University of Virginia

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan

Teresa Sullivan

Pros
  • Great place to live- not too small, not too big(in 11 reviews)

• The majority of them are very competent scientists who enjoy better work life balance than you would expect at a top 10 school(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Most faculty, particularly the ones in charge, treat graduate students like children(in 12 reviews)

• Living in Charlottesville is VERY expensive, but this can be relieved by subletting into apartments or houses(in 4 reviews)

The good, The bad, and The ugly

Office Manager (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsThe benefits here with the university are outstanding. The vacation time is advanced to you at the beginning of the year and overall they at least present a caring appearance for the employees.

ConsThe parking here is pathetic, there is an us vs them concept at times between the academic and health sides as well as within three primary employers on the health side. It can be confusing and confrontational at times. Advancement is not popular.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more advancement encouragement and true growth opportunities.

Interesting Work, but lacking hours

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsThe work is interesting
    The people are very nice, helpful, and personable
    The hourly pay is good

ConsLack of clear instruction on what needs to be done
    Scope of project may not be as large as expected

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to have regular meetings to discuss your vision for the tasks requested of employees

Driver

Driver (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

Pros*flexiblity
    *good job for students to undertake in their free time
    *good training opportunities
    *work as much as you want

Cons*Low pay
    *Have to deal with unruly passengers more frequently than not
    *Driving can be a little boring

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to pay a little bit more. This would help attract students to the job. I liked the work life balance opportunities. Full-time positions are not very desirable with this employer as the city tends to pay a significant amount more. Perhaps you could train new drivers a little bit more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great work environment, and a great town to live in.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsYou'll never run out of opportunities at UVA. Being surrounded by some of the smartest students and most accomplished professors in the country doesn't hurt either. Charlottesville is a great place to live, and it offers a respectable cultural and historical scene as well as a night life above what you'd expect from a town its size.

ConsThe combination of effects from internal and state government politics can get very close to home. While some departments are outstanding, many others don't live up to the reputation of the university.

Working at UVa

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsGood stable work environment, Charlottesville is a fantastic city with little traffic and epicureans dilemma with all the great restaurants in town. Great active town.

ConsOnce you get a position here it is hard to move up and promotions are rarely heard of. Learn how to negotiate before coming here and get the highest salary you can start with, it won't change for years......

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your heads out of your silos and look around. There is so much duplication of equipment and effort here. Leave your egos at home and truly collaborate.

A great place to enjoy the dynamic nature of the opportunities offered at UVA and the City of Charlottesville.

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsI enjoy working with the community of professionals surrounding the University. I also enjoy the cultures and natures around the city.

ConsThis place is somewhat isolated from the rest of research community which limits in establishing collaboration and obtaining information.

Good place to be a graduate student

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsI like having all the resources that are available to graduate students at UVa. The research that I conducted is well funded, and we are encouraged to obtain external funding as well.

ConsSometimes the facilities that really need to be updated (such as research labs) are not. Instead money is dedicated to updating undergraduate student areas, that will make the buildings look great to potential students.

Great Place!

ProsOverall atmosphere of respect and dignity for all. Lots of funding for education and personal/professional development. Just a gorgeous place to be year round.

ConsNot a lot of upward mobility opportunities unless you change jobs frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat environment for doing work in

Consnone that I can really think of

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job

Aquatic and Fitness Center Employee

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

Proslaid back atmosphere, friendly management, flexible hours

Conssnobby customers, lower pay, lack of parking

Advice to Senior ManagementMore perks and recognition for job well done would go a long way. Although universities are facing shrinking budgets a slight raise everyone now and then would also go a long.

Worked for University of Virginia? Contribute to the Community!