University of Warwick

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great

ProsGreat University for research and teaching

ConsThe location in Coventry is a negative

An engaging and fulfilling experience

PhD Student (Current Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsThere's so much to do, whether it's a sport activity, a gym workout or just socialising with friends in one of the many student bars, there's always something to do.

ConsSome of the challenges involved in my job was the struggle with getting good results. This is fairly standard in the Chemical industry but challenging nonetheless.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out more what motivates the student/worker, and try and focus on assisting the fulfillment of these values.

Overall very positive experience

IT Tech (Former Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsI enjoyed this job a lot - I was trusted to make decisions and work alone despite being on a relatively low pay grade. Not that the pay was bad, I was just fairly junior. I was treated respectfully by my superiors and the atmosphere was always one of camaraderie. Occasional overtime available which even my manager took in order to meet deadlines: he wasn't above getting his hands dirty. He was fairly young too which you can take as a good indication of possibilities for career advancement.

ConsMinimal 'perks' : you get your salary and that's about it. I didn't find this bothered me to be honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe coffee machine probably saved you more money (in employee time wasted walking to the shop) than it cost you in rent. Consider the consequences of your actions!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

IT Tech (Current Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

Proswork life balance is good; relax work environment, no deadline to meet
    people help each other; The line manager is excellent
    training budget generous

Conslimited promotion, since my department is not a big one. not as stable as before, some restructure and forced redundancy. Not much bonus, no extra insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

I was an Undergraduate Open Day Helper, and working within this capacity was very rewarding!

Undergraduate Open Day Helper (Former Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsThe hourly pay rate is excellent for the type of work involved, and we also got holiday pay, which was an unexpected bonus. Training was available for people carrying out tours, and we were all given guidelines in case we were asked any unexpected or awkward questions!

ConsSometimes it was quite hard to strike up enthusiasm in the prospective students, but eventually they would overcome their shyness.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome weeks the rota for who was working wasn't done properly, so some people got to work a lot of weeks, when other people didn't work many weeks at all. Too many helpers were taken on.

A good modern research university.

PhD Student (Current Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsHigh impact research, Modern facilities, Student life, Reputation.

ConsExpensive, Lack of co-ordination between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of co-ordination between the departments.

Terrible, senior management treat the majority of staff really poorly, they are driven by trying to rise up rankings

Senior Fellow (Current Employee) Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

ProsI enjoy Lecturing and the students, but neither are considered important by the University.

ConsThe salaries are low. If you are a researcher, and research into a 'fashionable' area, and publish.. life is fine. But there is immense pressure to publish. If you Lecture, you are not considered of any value, and the workload can be huge, with now thanks and poor pay, and the students are considered merely as a means of revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your attitude to staff.. stop trying to save every penny, and take some advice on how to manage

Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery interesting works
    Come close to academics and scholars
    understand academic research process

ConsHard to find
    You have to be very proactive and pursue the research director regularly
    Lot of jobs aren't advertised

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more accessible

Research Fellow

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsGood atmosphere, nice staff support. We have flexible working hours. The benefit is OK, pension, child care vouchers.

ConsThe campus is far from the Coventry city center and the rail station, which makes it not easy to commute. The styles of the buildings look cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it takes long time for the reply from HR or research office, which should be improved.

I will NOT advise coming to UoW for postgraduate studies

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

Prosefficient supply, ordering and prep-room facilities
    high exposure to talks covering wide range of topics

Cons- Interdisciplinary or any innovative work requiring access to facilities, new model organisms, or even just a collaborative work is passively but efficiently suppressed by a labyrinth of safety requirements which can not be even evaluated ahead of time co'z nobody can tell you what is the process.

Example: before diving into a new project, you start with some reasonable paperwork and end up hunting for a signature by a designated person who is available once a month. Then you are told the signature is not sufficient and the paperwork is sent for another evaluation which will take take several weeks. The attitude is semi-rude and the comments are bewildering - each side says different things. The whole way of doing this safety evaluation suggests that the idea of doing something new is irrelevant and invasive. After idle attempts for three-four months, you realize the true state of things, give up and try to make up on the wasted time with some in-hand methods. No collaboration. No potentially exciting project.

- IT support is more of an obstacle
    Examples:
      you arrive to a workshop and discover that, despite a proper early notice, IT did not manage to install the required software. You can not install it yourself as the computers are locked for new installations.

IT will not help you with any problem related to your privet computer even if the software required for your research runs on PC only and you use your own computer to run this software. They do not support PCs in general. No discrimination here, just a rule.

In general, what matters here is your personal relationship with the IT guys. If you are lucky to be pretty young female - you may get the password required to install any software of your machine. If you are just another research stuff, male, no blond - you may wait for a month (no exaggeration here!) for your software to be installed.
    Besides this, UoW is short on the number of I-net plugs. So you get a table and then are told that there is no I-net port available and you have to wait until somebody will leave and inherit you his/her port.

- Working place: There is NO respect for the "thinking" part of research - you are placed in a walk-through room with 20 other people, with no privacy whatsoever, no proper ventilation, slamming doors and poor lightening and are expected to find it a productive environment.
    The office furniture is from 80s - 3 chairs I have tried were all broken. Not enough power points = we have chains of extensions running under our tables.

On the other hand, money is invested in all the open spaces e.g. cafeteria, halls etc. People are of a less value that the look of this place.

Recently they removed kitchenettes and installed water coolers. But nor kettles, no hot water. A glass of hot water in cafeteria is 50p.

WCs... you must manage flushing only once! co'z after you flush - it takes 6-7 mins to get the water tank refilled. The results = restrooms are rarely clean in afternoons.

Recycling bins have recently been installed and you get an email that trash bins in offices will be emptied once a week to "encourage" you to recycle. By the end of week, all the organics that can not be recycled and are dumped in the office bins stink. I am afraid to this what will happen in summer.

Bottom line - very much in UoW is invested to make up the place as cool and nice and great. Unfortunately, after some time you discover that it's a very provincial University that tries to grab as many students as possible without investing neither in its people nor in its research facilities.

If you are looking for a PhD or a post training - I would suggest skipping this Uni, unless there is no better place to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of organizing too many empty happening events and all-the-same workshops, run surveys on the performance of support facilities and respond to flaws. Ask people for their opinion and suggestions, cooperate instead of dumping on us your "innovative" initiatives.
    If you are really interested in good-quality teaching and research to happen in your University - make sure your support facilities are functional and your safety/ergonomics/other regulations are clear and doable withing reasonable period of time. Don't let regulation ppl rule scientist - scientists will either find their way around, stop reporting, or simply leave.

Worked for University of Warwick? Contribute to the Community!