University of Wisconsin-Madison Reviews

265 reviews filtered by
4.1
University of Wisconsin-Madison Interim Chancellor David Ward
David Ward

Pros
  • Great place to gain experience and learn to survive in a working environment (in 13 reviews)

• Excellent engineering departments performing cutting-edge research (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low salary- but that's to be expected when you work for the state (in 5 reviews)

• The pay is lower than it would be if you worked in private industry (in 3 reviews)

1. UW-madison is good place and I can learn a lot of knowledge and make new friends. And I like Madison and it's a awesom.

Pros

Cons

Compensation is not high and relatively low. I frequently work on the weekend. That's kind of busy. I want to move to other company for my next step.

2. Only professors have it good, lab managers and techs are invisible and second class citizens.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job if you don't want to do anything except support a professor and his/her students. Usually the lab positions are not terribly stressful. Okay training for other tech positions in other companies depending on the skillset you can learn. But, many companies don't want people whose experience comes from academia.

Cons

Low compensation. You will never get credit for any innovative ideas because the professor will take it or give it to his students. You are and always will be low person on the totem pole and made to feel that way. I've worked here many years and I know it is a mistake to continue, but my skillset is not terribly useful outside my current lab. Basically, I'm trapped in a dead end low wage job.

Who is the management? The professors? They have skills in their fields, but no management skills. I would hardly call them "the management".

3. Academic Staff are not valued by this employer.

Current Employee - Senior Research Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Research Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Academic staff function in an intellectually stimulating workplace.

Cons

Academic Staff are treated poorly and have no recourse. The University negotiated in poor faith with unions and there has been systematic removal of compensation (benefits and salary). I have witnessed a consistent lack of enforcement of equal employment opportunity laws. Academic staff are pressured to work long hours and forgo leave benefits. I have experienced constant pressure against healthy work family balance.

Train managers in EEO laws and regulations. Remove legislative whipping boy privileges. Pay Academic Staff based on similar market rates.

5. Dull students, lack of academic air

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has such nice libraries.

Cons

HUGE gap in academic level between undergraduate & graduate bodies.
    Very hard to find smart, intellectually challenging people (as the majorities are undergrad).
    The campus is the downtown of the city, it is pretty crowded, parking space is not assigned to even professors.
    TA workload is HUGE as compared to other research schools.
    Stipend significantly smaller as compared to other research schools.
    Inter-disciplinary research opportunity is rare.
    Majority of population seem to have had little exposure to non-white ethnic minorities.

The school administrators seriously need to bring more academic, innovative atmosphere, removing party school culture.

6. TWO THUMBS DOWN FOR UW MADISON

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Laid back when management isn't interfering

Cons

Pay is an insult
    Not enough hours
    Management micromanages when they're not too busy shopping on Amazon.com, or buying things for their kids, or leaving early on a regular basis

7. Graduate student

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison

Pros

Flexible working hours and months long vacation.

Cons

Hectic life style and loads of peer pressure to perform in the graduate school

8. Poor work environment, Few Avenue for Advancement, No Educational Stipends. Benefits continually reduced.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly nice town, beautiful lakes.

Cons

Few training opportunities, no free classes, no educational stipend. Poor HR Management. Poor career advising.

Retire early and get out of town

9. Great and good relaxed job

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison

Pros

Fair to us and nice atmosphere

Cons

Low income at a average range

10. Good Place to Work, Low Salary

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison part-time

Pros

Good Place to Work at

Cons

Low Salary compared to other schools similar quality

11. State politics makes for difficult times

Pros

Great place to work with lots of amazing research and learning taking place. Many opportunities to take advantage of on campus events. A good culture, but more in tune with Badger athletics than working at UW Madison.

Cons

Being at the whim of the state legislature/governor. Unclear future for a top notch flagship university. No real career path for administrative staff.

management is working on a number of fronts - employee engagement initiatives; career path redesign; improving inclusion and diversity in the workforce. however, everytime gains are made, the legislature steps in and takes more funding away. it makes it almost impossible to work here.

University of Wisconsin-Madison Photos

One of our research spaces
Memorial Union