University of Washington

Updated August 19, 2014

3.9

University of Washington President Michael K. Young
Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good (in 39 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe (in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected) (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

431 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Research University in the Pacific NW

Current Employee - Counseling Services Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Counseling Services Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The University of Washington is primarily a Research I institution. It all depends on what office / division you are in, but there is ample room and support for professional development and upward mobility within the institution.

Cons

Again, it depends on which office / department you are in and what your role is within the university, but it isn't too hard to find people who are rather complacent and uninspired. It is just their job and nothing more. I don't like to spend my time around those people. Life is too short for that.

Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My tuition was paid for and I got to work closely with my professors.

Cons

Faculty sometimes wanted us to do work that was unpaid.

Greate place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Programmer II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Programmer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for less than a year

Pros

freedom to explore multiple options for solving problems
    low stress environment

Cons

Slow to respond to requests

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good employer to work for. Modest salaries are balanced by benefits and relative job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you enjoy academic life, working at a major university might be for you. There are always opportunities to attend lectures, conferences, and employees can take up to six credit hours for free every quarter (working the class into your schedule may be difficult). Time off is fairly generous (ten named holidays, and classified staff accrue 8+ hours of vacation time monthly). Working overtime is usually not necessary, excepting major conferences or the beginning of the academic year.

UW (at least at my department) places a high value on student satisfaction and supporting the students is taken very seriously. Also, UW is very progressive (and its policies reflect that), so if you lean conservative, you need to be aware that you will be in the minority here (it's Seattle, don't act surprised).

Cons

Navigating UW policy can be akin to navigating a labyrinth. Your department will have its own policy, centers within your department have their own policies, and other departments you may work with have their own policies. Have fun trying to interpret policy and apply it properly.

Also, you might be surprised at the amount of politicking (jockeying) that goes on in an academic community; don't assume that non-profits are immune, or that simply doing your job well and keeping your head down means you can escape office politics.

Finally, achieving promotions can be difficult and extremely slow, especially if you are classified staff. Do not expect the sort of salary increases that the private sector offers. If you're in with somebody high-ranked, though, you'll probably have corners cut for you.

Consider more transparency, and how playing favorites hurts company morale. Most of us don't work for a university because we hope to earn mega-salaries, but that doesn't mean that we aren't going to notice when someone is constantly promoted or given compensation above their abilities or work output.

Great Campus.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are just fine. Work-to-Live. Freedom.

Cons

Isolating. Limited Mentorship. Poor Advising.

foster a sense of community.

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very laid back at the Office of Diversity and Minority Affairs. Sometimes I wouldn't go to work, and no one would even notice. Everyone was nice, and I was able to get a lot of homework done while at work, which was nice.

Cons

Boring sometimes, it is nice to have something to do.

Keep track of employees?

Not for those who are young and motivated...

Current Employee - Undergraduate Admissions  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Admissions in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

-Work-life balance is great
    -Nice to work for such a well-respected university that is vital to the Pacific Northwest region
    -Benefits are good, especially ability to take a handful of classes for a small fee (depending on space). ORCA card for about $40/month, excellent match on retirement, good health coverage, and discounts at local businesses
    -Job security - It is probably impossible to get fired from UW, even if you aren't fulfilling the duties in your job description.

Cons

-Abysmal "leadership" . People who do well and are promoted into leadership roles here are people who don't rock the boat and rarely do they possess any management or leadership skills.
    -Culture that is completely opposed to new ideas or process improvements. Refuse to take employees' ideas or suggestions seriously unless you've been sitting at your desk doing as you are told for 3-4 years first. Not a good place for someone who is young and motivated. Not a good place for someone who has worked at any other university and has knowledge of best practices elsewhere.
    -The most passive aggressive place you will ever experience
    -Not very customer-focused... few employees will go out of their way to help prospective students/applicants
    -Parking is insanely expensive - takes a big chunk out of your meager salary
    -Pay is far below market value and really no structure for merit increases or raises (particularly over last few years when there was a freeze on salaries, obviously out of manager's control)
    -Morale is low and everybody is miserable but sticks around because it is a relatively easy/ low stress place to work with a good reputation.

People are miserable. No clear direction or focus on mission / goals. This office is in need of a major re-organization and re-evaluation of current employees and particularly leadership team. Need to bring in people from the outside who have real experience and actually encourage change and innovation.

Great place to work as a student

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time for more than a year

Pros

As a engineering research assistant (with funding), tuition, insurance, and living stipend were covered. Research also counted to degree credits. Great opportunity to get into leading-edge technology, and R&D. Good networking when attending conferences. Especially good experience when looking to make a career in R&D and Academia.

Cons

Working and full-time graduate school leaves little personal time, but that is expected. If you're looking to make a career in industry, two-years of work experience may be better than Master's/Research.

Nothing negative to say here.

Great for science-based classes

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

Very resourceful library research
    Pretty good career center
    Great access to facilities, like library, buspass, etc
    Great quality teachers that are knowledgeable in their field

Cons

Several majors (esp weird majors with less consumers) advisors are really lacking
    Pretty restricted for equal opportunities for international students (the advisors suck big time)

Please make it better for the ISS. International students are also a great asset to the community.

Great School

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time for more than a year

Pros

If your a student doing the Work Study program, the best part about it is that they are very flexible with your school times and are willing to change your hours when needed, of course this varies by the department you are working at, but as for my experience, the School of Public Health provided an unforgettable yet growing experience.

Cons

The only con I have in mind is working in the Health Sciences Building. It can be confusing to navigate and even more difficult to give directions to others on the phone!

Nothing, the School of Public Health was understanding, very friendly and helpful.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!