University of Virginia

Updated November 7, 2014
4.1

University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan
Teresa Sullivan

Pros
  • The majority of them are very competent scientists who enjoy better work life balance than you would expect at a top 10 school (in 7 reviews)

• The University of Virginia is a great place to work as a s student employee (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate students are often the last to be updated of important changes (in 13 reviews)

• I think living in Charlottesville, as a young adult, can be a bit difficult, given the college-town atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

PhD Student at University of Virginia, a caring environment for driven people!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First, UVA is an excellent school and the program for which I work BIMS (M.I.C.) is offers a competitive environment in which I can openly share ideas and get feedback about my projects. The University as a whole values collaboration and my mentor instills a sense of wonder about the world around me. It's such a great learning environment. The compensation is competitive with other graduate school biomedical science program stipends as well.

Cons

It is almost expected that students continue on the "academia" route for science as opposed to industry, government or other consulting type positions.

The upper management at the hospital really cares about all of the School of Medicine Employees and I think everyone really values that.

Great place to work.

I have been working at University of Virginia

Pros

I love the people that I have met here, the benefits, and the pay. Its great to work with all the students and patrons

Cons

They are slow to give raises in salary. They are also super meticulous and you get critiqued a lot.

Lovely place, ok gig

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Charlottesville is a beautiful town, lots of friendly people. Depending on the department, professors can be very friendly, but most are swamped with their own research.

Cons

Professors vary widely in their ability to interact with human beings. Salaries for graduate students are meager. Not much in the way of mentorship (depends on department).

Administration should do more to encourage department cohesion (depends on the dept). In some departments there is little or no interaction with the faculty and the bare minimum of effort is spent on the graduate student experience.

Honor and trust are not only key foundations for the University's students, but for its employees as well.

I worked at University of Virginia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work-life balance; social and friendly setting; leadership opportunities.

Cons

chaos runs at any university in terms of donations and press.

Good place to research for grad school

I have been working at University of Virginia

Pros

Great environment, good people, love it when the students are not in town

Cons

Can be incredibly hard to commute to
    Sometimes bureaucracy slows things down, but what Job doesn't have this?

Great place to work -- depending on whoever runs it

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyable work environment, quiet. Usually a lot of things to work around like collecting documents and such. Otherwise a very quiet time. Not too bad.

Cons

Maybe too quiet. Depending on the time of year and the number of clients you could just be sitting there listening to music for a couple of hours when you're working in the lab.

None. Management was great.

Intense but funny part-time experience

Former Employee - Digitization Service Assistant in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Digitization Service Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at University of Virginia part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will have the chance to touch tons of rare materials which alway make the tedious scanning process funny. Staffs are very friendly, and the working environment is fairly fantastic.

Cons

You have to work at least 10 hours a week as a student, which is a very large amount of time. Also, you cannot do anything else than working in the office because personal staffs are prohibited. Even though the hour salaries are higher than other on campus jobs, it is a very heavy workload.

stay away from this school

I worked at University of Virginia full-time

Pros

really cannot think of any

Cons

everything is wrong with this place

Grad Student Experience in UVA's Engineering School

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

UVA's engineering graduate school experience is a good one. It is a small community that knows each other fairly well. The small size making getting help and sharing ideas very easy. There is not much hierarchy and the faculty and staff are usually friendly.

Cons

The mentors are professors who can vary tremendously depending on who you work under. Some professors are great bosses and encourage independent thinking. They are more than happy to give credit to their students and it works well for your overall growth. My experience was exactly that. However, some professors are known to be miserly when it comes to spending money. They also like to use their students as just a pair of hands to get more papers out. The other big con of this job would obviously be the salary. However that is true for most grad schools and you just have to suck it up till you graduate.

Donate more money to the departments. Especially Engineering. They could use more money and make everyones' lives easier.

uva review

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at University of Virginia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

this is a pretty great school. laid back environment. great people. not all about work work work all the time... though one can pursue that course if one wants.

Cons

not a lot of money for GAs and TAs. Course work can be too much sometimes even though the profs expect you to spend no time at all on courses.