University of Virginia Health System

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

3.2

Ed Howell

Great place to work if you have a good attitude and don't mind being a force for good!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities to learn! There are places for everyone to contribute if they are willing and currently they are open to improving from the status quo.

Cons

Thought of as more of a number than a person. The pay is low if you are loyal to the hospital, but if you don't mind leaving for a couple years, then you can come back and get quite the significant raise. Very strange mentality rewarding disloyalty.

Show more concern for the lower totem pole workers.

Know what you're getting yourself into.

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

They celebrate your major events (births, weddings, etc.)

Benefits are good.

Get along great as a team. Lots of smiles here.

Able to read magazines on the weekends and holidays.

Nice people.

Lots of feedback.

Little raises here and there.

Cons

Micromanagement. We get our calls monitored like crazy.

Gossip spreads like wildfire. Trust no one.

Management is on a power trip. They need more to do. I know how to do my job so leave me alone.

No room for improvement. You're stuck in this role.

If someone makes a mistake they get a screenshot of their mistake in the work mailbox, however they won't let you screenshot management if they made a mistake. Hypocrites.

They treat you like children. Assigned seating, rotating seats, want you to tattle on your coworkers.

Thirty minute lunch and two fifteen minute breaks. That's assigned too.

If a department doesn't want to do something they dump it on my department.

No internet and computers use windows xp software from ten years ago.

You question management and they don't like it. They may use it against you somehow.

Not honest with job description.

Stop being micromanagers. That's the main reason why I'm leaving.

If people just up and quit on you with no notice, then something is wrong with you because they were that desperate to leave.

Some people like to work weekends so they don't have deal with management. I was one of them.

ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

good benefits
    good people to with with
    flexible working environment

Cons

a lot of work to go around with no incentive to do better than your coworkers because they don't give individual raises in my department

get it together. You lose good employees because there is no incentive to stay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You either love it or hate it. Going through changes there now.

Current Employee - BSN  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - BSN in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

competitive pay compared to cities south of Charlottesville.

Cons

This hospital lacks skilled management. Management is Underpaid however, and are only puppets to those above them.

You will save a lot of money keeping the talent you have, rather than having to keep hiring new people

Pretty Decent

Pros

I've gotten three raises in one year.

Shift differential if you work evenings and nights.

Friendly staff (for the most part)

Cons

If you don't agree with management on something, you're considered to be a negative person. It's like a dictatorship.

I don't work with the direct public (I work in a call center) and you're not allowed to show tattoos and we used to be able to wear jeans on Fridays, holidays, and weekends.

No time and a half for holidays such as MLK day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. You only get literally time and a half for Thanksgiving, CHRISTmas, and New Year's. (your hourly rate times 1.5) for a maximum of four hours.

Summer Administrative Intern

I worked at University of Virginia Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My experience was absolutely wonderful. I was a Master's student at the time of my internship, and the projects I worked on reflected that. I had internships in Undergrad where I would file documents, answer phones, data entry spreadsheets, etc... This internship offered my the opportunity to manage my own projects and do actual work with real deliverables. The company overall was a great place to work, with a great culture and completely devoted to patient care, quality and safety.

Cons

The medical center is so physically large, that it took me a good few weeks to really understand how to get around.

Job Applicant

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

The Human Resource person was very pleasant.

Cons

I applied for a job at the Medical Center. I received a interview & shadowed a employee. I've made numerous calls about the job. I never got a call back or a email. This is poor business practices!

This is very poor business practices.

Good people, Bad Management

Former Employee - CNA  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - CNA in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It’s a job. Good benefits, OK pay .

Cons

I guess it depends on the unit you working at. The hospital, in general is not friendly. All the nurses talking smack about each other and have the fake smile on. Nurses think of themselves as intelligent, smart, thin, and thin that Patient tech are stupid and fat. Doctors are another story. They think everybody is stupid and they know everything.
    This miscommunication and misunderstanding of staff to each other makes the job way harder than what it seems. Management sits in their office and write positive reviews for nurses that been in private dinner with, bad reviews for nurses who are not invited to that dinner party. (It’s a good ole girls club) and Patient Techs not invited. In addition to that, there is a competition between old nurses who are not willing to retire, or go to nursing home “since they are over 70 years old each” and the new nurses who they want to prove to their supervisors that they actually working.
    The nurse supervisors surround themselves with “Trusted” nurses who are “Spying” on other nurses, Techs and make a good tea party conversation about it.
    No parking at all

do not surround with a handful of nurses. get off you fat chair and meet with other staff.

good environment

Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

good opportunities and coworkers to work with

Cons

no competitive paid provided, and hard for parking

A lot of ups and downs. They want you to do so much for so little pay here.

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

The benefits. Shift differential if you work nights and weekends.

Cons

The pay sucks. Employees are tattle tellers and "management" picks on people. Schedule constantly changing. Too cheap to buy supplies for the department so you have to bring your own. Haven't replaced chairs and software since the 90s. High turnover.

Be honest about the job description. Had I known what I was really getting into I wouldn't have applied here. It's not fair to me that you bait and switch applicants to fill up the department. Also keep your word. I want to leave because I've dealt with many broken promises since I've been here.

Worked for University of Virginia Health System? Contribute to the Community!