University of Virginia Health System

New Grad RN Friendly

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very supportive of new graduate nurses, gives plenty of support through the transition from student to nurse
    - Pay was comparable to other hospitals in the region
    - Nurses had a strong leadership / voice on my unit
    - Very visible management (including the executive officers)
    - Felt appreciated for the work I did, by both unit management and executive management

Cons

- Staffing; it's an issue at most hospitals without ratios but we were frequently understaffed
    - Difficult to take breaks (goes back to staffing)
    - HIGH turn over rate for newer nurses

- Increase staffing and nursing satisfaction/ retention will go up.

Its a job

Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tickets to college sporting events like football, baseball and basketball are great. Reduced co-pay if you use UVa Health. Great on campus gyms to use and childcare available if you sign up early. Good health plan.

Cons

As others have stated the organization is more interested in tracking time and micromanaging than in a final outcome. Working for the state can be a fulfilling job but you may want to check out other hospitals like VCU or Martha Jefferson.

Consider removing the annual engagement survey and focus on culture. What's bad about the survey is that it's the only time of the year managers are remotely caring to employees in order for them to fill out a survey. And encourage employees to move around the organization, even if temporary. Finally, enable a culture of respectful behavior at all levels, you'll get more mileage from a helpful atmosphere than time tracking.

Large organization with great benefits but slow innovation

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, upward mobility, job security

Cons

horrible parking situation, out of date software, challenges to innovation due to large burrocracy

Flatten the orgainzation and empower on the floor managers

Nurse Manager

Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Salary, Charlottesville is a beautiful place to live and raise a family.

Cons

Very Political and slow to change. No accountability throughout organization.

Know what you're getting yourself into.

Pros

They celebrate your major events (births, weddings, etc.)

Benefits are good.

Get along great as a team. Lots of smiles here.

Able to read magazines on the weekends and holidays.

Nice people.

Lots of feedback.

Little raises here and there.

Cons

Micromanagement. We get our calls monitored like crazy.

Gossip spreads like wildfire. Trust no one.

Management is on a power trip. They need more to do. I know how to do my job so leave me alone.

No room for improvement. You're stuck in this role.

If someone makes a mistake they get a screenshot of their mistake in the work mailbox, however they won't let you screenshot management if they made a mistake. Hypocrites.

They treat you like children. Assigned seating, rotating seats, want you to tattle on your coworkers.

Thirty minute lunch and two fifteen minute breaks. That's assigned too.

If a department doesn't want to do something they dump it on my department.

No internet and computers use windows xp software from ten years ago.

You question management and they don't like it. They may use it against you somehow.

Not honest with job description.

Stop being micromanagers. That's the main reason why I'm leaving.

If people just up and quit on you with no notice, then something is wrong with you because they were that desperate to leave.

Some people like to work weekends so they don't have deal with management. I was one of them.

Great place to work if you have a good attitude and don't mind being a force for good!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn! There are places for everyone to contribute if they are willing and currently they are open to improving from the status quo.

Cons

Thought of as more of a number than a person. The pay is low if you are loyal to the hospital, but if you don't mind leaving for a couple years, then you can come back and get quite the significant raise. Very strange mentality rewarding disloyalty.

Show more concern for the lower totem pole workers.

ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

good benefits
    good people to with with
    flexible working environment

Cons

a lot of work to go around with no incentive to do better than your coworkers because they don't give individual raises in my department

get it together. You lose good employees because there is no incentive to stay

You either love it or hate it. Going through changes there now.

Current Employee - BSN in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - BSN in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay compared to cities south of Charlottesville.

Cons

This hospital lacks skilled management. Management is Underpaid however, and are only puppets to those above them.

You will save a lot of money keeping the talent you have, rather than having to keep hiring new people

Pretty Decent

Pros

I've gotten three raises in one year.

Shift differential if you work evenings and nights.

Friendly staff (for the most part)

Cons

If you don't agree with management on something, you're considered to be a negative person. It's like a dictatorship.

I don't work with the direct public (I work in a call center) and you're not allowed to show tattoos and we used to be able to wear jeans on Fridays, holidays, and weekends.

No time and a half for holidays such as MLK day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. You only get literally time and a half for Thanksgiving, CHRISTmas, and New Year's. (your hourly rate times 1.5) for a maximum of four hours.

Summer Administrative Intern

I worked at University of Virginia Health System as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My experience was absolutely wonderful. I was a Master's student at the time of my internship, and the projects I worked on reflected that. I had internships in Undergrad where I would file documents, answer phones, data entry spreadsheets, etc... This internship offered my the opportunity to manage my own projects and do actual work with real deliverables. The company overall was a great place to work, with a great culture and completely devoted to patient care, quality and safety.

Cons

The medical center is so physically large, that it took me a good few weeks to really understand how to get around.