University of Virginia Health System

Updated August 12, 2014

3.2

Ed Howell

Summer Administrative Intern

I worked at University of Virginia Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My experience was absolutely wonderful. I was a Master's student at the time of my internship, and the projects I worked on reflected that. I had internships in Undergrad where I would file documents, answer phones, data entry spreadsheets, etc... This internship offered my the opportunity to manage my own projects and do actual work with real deliverables. The company overall was a great place to work, with a great culture and completely devoted to patient care, quality and safety.

Cons

The medical center is so physically large, that it took me a good few weeks to really understand how to get around.

Nice environment and people to work with

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people there is really nice and your work, meaningful

Cons

The salary was too low

An amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

The University of Virginia Health Systems provides a competitive place to work and encourages career growth within the departement. They offer a great benefit package.

Cons

The University of Virginia Health Systems main drawback is parking. Free parking is offered, but is a 15 minute bus ride from the hospital.

Employees are very fairly treated, and all decisions are based on opinions of all staff members, not just upper management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you have a good attitude and don't mind being a force for good!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities to learn! There are places for everyone to contribute if they are willing and currently they are open to improving from the status quo.

Cons

Thought of as more of a number than a person. The pay is low if you are loyal to the hospital, but if you don't mind leaving for a couple years, then you can come back and get quite the significant raise. Very strange mentality rewarding disloyalty.

Show more concern for the lower totem pole workers.

Pretty Decent

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've gotten three raises in one year.

Shift differential if you work evenings and nights.

Friendly staff (for the most part)

Cons

If you don't agree with management on something, you're considered to be a negative person. It's like a dictatorship.

I don't work with the direct public (I work in a call center) and you're not allowed to show tattoos and we used to be able to wear jeans on Fridays, holidays, and weekends.

No time and a half for holidays such as MLK day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. You only get literally time and a half for Thanksgiving, CHRISTmas, and New Year's. (your hourly rate times 1.5) for a maximum of four hours.

good environment

Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

good opportunities and coworkers to work with

Cons

no competitive paid provided, and hard for parking

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System part-time for less than a year

Pros

UVA hospital is a state hospital and if you're interested in pursuing a career in health care, it's a great place to start because here you can see a lot of cases that other private hospitals don't have.

Cons

Because it's a state hospital, compared to other private hospitals such as Martha Jefferson, the facilities is not as competent.

My experience doing cancer research at UVa has been satisfying and fulfilling.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

Performing cancer research is very challenging intellectually and very rewarding because the advances made in my research have the potential to lead to improvements in cancer therapy. In my current lab, my supervisor is extremely helpful to me in my work and cares very much about his workers and this helps me to be productive and to enjoy my work.

Cons

The parking system here is a major hassle. I have to pay over $200 a year to park in a remote lot, and then wait on shuttle buses (which are almost always late) to drive me to my building. It takes too much time and it is frustrating to deal with every day.

good place to work

Current Employee - Research  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Research in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

It is very good place where people are very friendly and help each other even if you don't belong to the same lab. Everybody share their ideas & support people. Working hours are very flexible and also depending on your boss but most of them are really cool. City is definitely is very nice place I dont want to move from this place..it is little expensive

Cons

not much...but hiring HR is big pain....when I was applying I had to go through such a pain process...it took atleast 6 months for me to join the job

it would be nice to improve the hiring process

Know what you're getting yourself into.

Pros

They celebrate your major events (births, weddings, etc.)

Benefits are good.

Get along great as a team. Lots of smiles here.

Able to read magazines on the weekends and holidays.

Nice people.

Lots of feedback.

Little raises here and there.

Cons

Micromanagement. We get our calls monitored like crazy.

Gossip spreads like wildfire. Trust no one.

Management is on a power trip. They need more to do. I know how to do my job so leave me alone.

No room for improvement. You're stuck in this role.

If someone makes a mistake they get a screenshot of their mistake in the work mailbox, however they won't let you screenshot management if they made a mistake. Hypocrites.

They treat you like children. Assigned seating, rotating seats, want you to tattle on your coworkers.

Thirty minute lunch and two fifteen minute breaks. That's assigned too.

If a department doesn't want to do something they dump it on my department.

No internet and computers use windows xp software from ten years ago.

You question management and they don't like it. They may use it against you somehow.

Not honest with job description.

Stop being micromanagers. That's the main reason why I'm leaving.

If people just up and quit on you with no notice, then something is wrong with you because they were that desperate to leave.

Some people like to work weekends so they don't have deal with management. I was one of them.

Worked for University of Virginia Health System? Contribute to the Community!