University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics

University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.9

University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics President and CEO Donna M. Katen-Bahensky
Donna M. Katen-Bahensky

Medical Assistant

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work, love working as a team with my provider

Cons

Some Medical Assistant do just the mininal and get away with it

A good one

I have been working at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics

Pros

Benefits, company vaules are the best.

Cons

Personal growth is difficult when consumed by work.

Good opportunities

I have been working at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The hospital offers great benefits, great vacation package, sick leave that rolls over every year, and excellent opportunities for growth with tuition reimbursement. Opportunities for advancement are many. They have tried to deal with the Act 10 changes appropriately but many employees are still upset by the change in law. Employees see that they have to pay more for retirement and more for insurance but don't take any of the other changes in the health care market into consideration. The hospital has also included the staff in the decisions being made regarding the unions going away but many staff complain about how they don't want to go to meetings, they just want to do their work. If you aren't willing to have a voice in the change, then don't complain about them. You are being given the opportunity to give input, take it. It is human nature to be concerned for yourself but I believe the employees should be very thankful they work in a stable environment.

Cons

Large institution with many layers so it takes a long time for change to happen, this is a disappointment to many staff.

I would ask upper administration to be more visible and get involved more with front line staff.

So far, I find the culture very welcoming and the work environment very pleasant.

Current Employee - Cook in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Cook in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay, benefits, and working a desirable schedule (i.e, posted in advance, consistent, conscious of work/life balance) are all excellent.

Cons

It seems that there might be a bit of red tape within this organization - a bit formal and stiff or excessive.

Great Stability

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here as an undergrad and was hired on as a full-time employee after graduation. It is a great job for what it is. The pay is reasonable right out of school. The benefits are standard since you work for the state. Vacation, sick leave, and personal time are awesome! You get a lot of time and all the vacation rolls over. HR always seems to want to help and generally people are nice and helpful.

Cons

You are part of a very, very large institution, so you have to be your own advocate if you are in need of anything. The office culture depends on what department and division you work in. The first division I worked in felt like a big family and the second one felt like a bunch of middle-school cliques.

Operating Room - Negative Changes

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule - Typically five 8hr shifts, Mon-Fri, Weekend call every other month, Weekday call once per week.
    Tuition Reimbursement at 100% if you are .6FTE or higher (Will change in June 2014)
    Surgeons are friendly and fun to work with for the most part

Cons

RNs have little to no say in practice/policy changes within the Surgical Services department. Call pay is decreasing to only $2.25/hr and getting paid for a minimum of 3hrs (starting in June). Limited availability to take vacation. Management doesn't support staff who "speak out" they are labeled as "trouble makers" and treated with a threatening attitude. Many changes taking place in June 2014 including a 6.5% decrease in pay.

A dynamic dedicated health care organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

For such a large complex organization it feels like home. Staff are highly skilled, and driven to do good work for the benefit of the patients. It is a workplace which instills pride because of the ground breaking work that is done there every day. I see people at all levels strive to provide or contribute to the positive experience of patients and families.

Cons

It is an overly complex organization which should move towards integration of it's 3 entities for the benefit of the patients, staff and community.

Integrate, integrate, integrate!

Great place to start your career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Offers many learning opportunities for young professionals.

Cons

Large environment - it will take time to learn the system.

Great work environment. Excellent pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

Lots of resources available in every area.

Cons

Not flexible with work schedule and work from home options.

Allow work from home options.

Great Place to Call Home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

Professionalism, Advancement Opportunities, Competitive Salary and Great Benefits. The employees are fantastic and there is a sense of pride working along side many of these world renown physicians and nurses. I have been a patient myself and couldn't say enough positive of the entire staff caring for me and my family. If you are willing to get your healthcare at your place of employment, that says everything.

Cons

Management is unapproachable and unaccessible. While there has been turnover "we in leadership" as they like to refer to themselves, there have been many changes for the better over the last couple years. Yet there still seems to be a sense of mistrust between employees and their managers. There is definitely a line drawn between us and them. They don't seem to have realistic expectations of how the hospital runs on a day to day and shift to shift basis. To many it is all about the bottom line and number in the box and not the actual patient care.

Get in the trenches with the staff and really get a feel for the "day in the life" of your employees that you manage on "all" shifts. Healthcare is changing…you want us to be patient and family centered, so do we…practice what you preach. When making management decisions, think about how you would want your loved one cared for and then how can you support that team of people to provide the best care possible. Think outside the box…