University of Washington

University of Washington Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Washington President Michael K. Young

Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good(in 38 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe(in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected)(in 13 reviews)

Great place unless you aren't an academic

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsU Pass, access to campus facilities, benefits are good

ConsIf you don't have a PhD, you will find yourself regularly treated like a second class citizen. The corporate culture is deplorable. If you think UW isn't a business, you would be wrong. If you are considering applying as an administrator, know that you will never get a day off and everyone's problems will be your job. Faculty and graduate students expect you to be their slave, and this is born out by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate high turnover in administrative positions and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

"Lifer" so far

ProsThe benefits are great, the Seattle campus is easy to get to from surrounding neighborhoods North + West of campus and downtown (cannot speak to other areas); some good people to interact with.

ConsPoor future career prospects; office politics will make-or-break your experience; may run into unmotivated/worn down colleagues, or those who should have been let go a long time ago. (It is difficult to fire within the UW.)

Great work for a grad student

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood benefits, flexible hours for students and wide variety of co-workers

ConsTypical bureaucracy issues and limited resources

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You'll be told your place

ProsA diverse population and great research.

ConsManagement is increasing selected by relations and degrees from outside universities, few with management experience or training. If you come with work experience and intelligence only you will be told your place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart training staff and promoting from within the people that care about the campus and students.

it has great benefits but it is not helpful to facilitate employee promotions, salary raises, visas

Research Scientist IV (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosyou can have access to state-of-the-art classes and libraries and seminars and courses
    the health and dental benefits are great
    the vacation leave and sick leave are reasonable

Consit is very hard to obtain promotions
    it is impossible to obtain salary raises
    it is hard to access knowlegeable HR people

Advice to Senior Managementemployee should be able to meet with HR without supervisor or department approval and salary and promotion should be discussed with empoyee and commuittee external to department

Lucky to work for a good director.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosamazing work life balance
    super supportive director
    casual dress
    fantastic benefits
    work for a good cause

Consreally difficult for salary to keep up when moving to a new role. i started out with an amazing salary for the role but got promoted several times and the salary just couldn't keep up with the increase in responsibility. also, there are a lot of "career" employees who are super set in their ways and hinder progress.

Advice to Senior Managementless "town hall" style meetings. so dull!

Great place for the right person

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsInteresting people, great students, good benefits. Can provide a great springboard into management if you are in the right office. Opportunity to study with the tuition benefit is great.

ConsGrowth is non-existent, people stay too long in their jobs, highly political and bureaucratic, slow moving to make decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for managers is needed, a better review cycle is needed, authentic leadership would be helpful, succession planning would also be nice

rewarding

Graduate Instructor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLove connecting with my students

ConsLarge class size in my english workshop

Very reasonable

Senior Operator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery flexible schedule, and good work life balance

ConsClient difficulties, lack of co-worker relationships. Little activities for employees to bond

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain operators more

Great place to work

Research Assistant II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTop notch facilities; knowledgeable and talented PI's; flexible work schedule; discounted Orca Pass; supportive faculty, staff, and PI's.

ConsNone. I love working here.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!