University of West Georgia
www.westga.edu Carrollton, GA 500 to 999 Employees

University of West Georgia Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014
University of West Georgia – US – “West Georgia College”

Beheruz N. Sethna

Great

Prosit was a Fun place to work

Consnone i can think of

Gained many diversed skills and training in Business and Information Systems

ProsIncrease education, leadership skills, internship, worklife balance, experience

ConsFees, tuition, distance and equipment

Advice to Senior Managementstudents first approach

A very positive, attuned and familiar experience, UWG provided a comforting and rewarding environment.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee)
    Carrollton, GA

ProsVery equal-opportunity, kind and listens to its employees. The campus is easily traversed and gorgeous (especially with their new improvements). Very flexible scheduling. Depending on position there is tuition reimbursement.

ConsManagement struggles with seeing subordinates point of view (at times).

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps spend a little more time seeing everyone (above and below) on a more equal playing field regarding status as a _person_.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

eh

Student Assistant (Former Employee)
    Carrollton, GA

Prospros are flexible schedules and thats about it.

Consbad pay, management doesn't have much interest in anything but keeping there comfy job
    the jobs are extremely boring.

Advice to Senior Managementquit

It has been an enjoyable experience

Desktop Support Specialist - Intermediate Level (Current Employee)
    Carrollton, GA

ProsIt is a 8-5 everyday of the week. It is a safe work environment. It is a stable work environment. I don't have to worry about if they are going to collapse cause they are a state school. Frequent off time.

ConsPay is under average. You are working for a state school so there are certain hoops you have to jump through

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a great place to work at, I have no advice to give.

I made more money with a bachelor's degree than I do here with Ph.D.

ProsPros - expectations for publications are EXTREMELY low - I've been here less than one year and already met the publication requirements for my department. The students are great and teaching here is incredibly rewarding from the position of seeing the students challenged.

ConsThe University is incredibly insular - a LOT of the faculty have gotten their degrees here and haven't work at many universities outside of this one. It's a very strange culture. I've been here since August as an one year assistant professor and spent that time observing the culture of the university and it is a very strange place. I feel like they want things to change and progress, but have no idea what to do about it because everyone's been at this one university their entire professional careers. Communication operates on gossip rather than direct communication. We have an interim provost right now and all he does is send us terrible articles to read; I don't think he has made a single decision regarding the university since he was placed as interim provost. Working here is frustrating - it takes more time to figure out who to contact to solve problems than it does to actually solve the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou desperately need to improve the website and you need more direct communication from administration to curb the amount of gossip that occurs here. I've taught at five other universities and this one is the worst with regards to having direct communication with employees. Your benefits and pay are much too low for what you expect; the financial rewards just aren't there. This job isn't worth it.

Spanish Tutor (Current Employee)
    Carrollton, GA

ProsFamily environment full of mentors to help and guide.

ConsThe wage is not much but it is a good starting point.

Great work environment, low pay for middle management and below

Staff In Division of Student Affairs (Current Employee)
    Carrollton, GA

ProsSupportive co-workers, talented students, multitude of professional development opportunities, engaged senior administrators,continually evolving and improving, beautiful facilities. Health and dental insurance package is competitive.

ConsWith the exception of senior administrators, salaries are quite low. Raises beyond the Mercer Study are incredibly hard to come by. Monies can be arranged, but a person who receives a job offer must negotiate extra skillfully to obtain what they are worth...otherwise their salary is likely to remain exactly the same for the next 3 to 5 years despite positive evaluations.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Place to work

Carrollton, GA

ProsBenefits and PTO. Flexible scheduling if you have other commitments. Free education to employees. Great teamwork in some departments. Professional development is offered on many occasions.

ConsLack of communication between different departments. Lack of advancement at certain times. Lack of proper training in some areas. Senior Managment does not always take suggestions from lower level employees.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot during the process. I worked as a student research assistant.

Student Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Carrollton, GA

ProsThe professors are great to work with and go out of their way to help you understand what they needed you to do.

ConsI honestly can not think of any. I was a student at the time and being a research assistant allowed me to work on my studies and research on my own time.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for University of West Georgia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of West Georgia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of West Georgia CEO Beheruz N. Sethna. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by University of West Georgia employees.