University of Virginia Health System

Ed Howell

New Grad RN Friendly

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Very supportive of new graduate nurses, gives plenty of support through the transition from student to nurse
    - Pay was comparable to other hospitals in the region
    - Nurses had a strong leadership / voice on my unit
    - Very visible management (including the executive officers)
    - Felt appreciated for the work I did, by both unit management and executive management

Cons

- Staffing; it's an issue at most hospitals without ratios but we were frequently understaffed
    - Difficult to take breaks (goes back to staffing)
    - HIGH turn over rate for newer nurses

- Increase staffing and nursing satisfaction/ retention will go up.

Summer Administrative Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at University of Virginia Health System as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My experience was absolutely wonderful. I was a Master's student at the time of my internship, and the projects I worked on reflected that. I had internships in Undergrad where I would file documents, answer phones, data entry spreadsheets, etc... This internship offered my the opportunity to manage my own projects and do actual work with real deliverables. The company overall was a great place to work, with a great culture and completely devoted to patient care, quality and safety.

Cons

The medical center is so physically large, that it took me a good few weeks to really understand how to get around.

Nice environment and people to work with

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people there is really nice and your work, meaningful

Cons

The salary was too low

An amazing place to work!

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

The University of Virginia Health Systems provides a competitive place to work and encourages career growth within the departement. They offer a great benefit package.

Cons

The University of Virginia Health Systems main drawback is parking. Free parking is offered, but is a 15 minute bus ride from the hospital.

Employees are very fairly treated, and all decisions are based on opinions of all staff members, not just upper management.

Large organization with great benefits but slow innovation

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, upward mobility, job security

Cons

horrible parking situation, out of date software, challenges to innovation due to large burrocracy

Flatten the orgainzation and empower on the floor managers

Great place to work if you have a good attitude and don't mind being a force for good!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn! There are places for everyone to contribute if they are willing and currently they are open to improving from the status quo.

Cons

Thought of as more of a number than a person. The pay is low if you are loyal to the hospital, but if you don't mind leaving for a couple years, then you can come back and get quite the significant raise. Very strange mentality rewarding disloyalty.

Show more concern for the lower totem pole workers.

Pretty Decent

Pros

I've gotten three raises in one year.

Shift differential if you work evenings and nights.

Friendly staff (for the most part)

Cons

If you don't agree with management on something, you're considered to be a negative person. It's like a dictatorship.

I don't work with the direct public (I work in a call center) and you're not allowed to show tattoos and we used to be able to wear jeans on Fridays, holidays, and weekends.

No time and a half for holidays such as MLK day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. You only get literally time and a half for Thanksgiving, CHRISTmas, and New Year's. (your hourly rate times 1.5) for a maximum of four hours.

good environment

Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good opportunities and coworkers to work with

Cons

no competitive paid provided, and hard for parking

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System part-time (less than a year)

Pros

UVA hospital is a state hospital and if you're interested in pursuing a career in health care, it's a great place to start because here you can see a lot of cases that other private hospitals don't have.

Cons

Because it's a state hospital, compared to other private hospitals such as Martha Jefferson, the facilities is not as competent.

My experience doing cancer research at UVa has been satisfying and fulfilling.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia Health System

Pros

Performing cancer research is very challenging intellectually and very rewarding because the advances made in my research have the potential to lead to improvements in cancer therapy. In my current lab, my supervisor is extremely helpful to me in my work and cares very much about his workers and this helps me to be productive and to enjoy my work.

Cons

The parking system here is a major hassle. I have to pay over $200 a year to park in a remote lot, and then wait on shuttle buses (which are almost always late) to drive me to my building. It takes too much time and it is frustrating to deal with every day.