University of Wyoming

Updated December 15, 2014
3.9

University of Wyoming President Richard C. McGinity
Richard C. McGinity

Pros
  • Great work environment with friendly coworkers (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits, pay, atmosphere, work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • UW pays support staff next to nothing and gives no raises (in 3 reviews)

• Cold weather, limited parking, poor infrastructure upkeep (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It's the Wild West as a staff member here

Current Employee - Systems Programmer, Senior in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Systems Programmer, Senior in Laramie, WY

I have been working at University of Wyoming full-time

Pros

Excellent vacation policy for benefited employees - 14 hours a month, plus most school holidays and a one week winter holiday between Christmas and New Years.
    Great retirement contributions into your choice of a 401k or state pension plan

Cons

No leadership within Information Technology. Prime examples of this are the lack of a service management infrastructure (attempts to implement ITIL and other methodoligies have always failed to catch on permanently), and no software/application development process such as Agile or Waterfall in place. There are also no guidelines or institutional commitments to interaction between departments and IT. Many directors adopt a "get it done, and don't bother me" philosophy, and do not have a basic understanding of what the various teams in their departments are working on. Basic position descriptions of responsibilities, expectations, and accountability are not provided.

Office culture is generally a "backstabbing" environment, due to the lack of advancement opportunities and managerial support.

VPs of campus need to actively address the cons listed above

Good place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I have been working at University of Wyoming part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small town and quite
    Low living expenses

Cons

Very cold winter
    Some stubborn managers

Try to seek the lower level to make new policies

I'm happy here, but not everyone is.

I have been working at University of Wyoming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, excellent facilities, good working environment, short commute, pleasant community. Some departments are highly rated. Has advantages of a college town without the downside of a big city, yet has easy access to larger metro areas. Great outdoor amenities in the region.

Cons

Administrative turnover has rendered the institution's direction uncertain. Like most state universities, suffered budget cuts during the financial crisis; salaries are below market, with no raises for several years. Staff support was also reduced with the budget cuts.

Remember what our recently retired president Tom Buchanan pointed out in an interview: "the institution is its people."

Challenging with lots of opportunity for creativity

Current Employee - Associate Extension Educator in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Associate Extension Educator in Laramie, WY

I have been working at University of Wyoming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to follow your areas of interest, work on projects you are passionate about, and get involved in the community. Opportunity to take on leadership roles and participate in professional development. Lots of flexibility.

Cons

Lack of direction. You really need to be a self starter, independent, and confident. If you aren't good at planning and saying no, or even if you are, you can spend all your time working.

Provide a clearer direction that everyone can get behind.

This experience has been a very rewarding internship while attending school full-time.

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Laramie, WY

I have been working at University of Wyoming as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great flexibility with school schedule.

Cons

Poor pay with no benefits as Intern.

Management needs to relax.

Great student job source to earn some easy income

Former Employee - Night Host in Laramie, WY
    Former Employee - Night Host in Laramie, WY

I worked at University of Wyoming part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really easy simple jobs. Can often study/do homework while at job post.

Cons

Have to makeup being interested in "becoming a leader" if you say you're interested in the benefits they automatically black list you.
    Some bureaucratic rules like if need repairman, can't directly call repairman instead have to call repair man's dispatcher but if that person out then stuff stays out of service until next day.

Summer Resident Assistants are helpful since they're always around, but during fall/spring semesters the people hired for RA jobs seem to be hard to find.

My experience has provided and given me an opportunity to learn and grow as person and as a top notch employee.

Current Employee - Office Support Specialist in Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - Office Support Specialist in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at University of Wyoming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned how to multitask, learned how to set priorities, learned how to create systems for myself and learned how to meet deadlines and keep up with a steady work flow.

Cons

Working for a leadership who came in and ripped us apart and changed our departments way of work.

Always build honesty within each other and appreciate each other's work. We all need each other.

The only four-year university in the state, UW is by definition all things to all people.

I have been working at University of Wyoming full-time

Pros

UW has a beautiful campus in a great town, surrounded by fabulous mountains. If you like the out of doors, you will find many opportunities here.

Cons

Winters are harsh (though 300 days of sun/year); it often snows on graduation in May.

1 year interning with the Cowboy Joe Club

Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Laramie, WY

I have been working at University of Wyoming as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment with friendly coworkers. Initially, not much structure to the internship. I did get experience working in a variety of different areas withing the Cowboy Joe Club. I got to experience the full business cycle.

Cons

Not enough structure to the internship and not enough oversight.

Provide clear objectives and deadlines with rewards for meeting or exceeding expectations.

Terrible

Former Employee - Dish Washer At Wahsakie Dining Center in Laramie, WY
    Former Employee - Dish Washer At Wahsakie Dining Center in Laramie, WY

I worked at University of Wyoming part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you were willing to work there very long term (i.e. not a college student), there were some reasonable opportunities for promotion. Also, free meal for each shift work.

Cons

I specifically worked in the Dining Center, and the work environment was the worst I have ever seen. The hours were reasonable, so long as you only worked one shift at a time. Often you would be forced to do labor that was difficult or painful.

However, the worst part was a disregard for common health and safety practices. When you start in the dining center, you are required to read and sign to a book of rules of conduct. In there is a list of physical symptoms for which you are required to call in sick - among them things like high fever, diarrhea, nausea, etc. However, what they don't mention is that if you are sick for more than a couple of shifts they will remove you from all shifts (and give them away), in essence a firing. Because many of the people there are poor, broke college students you are often faced with the choice of ignoring the agreement you signed, or risking upsetting the management. The only way to combat it seems to be to get your medical records released directly to the management.

Stick by your own rules.

University of Wyoming Photos