University of Washington

Updated November 26, 2014
3.8

University of Washington President Michael K. Young
Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good (in 44 reviews)

• There is also the opportunity to take UW classes and of course the great benefits (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe (in 18 reviews)

• Do not expect the sort of salary increases that the private sector offers (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Large university

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Many jobs on campus and room to grow.

Cons

Each department can be drastically different so there's a lot of duplicate efforts that could be minimized.

Give more opportunities to below your level. There are some managers that do this well while others do poorly. Many development classes on campus isn't free so managers should have the dept fund some of those opportunities if appropriate.

Big university, lots of opportunities

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Good benefits, lots of opportunity to meet world-class researchers.

Cons

Salary is low but not unusual.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are awesome, all of the staff are hard working and overall contribute to a team effort. I worked within the library and it such a supportive place. Everyone is friendly and it's a very positive environment. I also enjoyed being around all the academics who have the most interesting story stories to tell. Also, awesome place to network and move around to different areas of the University, as it is vast and full of opportunities.

Cons

The tenured staff tend to be less motivated and that can be frustrating. Budget cuts are constantly happening so there isn't always the job security you might hope for. There are also times when the culture gets cut throat and I've heard of many staff trying to get others fired for the wrong reasons. Working for professors can sometimes mean they have little regard for your life outside of work, and their anti-social demeanor can also get tiring, honestly.

HIV-1 vaccine development

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment and nice compensation

Cons

compensation isn't comparable with NIH

Give young people more room for promotion

UW offers many opportunities.

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positions at various levels and at multiple locations. Once in the UW system, ability to search for and apply fo additional jobs. Benefits are excellent and offered to those who work half time or more. Medical, dental, 401-k matching.

Cons

Large institution with it's share of bureacratic policies/red tape.

Upper management varies depending on the division.

It is a university.

Former Employee - Graduate Researcher and TA in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graduate Researcher and TA in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a graduate student is unique experience. For me, the toils and tribulations that I shared with my peers helped to form much tighter bonds than I had developed as an undergraduate. Teaching was also a lot of fun. I liked trying to find the balance between being charming and informative--between quick thinking and careful consideration. There was plenty of interesting research being done in the department. There was always a push for innovative, self-reliant solutions to problems that arose.

Cons

Work was often done in isolation so people often had difficulties appreciating the effort that their colleagues had made. There were never any clear end-goals or metrics of accumulated success--expectations always shifted as projects did. There seemed to be an expectation of working-to-be-seen-as-busy rather than working because it provided intellectual stimulation or genuine human fulfillment or even accomplished anything. The hours were unappealing and uncompromising. By the end of my short stint here, I had grown to hate many of things that I had once loved.

I don't think that I'm qualified to give any advice.

Second class citizens

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Affiliation with the region's flagship university; library privileges provide access to hundreds of databases - this is perfect for the information junkie.

Cons

Part-timers do not have benefits or much in the way of advancement opportunities although the University system as a whole (not just UW) is relying more and more on part-timers to deliver instruction to traditional students, not just continuing education.

Fair benefits and work environment with some opportunity for lateral movement.

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Work environment
    Colleagues
    Some opportunity for lateral movement

Cons

Bureaucracy at its finest
    Hard to move up
    Grant-funded positions create cyclical anxiety and layoffs

Great experience. Not a great atmosphere.

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

Training in Solidworks, ANSYS, MasterCAM, HSM Works, NX.

Cons

General culture of arrogance and condescension.

Take a deep breath and realize that FSAE is not the most important thing in the world. You're not engineers, you're student engineers. People join to learn and have fun so be less angry all the time.

Great Research University in the Pacific NW

Current Employee - Counseling Services Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Counseling Services Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The University of Washington is primarily a Research I institution. It all depends on what office / division you are in, but there is ample room and support for professional development and upward mobility within the institution.

Cons

Again, it depends on which office / department you are in and what your role is within the university, but it isn't too hard to find people who are rather complacent and uninspired. It is just their job and nothing more. I don't like to spend my time around those people. Life is too short for that.

University of Washington Photos