University of Wisconsin Reviews

Reset
2.0
University of Wisconsin President Ray Cross
Ray Cross

Pros
  • Great benefits/paid time off perks (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, Great place to learn and advance your career (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Postdocs are lost in the shuffle - not grad students and not staff (in 7 reviews)

• None (as long as you don't mind cold weather) (in 5 reviews)

1. A disgusting view into State employment and higher education administration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin

Pros

The work/life balance cannot be beat. All employers walk out the door at 4:30pm... no one iota of overtime is expected.

Cons

You become petrified that State employment will render your brain unable to function in the outside world. There is no concern for the bottom line, and decisions are made by leadership without any regard for cost-benefits analyses or other logical business motives. There is no questioning leadership... the attitude is "well if that's what he wants, that's what we'll do." So it is hard expending enormous effort for a project that you know is only going to cost the taxpayers money and have no added benefit. I thought that by going to work at a University, I would be surrounded by intelligent people. Instead I feel the exact opposite. Jobs are so secure there that most employees become very complacent.

Advice to Management

Learn project management. Think about the bottom line.

Showing 1 of 284 review