University of Washington

Updated October 24, 2014
3.8

University of Washington President Michael K. Young
Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good (in 43 reviews)

• Best reason to work at UW is for job security and great benefits (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe (in 18 reviews)

• Do not expect the sort of salary increases that the private sector offers (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Current Employee - Product Management Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Management Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, Great perks and overall nice atmosphere

Cons

None, long work hours and great mismanagemnt

None

Uw is an awesome school. Especially the Computer science department.

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

It has great career fairs.

Cons

Class sizes can be a little too big and overwhelming.

nice place to work

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

Nice faculty and staff on campus

Cons

Mechanical Engineering Building is not nice

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Research Coordinator II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stability, benefits, work-life balance, people, similar interests

Cons

You'll never get rich here! A lot of bureaucracy, which can be expected at such a large institution.

It all depends on your goals

Current Employee - Research Scientist III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of freedom on time management and really good medical and retirement benefits

Cons

Chances are that you can have a jerk of a boss, or you can have a boring project that doesn't let you grow. You always depend on grants and money for science is getting shorter and shorter each year.

Editor

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues and supportive work environment.

Cons

Low salaries. Long work hours.

Good place

Former Employee - Host in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Host in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good entry level jobs and fun people

Cons

Low pay, hard during studying

Keep the workers who are detailed

Okay

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is good facilities and people are very motivated and take their work serious, although potentially a little too serious. The location is incredible and very beautiful.

Cons

There is too much focus on the publishing papers versus teaching and actual learning, its just another major research university that is focussed on prestige and not learning.

Professors have no accountability for how they treat their grad students

Current Employee - Graduate Student, Post Doctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student, Post Doctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits
    good co workers
    Seattle is a beautiful city

Cons

Professors have no accountability for how they treat their grad students
    There is no respect for work/life balance
    I have worked in several departments and have encountered both verbally abusive situations and blatant disregard for my privacy. When speaking with HR/ higher ups I was assured of confidentiality, but had my confidence broken within 15 minutes of leaving the office.
    Coming from industry it blew my mind that workers and students were treated so poorly and their wasn't any recourse. I spoke with my co workers, my advisers, HR, and finally, with the ombudsman. The ombudsman was very helpful, but he was the only one.

Require reviews of advisers from students
    Don't dismiss any complaints

Proceed with caution at UW Bothell

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

The Bothell campus is close to the Burke Gilman and Sammamish bike and walking trails. The grounds crew does an excellent job of maintaining the planters and garden beds. They even have cutting gardens at the Chase House and Truly House.
    The campus is not close to any restaurants. They do have food trucks come in several days each week with really good food. The buildings are newer and well maintained.

Cons

Unless you live within walking distance of campus, you will need to drive to campus and pay for parking. There is bus access but your commute could take twice as much time to get to campus. Parking is in short supply. You may have to spend a lot of time to find a new parking place if you dare leave on your lunch hour.
    As on main campus, budgets are tight for hiring new support staff. Expect a noisy work environment and cramped work spaces. I had worked at UW Bothell previously and only returned as a short-term temporary. I left after a couple of weeks. The job was a program coordinator with reception duties. For me, it was difficult, if not impossible, to do both simultaneously. One required paying attention to frequent visitors and the other required concentrating on work on the computer. It is indicative that support staff were expected to do the job of more than one person. I was dismayed to see that two new employees were hired to take over travel, purchasing and reimbursement duties from existing staff for all the schools. This might seem ok if they had hired from within. The two people hired were new to the UW and UW systems. They were expected to learn everything and take over after only a month on the job. Since they were sitting right behind me, their stress at this challenge was evident and palpable.

Listen to your support staff. Provide them the tools and time to do their job. Don't try to stuff two jobs into one to save money. Provide adequate work space for employees who spend all day at the computer. At minimum, a cubicle with insulation from outside noise, interruptions and conversations. Provide adequate ventilation, lighting and storage drawers for purses, etc.
    Slow down on hiring new support staff until you have the space and resources for them. Hire managers with UW experience who know the systems.

University of Washington Photos