycheck

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

A great place to live and work

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsBurlington, Vermont is a great little city.

ConsThe engineering program is a little small and occasionally underfunded.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive students more lab time and encourage and SUPPORT co-ops/internships. Make a better alumni career network.

UVM values diversity and an inclusive culture.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsA great place to work. They have a great benefits package with great health insurance, tuition remission, and a commitment to a healthy work-life balance. The people at the university and greater community are caring and supportive. Burlington, Vermont is one of the best small cities in the US offering clean air, great schools, a diverse community and has a good venue supporting the arts.

ConsThere are no cons as far as I am concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in keeping employees happy.

Worked for University of Vermont? Contribute to the Community!