University of Wyoming

Richard C. McGinity

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ms Research Assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsThe most important reason for me to work here is the assistanship opportunity that UW provides for master students.

ConsLaramie is versy small town and there are not muh to do in the city. In addition to that, weathere is very cold.

Researcher

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsFriendly, easy going atmosphere. Easy to get help when needed. Everyone is very passionate about their work.

ConsTerrible pay. Raises are rare and when they do come they are a joke. No career here just a stagnant job. high turnover rate due to these three factors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart becoming competitive in pay and make it worth our time to work here.

Good

Lecturer (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsGreat culture, good money, freedom

ConsPoor supervisor, strange choice for University President

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep good people in top positions, and replace department chairs after two terms

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This department ids very nice.

Office Assistant Senior (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsThe typical college campus stuff

ConsUW pays support staff next to nothing and gives no raises. This year, first raise 6 years and our contribution to retirement and health insurance increased.

Great institution, very well managed and supported by the state.

Manager of A Grant Funded Program (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsExcellent colleagues, forward thinking environment. Facilities are first class as is the quality of the workforce. The students are some of the best I've been exposed to. Decent benefits, and excellent flexibility in work schedules.

ConsSalaries have been flat for nearly 5 years due to economic downturn. Although the legislature has finally passed a budget that includes some increases, the overall impact of the "no raises" has been that we've begun to loose talented people, especially researchers and support staff. Salaries do not compare well to other regional institutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work hard at bringing salaries nearer to par with similar institutions.

I am a current phD candidate in Chemistry department. I am designing synthetizing new solid state materials.(Carbides)

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsLaramie is a nice place to stay in.

ConsWinter is quite tough for most people.

Fulfilling and enjoyable

Cremember (Former Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsCamping for ten days at a time. Good company and enjoyable outdoor work

ConsTeam dynamics were hit or miss

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees are willing to work outdoor manual labor

It's the Wild West as a staff member here

Systems Programmer, Senior (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsExcellent vacation policy for benefited employees - 14 hours a month, plus most school holidays and a one week winter holiday between Christmas and New Years.
    Great retirement contributions into your choice of a 401k or state pension plan

ConsNo leadership within Information Technology. Prime examples of this are the lack of a service management infrastructure (attempts to implement ITIL and other methodoligies have always failed to catch on permanently), and no software/application development process such as Agile or Waterfall in place. There are also no guidelines or institutional commitments to interaction between departments and IT. Many directors adopt a "get it done, and don't bother me" philosophy, and do not have a basic understanding of what the various teams in their departments are working on. Basic position descriptions of responsibilities, expectations, and accountability are not provided.

Office culture is generally a "backstabbing" environment, due to the lack of advancement opportunities and managerial support.

Advice to Senior ManagementVPs of campus need to actively address the cons listed above

Challenging with lots of opportunity for creativity

Associate Extension Educator (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsLots of opportunity to follow your areas of interest, work on projects you are passionate about, and get involved in the community. Opportunity to take on leadership roles and participate in professional development. Lots of flexibility.

ConsLack of direction. You really need to be a self starter, independent, and confident. If you aren't good at planning and saying no, or even if you are, you can spend all your time working.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a clearer direction that everyone can get behind.

This experience has been a very rewarding internship while attending school full-time.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Laramie, WY

ProsGreat flexibility with school schedule.

ConsPoor pay with no benefits as Intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to relax.

Worked for University of Wyoming? Contribute to the Community!