University of Wyoming

Add Photos

University of Wyoming President Richard C. McGinity

Richard C. McGinity

Higher Education

ProsLow tuition, small class sizes, friendly faculty, accessible resources

ConsCold weather, limited parking, poor infrastructure upkeep

Great

Prosnice place to do research

Consfar away from the airport

It's the Wild West as a staff member here

Systems Programmer, Senior (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsExcellent vacation policy for benefited employees - 14 hours a month, plus most school holidays and a one week winter holiday between Christmas and New Years.
    Great retirement contributions into your choice of a 401k or state pension plan

ConsNo leadership within Information Technology. Prime examples of this are the lack of a service management infrastructure (attempts to implement ITIL and other methodoligies have always failed to catch on permanently), and no software/application development process such as Agile or Waterfall in place. There are also no guidelines or institutional commitments to interaction between departments and IT. Many directors adopt a "get it done, and don't bother me" philosophy, and do not have a basic understanding of what the various teams in their departments are working on. Basic position descriptions of responsibilities, expectations, and accountability are not provided.

Office culture is generally a "backstabbing" environment, due to the lack of advancement opportunities and managerial support.

Advice to Senior ManagementVPs of campus need to actively address the cons listed above

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsSmall town and quite
    Low living expenses

ConsVery cold winter
    Some stubborn managers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to seek the lower level to make new policies

I'm happy here, but not everyone is.

ProsGreat colleagues, excellent facilities, good working environment, short commute, pleasant community. Some departments are highly rated. Has advantages of a college town without the downside of a big city, yet has easy access to larger metro areas. Great outdoor amenities in the region.

ConsAdministrative turnover has rendered the institution's direction uncertain. Like most state universities, suffered budget cuts during the financial crisis; salaries are below market, with no raises for several years. Staff support was also reduced with the budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what our recently retired president Tom Buchanan pointed out in an interview: "the institution is its people."

Challenging with lots of opportunity for creativity

Associate Extension Educator (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsLots of opportunity to follow your areas of interest, work on projects you are passionate about, and get involved in the community. Opportunity to take on leadership roles and participate in professional development. Lots of flexibility.

ConsLack of direction. You really need to be a self starter, independent, and confident. If you aren't good at planning and saying no, or even if you are, you can spend all your time working.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a clearer direction that everyone can get behind.

This experience has been a very rewarding internship while attending school full-time.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsGreat flexibility with school schedule.

ConsPoor pay with no benefits as Intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to relax.

Great student job source to earn some easy income

Night Host (Former Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsReally easy simple jobs. Can often study/do homework while at job post.

ConsHave to makeup being interested in "becoming a leader" if you say you're interested in the benefits they automatically black list you.
    Some bureaucratic rules like if need repairman, can't directly call repairman instead have to call repair man's dispatcher but if that person out then stuff stays out of service until next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementSummer Resident Assistants are helpful since they're always around, but during fall/spring semesters the people hired for RA jobs seem to be hard to find.

My experience has provided and given me an opportunity to learn and grow as person and as a top notch employee.

Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) Cheyenne, WY

ProsLearned how to multitask, learned how to set priorities, learned how to create systems for myself and learned how to meet deadlines and keep up with a steady work flow.

ConsWorking for a leadership who came in and ripped us apart and changed our departments way of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways build honesty within each other and appreciate each other's work. We all need each other.

The only four-year university in the state, UW is by definition all things to all people.

ProsUW has a beautiful campus in a great town, surrounded by fabulous mountains. If you like the out of doors, you will find many opportunities here.

ConsWinters are harsh (though 300 days of sun/year); it often snows on graduation in May.

Worked for University of Wyoming? Contribute to the Community!