University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics

University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics President and CEO Donna M. Katen-Bahensky

Donna M. Katen-Bahensky

So far, I find the culture very welcoming and the work environment very pleasant.

Cook (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe pay, benefits, and working a desirable schedule (i.e, posted in advance, consistent, conscious of work/life balance) are all excellent.

ConsIt seems that there might be a bit of red tape within this organization - a bit formal and stiff or excessive.

Great Stability

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsI worked here as an undergrad and was hired on as a full-time employee after graduation. It is a great job for what it is. The pay is reasonable right out of school. The benefits are standard since you work for the state. Vacation, sick leave, and personal time are awesome! You get a lot of time and all the vacation rolls over. HR always seems to want to help and generally people are nice and helpful.

ConsYou are part of a very, very large institution, so you have to be your own advocate if you are in need of anything. The office culture depends on what department and division you work in. The first division I worked in felt like a big family and the second one felt like a bunch of middle-school cliques.

Operating Room - Negative Changes

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsSchedule - Typically five 8hr shifts, Mon-Fri, Weekend call every other month, Weekday call once per week.
    Tuition Reimbursement at 100% if you are .6FTE or higher (Will change in June 2014)
    Surgeons are friendly and fun to work with for the most part

ConsRNs have little to no say in practice/policy changes within the Surgical Services department. Call pay is decreasing to only $2.25/hr and getting paid for a minimum of 3hrs (starting in June). Limited availability to take vacation. Management doesn't support staff who "speak out" they are labeled as "trouble makers" and treated with a threatening attitude. Many changes taking place in June 2014 including a 6.5% decrease in pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dynamic dedicated health care organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFor such a large complex organization it feels like home. Staff are highly skilled, and driven to do good work for the benefit of the patients. It is a workplace which instills pride because of the ground breaking work that is done there every day. I see people at all levels strive to provide or contribute to the positive experience of patients and families.

ConsIt is an overly complex organization which should move towards integration of it's 3 entities for the benefit of the patients, staff and community.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate, integrate, integrate!

Great place to start your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsOffers many learning opportunities for young professionals.

ConsLarge environment - it will take time to learn the system.

Great work environment. Excellent pay and benefits.

Nurse Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsLots of resources available in every area.

ConsNot flexible with work schedule and work from home options.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow work from home options.

Great Place to Call Home

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsProfessionalism, Advancement Opportunities, Competitive Salary and Great Benefits. The employees are fantastic and there is a sense of pride working along side many of these world renown physicians and nurses. I have been a patient myself and couldn't say enough positive of the entire staff caring for me and my family. If you are willing to get your healthcare at your place of employment, that says everything.

ConsManagement is unapproachable and unaccessible. While there has been turnover "we in leadership" as they like to refer to themselves, there have been many changes for the better over the last couple years. Yet there still seems to be a sense of mistrust between employees and their managers. There is definitely a line drawn between us and them. They don't seem to have realistic expectations of how the hospital runs on a day to day and shift to shift basis. To many it is all about the bottom line and number in the box and not the actual patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the trenches with the staff and really get a feel for the "day in the life" of your employees that you manage on "all" shifts. Healthcare is changing…you want us to be patient and family centered, so do we…practice what you preach. When making management decisions, think about how you would want your loved one cared for and then how can you support that team of people to provide the best care possible. Think outside the box…

A great place to work

Radiation Therapist (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe environment and culture is great

ConsThe parking can be challanging

Medical interpreter

Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsWorked as a Medical Interpreter for University of Wisconsin-Hospital and several other clinics in Madison to get 40 hour week.Good pay,

ConsNo benefits, had to make my own schedule, and pick up some additional hours as a Court interpreter.

So-So

Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsMost of my co- workers were great, however the doctor I worked under was a complete jerk. It's dumb that they pay their schedulers the same as a Medical Assistant with 3 years of experience. That's the Union of course, although I am not sure what "the Union" does for you. I wasn't given the option to transfer when I informed them of my resignation. Whatever I FOUND A BETTER JOB the next day that pays what I should be paid.

ConsParking, MA's are treated like crap, no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Dr. Evil and you'll keep your MA's longer then 3 months at a time...just saying

Worked for University of Wisconsin Hospital And Clinics? Contribute to the Community!