University of Washington

Updated September 19, 2014
3.9

University of Washington President Michael K. Young
Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good (in 39 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe (in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected) (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

One of great learning and self-motivation experience.

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Freedom to market and develop leads in your own unique way. Employees always there to give you feedback or offer advice.

Cons

We were not given a budget for marketing and promotion. Pretty much had to rely solely on our people skills and sales skills.

Rewarding university experience. There are plenty of places that lack the benefits of this university.

Current Employee - Affiliate Assistant Professor  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Affiliate Assistant Professor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Teamwork, travel funds, high staff loyalty, excellent training opps, great students. It seems like the perks have increased: I am now invited to march, and they even rented a gown for me this year. I was too broke to buy my doctoral gown when I graduated, so have avoided marching til now. I have to say that I have been able to travel when I needed, and have been supported in my writing. I have an amazing research library at my finger tips, and it is also great that the university plans its tech roll-outs so well. The administration has also been very supportive in my efforts to build community outreach and collaboration.

Cons

There are no cons, really and truly.

Part-timers need offices, but office space is at a premium in the health sciences, and so we are naturally squeezed out.

Student Assistant working for a great organization

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

flexible with school schedule. Benefited from a lot of education and staff support. Able to adjust schedule according to class schedule. Great team to work with.

Cons

Do not have a lot to say. Nothing really comes to mind when accessing the cons of this position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent educational system, excellent place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours are flexible. The people are the absolute best.

Cons

Computers need to be updated to latest technologies.

You're all the best.

Work at UW

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good location with nice people and environments

Cons

Salary is low as a postdoc

work-life balance is good

UW-IT is a great place to work as a student!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Managers who really care and advocate for employees' professional development and growth
    - Team members who get along with each other and strive for a friendly culture
    - Many levels of promotion - raises with each promotion
    - Employees are encouraged to pick up new skills and given opportunities to utilize personal skills and interests to serve the team

Cons

- Sometimes clients can be really rude and difficult to deal with
    - The org is going through some leadership and vision changes right now that are making some processes confusing

Spend more time in the office if you can! It's nice when you're more hands on with the team.

Entering UW as a Temp Not Recommended

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

It's possible to build a reference base if you try moving into something permanent. Benefits apply the same to temps as they do everyone else, and they are quite good.

Cons

Based on my own experiences over 12 years working periodically at the UW in several different departments:

• As a temp, or working in a fixed duration position, it is more likely than not that you will be routinely second-guessed, over-supervised, backstabbed, and generally unsupported by management and fellow workers. UW classified staff culture can include: Passive aggression and blatant exclusion, glacial bureaucracy, dated and chronically malfunctioning office equipment, and even explicit sexism of the "women are good at this, men not so much" variety. Some departments are not as bad as others, but generally, working as a temp for the UW is demeaning and soul-sucking. And if you file a complaint, don't expect Human Resources or other authorities to be honest, fair, or very effective at resolving conflicts.

• For one of the country's most expensive and fastest growing cities, the pay is a joke.

• If you are a women, you would be well advised to not walk alone past dark anywhere on campus, some areas not any time of day.

• If you live 10 or more miles from the UW, plan on two hours minimum of daily commuting on a bus, walking or riding a bicycle, or competing for free, but exceedingly scarce, all day parking spaces a mile or further from your department. That, or you can choose to spend up to $1500 a year for an on-campus staff parking pass, that may or may not be reasonable walking distance from your department.

There is probably no point in advising management, as they appear to be systemically immune to reprimands of any real or lasting consequences.

Works to Represent all sides

I worked at University of Washington part-time

Pros

Flexible, Great support staff, Works with Employees

Cons

Low hours, late notice for hour changes

Worked in various positions as a graduate student

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on the position, people are generally cooperative and the campus location/environment is a great place to work in. Great blend of the academic and work world.

Cons

A lot of programs are not tech savvy/updated and there is often lots of long, complicated paperwork to fill out. Teaching assistants are not paid as well as they should be for the amount of time they put in.

Positive experience since the beginning; almost 10 years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work/life balance opportunities, great benefits, supportive leadership with realistic vision and considered implementation plan. Also, a lot of interesting and cutting edge research going on.

Cons

As many mention, the salary range is a bit below market, though once all the benefits of working at UW are considered, including living in the PNW, I don't feel it's much of an issue.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!