University of Washington Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
725 reviews filtered by

1. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Operations Manager, Center for Commercialization in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for UW was my first job out of college. I worked there for 4 years, with the same department, and truly loved the experience. UW is a very large institution, and while they can't pay as competitively as the private sector, they make sure to take great care of their employees through benefit offerings and associated job perks.

In addition, I was the youngest person by far to be working in my department. I felt that all of my peers had my best interests in mind and genuinely wanted to support my personal development and opportunities to further my career.

Cons

Well, UW is an academic institution and as such they put a heavy emphasis on research (as they should). They are also the #1 federally funded institution in the country, with $1.5B dollars in federal money per year. With that in mind, if you are a not a PhD, JD, or have plans to pursue a higher level degree beyond a bachelors, it becomes very difficult to move up in the ranks. I found myself hitting a significant plateau after about 2 years.

The only advice I would have would be to keep doing what you're doing. Like I said above, UW is a major academic institution and the administration has it running on all cylinders. Some unique challenges that I think UW faces as a major academic player are getting bogged down in bureaucracy, and politics. I know this comes with the territory, so I don't have any suggestions at this time on how to mitigate it.

2. Good place to work if you are in the right department.

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good location, lots of events on campus, access to some classes.

Cons

can be a lot of bureaucracy.

3. Graduate Teaching Assistant (Mathematics)

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a wide variety of classes to teach; you'll never be bored if you don't want to be! There is a fair amount of support for learning to teach from the department and school. In the mathematics department, graduate students are given a large amount of responsibility and it is very good experience.

Cons

Not any particular cons, really. Regular reviews by teaching supervisors are really helpful, but do take time so I understand why more aren't done.

The program works pretty well, I have nothing to complain about! More encouragement to graduate students to do well in their teaching (and not just research) would not be out of place.

5. One of the best public universities in the world

Current Employee - Senior Research Fellow in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First-tier status as research institution

Cons

State-owned oftentimes means slower, less dynamic

Great place to work. Crappy upper management in UW Medicine.

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, great benefits, good colleagues,

Cons

people at the top have no clue esp in UW Medicine. The dean is cocooned by his inner circle and remains out of touch with the excellent work force.

get input from staff and ACT ON IT.

UW ia great for science and personal life

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

financial, structural and scientific support
    collaborative environment

Cons

This is not a critique to the UW, but to the current academic situation: grants are hard to come by.
    I have no specific cons about the UW, except that they charge for parking.

Allocate more resources to research and education, less to administration

8. Stimulating intellectual environment; administrative positions can be frustrating because of an emphasis on process.

Current Employee - Business Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Some great co-workers and the chance to contribute to the greater good. Tuition waivers are great depending in your field (beware: fee-based programs are not covered by the tuition waiver!) My boss was terrific about letting me structure my half-time hours around those seminars that occurred during business hours. Loved that flexibility.

Cons

Rules and process can overshadow progress. It really depends on the area where you work, however.

More management training for upper management (I'm addressing this to UW Medicine) would make a difference. Management is an art and a science unto itself; having an advanced degree in a biological or medical specialty doesn't compensate for a lack of management expertise.

9. Associate Professor of Finance

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great University in one of the best cities in North America

Cons

Remote location within US, but very centrally located globally

10. Great place to work for a student

Former Employee - Java Mentor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Java Mentor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at University of Washington

Pros

Flexibility of class schedule, great personal benefits, get paid for resume experience

Cons

Low salary, crazy peak times

Don't be afraid to keep hiring mentors, they are certainly used

11. Innovating environment with the most talented people I have ever come across

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

New directions for scientific research, immense pool of talented individuals, challenging and encouraging field, a lot of interesting research that is directly related to translation and to helping people

Cons

The research pace is slower than desired to see a medical tool going from lab to translation in the clinic.

University of Washington Photos