University of Virginia Health System

1. New Grad RN Friendly

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very supportive of new graduate nurses, gives plenty of support through the transition from student to nurse
    - Pay was comparable to other hospitals in the region
    - Nurses had a strong leadership / voice on my unit
    - Very visible management (including the executive officers)
    - Felt appreciated for the work I did, by both unit management and executive management

Cons

- Staffing; it's an issue at most hospitals without ratios but we were frequently understaffed
    - Difficult to take breaks (goes back to staffing)
    - HIGH turn over rate for newer nurses

Advice to Management

- Increase staffing and nursing satisfaction/ retention will go up.

2. This job is a 3-for-1 Special

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice supervisor, educational courses related to your career, no weekend work, whoo's well program, a paycheck.

Cons

People talking behind your back, the administration doesn't believe in snow days, parking, burnout

Advice to Management

People aren't going to bust their tail to go to a clinic/work on a snowy/icy day. News flash: everything outside of Cville is rural so you're endangering the lives of people expected to go to work.

It's okay to close for a full day, instead of having people come in for 5 hours. A day off never hurt no body.

Residents and Attendings: Say hi to the staff and don't contact us when you only want something. Also, please and thank you go a long way. This irks me to no end. Get to know us. We're the glue that holds this clinic together. You'd be clueless if all of the support staff up and walked out of here one day. Heck, you probably don't even know our names.

Managers: Stop being cheap by making people do three jobs in one. It frustrates us to no end when we have to fill in and pick others slack when they're not here. Nurses shouldn't be a floor nurse/cover phones/scripts/deal with insurance company calls and support staff shouldn't do front desk/phones/insurance calls. It burns people out and will have resentment towards their job. I know of at least three people that want to quit b/c of this.

Its a job

Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tickets to college sporting events like football, baseball and basketball are great. Reduced co-pay if you use UVa Health. Great on campus gyms to use and childcare available if you sign up early. Good health plan.

Cons

As others have stated the organization is more interested in tracking time and micromanaging than in a final outcome. Working for the state can be a fulfilling job but you may want to check out other hospitals like VCU or Martha Jefferson.

Advice to Management

Consider removing the annual engagement survey and focus on culture. What's bad about the survey is that it's the only time of the year managers are remotely caring to employees in order for them to fill out a survey. And encourage employees to move around the organization, even if temporary. Finally, enable a culture of respectful behavior at all levels, you'll get more mileage from a helpful atmosphere than time tracking.

5. Large organization with great benefits but slow innovation

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Great benefits, upward mobility, job security

Cons

horrible parking situation, out of date software, challenges to innovation due to large burrocracy

Advice to Management

Flatten the orgainzation and empower on the floor managers

6. Nurse Manager

Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Salary, Charlottesville is a beautiful place to live and raise a family.

Cons

Very Political and slow to change. No accountability throughout organization.

Know what you're getting yourself into.

Pros

They celebrate your major events (births, weddings, etc.)

Benefits are good.

Get along great as a team. Lots of smiles here.

Able to read magazines on the weekends and holidays.

Nice people.

Lots of feedback.

Little raises here and there.

Cons

Micromanagement. We get our calls monitored like crazy.

Gossip spreads like wildfire. Trust no one.

Management is on a power trip. They need more to do. I know how to do my job so leave me alone.

No room for improvement. You're stuck in this role.

If someone makes a mistake they get a screenshot of their mistake in the work mailbox, however they won't let you screenshot management if they made a mistake. Hypocrites.

They treat you like children. Assigned seating, rotating seats, want you to tattle on your coworkers.

Thirty minute lunch and two fifteen minute breaks. That's assigned too.

If a department doesn't want to do something they dump it on my department.

No internet and computers use windows xp software from ten years ago.

You question management and they don't like it. They may use it against you somehow.

Not honest with job description.

Advice to Management

Stop being micromanagers. That's the main reason why I'm leaving.

If people just up and quit on you with no notice, then something is wrong with you because they were that desperate to leave.

Some people like to work weekends so they don't have deal with management. I was one of them.

8. Great place to work if you have a good attitude and don't mind being a force for good!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn! There are places for everyone to contribute if they are willing and currently they are open to improving from the status quo.

Cons

Thought of as more of a number than a person. The pay is low if you are loyal to the hospital, but if you don't mind leaving for a couple years, then you can come back and get quite the significant raise. Very strange mentality rewarding disloyalty.

Advice to Management

Show more concern for the lower totem pole workers.

ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

good benefits
    good people to with with
    flexible working environment

Cons

a lot of work to go around with no incentive to do better than your coworkers because they don't give individual raises in my department

Advice to Management

get it together. You lose good employees because there is no incentive to stay

You either love it or hate it. Going through changes there now.

Current Employee - BSN in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - BSN in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay compared to cities south of Charlottesville.

Cons

This hospital lacks skilled management. Management is Underpaid however, and are only puppets to those above them.

Advice to Management

You will save a lot of money keeping the talent you have, rather than having to keep hiring new people

11. Good people, Bad Management

Former Employee - CNA in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - CNA in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s a job. Good benefits, OK pay .

Cons

I guess it depends on the unit you working at. The hospital, in general is not friendly. All the nurses talking smack about each other and have the fake smile on. Nurses think of themselves as intelligent, smart, thin, and thin that Patient tech are stupid and fat. Doctors are another story. They think everybody is stupid and they know everything.
    This miscommunication and misunderstanding of staff to each other makes the job way harder than what it seems. Management sits in their office and write positive reviews for nurses that been in private dinner with, bad reviews for nurses who are not invited to that dinner party. (It’s a good ole girls club) and Patient Techs not invited. In addition to that, there is a competition between old nurses who are not willing to retire, or go to nursing home “since they are over 70 years old each” and the new nurses who they want to prove to their supervisors that they actually working.
    The nurse supervisors surround themselves with “Trusted” nurses who are “Spying” on other nurses, Techs and make a good tea party conversation about it.
    No parking at all

Advice to Management

do not surround with a handful of nurses. get off you fat chair and meet with other staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed