University of Washington

University of Washington Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

University of Washington President Michael K. Young

Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good (in 39 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe (in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected) (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Very relaxed, flexible atmosphere. Excellent for students.

ProsFlexible hours, decent pay, good job experience

ConsSalary is low, but considering I'm just a student-worker I'm OK with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone!

One of great learning and self-motivation experience.

Marketing and Sales Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFreedom to market and develop leads in your own unique way. Employees always there to give you feedback or offer advice.

ConsWe were not given a budget for marketing and promotion. Pretty much had to rely solely on our people skills and sales skills.

Rewarding university experience. There are plenty of places that lack the benefits of this university.

Affiliate Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTeamwork, travel funds, high staff loyalty, excellent training opps, great students. It seems like the perks have increased: I am now invited to march, and they even rented a gown for me this year. I was too broke to buy my doctoral gown when I graduated, so have avoided marching til now. I have to say that I have been able to travel when I needed, and have been supported in my writing. I have an amazing research library at my finger tips, and it is also great that the university plans its tech roll-outs so well. The administration has also been very supportive in my efforts to build community outreach and collaboration.

ConsThere are no cons, really and truly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPart-timers need offices, but office space is at a premium in the health sciences, and so we are naturally squeezed out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Assistant working for a great organization

Prosflexible with school schedule. Benefited from a lot of education and staff support. Able to adjust schedule according to class schedule. Great team to work with.

ConsDo not have a lot to say. Nothing really comes to mind when accessing the cons of this position.

Excellent educational system, excellent place to work

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHours are flexible. The people are the absolute best.

ConsComputers need to be updated to latest technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're all the best.

Work at UW

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsA good location with nice people and environments

ConsSalary is low as a postdoc

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance is good

Entering UW as a Temp Not Recommended

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt's possible to build a reference base if you try moving into something permanent. Benefits apply the same to temps as they do everyone else, and they are quite good.

ConsBased on my own experiences over 12 years working periodically at the UW in several different departments:

• As a temp, or working in a fixed duration position, it is more likely than not that you will be routinely second-guessed, over-supervised, backstabbed, and generally unsupported by management and fellow workers. UW classified staff culture can include: Passive aggression and blatant exclusion, glacial bureaucracy, dated and chronically malfunctioning office equipment, and even explicit sexism of the "women are good at this, men not so much" variety. Some departments are not as bad as others, but generally, working as a temp for the UW is demeaning and soul-sucking. And if you file a complaint, don't expect Human Resources or other authorities to be honest, fair, or very effective at resolving conflicts.

• For one of the country's most expensive and fastest growing cities, the pay is a joke.

• If you are a women, you would be well advised to not walk alone past dark anywhere on campus, some areas not any time of day.

• If you live 10 or more miles from the UW, plan on two hours minimum of daily commuting on a bus, walking or riding a bicycle, or competing for free, but exceedingly scarce, all day parking spaces a mile or further from your department. That, or you can choose to spend up to $1500 a year for an on-campus staff parking pass, that may or may not be reasonable walking distance from your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is probably no point in advising management, as they appear to be systemically immune to reprimands of any real or lasting consequences.

Great place unless you aren't an academic

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsU Pass, access to campus facilities, benefits are good

ConsIf you don't have a PhD, you will find yourself regularly treated like a second class citizen. The corporate culture is deplorable. If you think UW isn't a business, you would be wrong. If you are considering applying as an administrator, know that you will never get a day off and everyone's problems will be your job. Faculty and graduate students expect you to be their slave, and this is born out by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate high turnover in administrative positions and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

So glad to be out

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSelect professors have amazing amounts of funding, and the graduate health benefits are decent. If you get a committee that doesn't chastise you for taking courses outside your department that help you do your research, you have it made!

ConsThese comments apply only to my old department, I hope. Tenured professors weren't held accountable for their actions (e.g. sloppy teaching, poor advising, sexist remarks), but I suppose that's more a problem with tenure than with UW. Horrendous and toxic office culture, and the administration is often completely oblivious to student needs. You were seen as weak if you prioritized your life outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't solicit money from students BEFORE they graduate. I got several calls starting a year before graduation.

Not a great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI was extremely excited when I received a job offer from UW. I've heard great things about being a UW employee and after doing some research on this site, I saw all the positive reviews and thought it was going to be a great place to work. I was wrong! After a month, I submitted my resignation. I can't wait to be done working here! To be fair, many of my co-workers have told me to explore opportunities in other departments because things can be very different depending on the area you work in. Maybe I just joined the wrong team and the job wasn't a great fit for me. Either way, my advice would be ask A LOT of questions during the interview process to ensure you don't end up in this situation!

ConsDoes not pay well, archaic systems, unnecessary processes, monotonous work, controlling managers (micro-managing!!!), little autonomy, not a lot of flexibility (regarding work schedule or time-off), extremely formal, tense culture. In a nutshell, this place operates a lot like many companies did 10 years ago. They need to step it up and get with the times!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that will engage and inspire their employees, invest in new systems and put leaders through change management and LEAN training.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!