University of York

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Garner

Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work and amazing staff who are supportive of research focus and direction

ConsYork is a relatively small town, having said that, London is only two hours by train

RA in Science

Research Associate (Former Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsThe University of York is a leading university and there is outstanding research done within its wall. There is a lot of enthusiasm and opportunity to grow. It is situated in the very nice and scenic city of York that attracts many visitors.
    I enjoyed the work place and my colleagues but had to leave due to lack of funding

ConsRegrettably a lot of the opportunities the university of york has to grow go underutilized.

Rewarding Experience!

Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsA good amount of training was provided, which I feel will be useful in my future good applications. I was also given the flexibility of choosing which modules I wanted to teach.

ConsPayment for preparing tutorials or marking can be quite tight, hence I sometimes took more time in preparation or giving feedback when marking that I was not paid for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Postgraduate Researcher

Postgraduate Researcher (Former Employee)

ProsI worked on an exciting AHRC-funded collaborative project run by the White Rose Consortium. It ran for three months, during which carried out research on the French higher education system and it was a fantastic experience. I was supervised by a top quality mentor and was very happy to be able to contribute quality resources over the course of my internship.

ConsThere were no downsides to the work carried out.

Great environment and city

Biology Researcher (Current Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsUniversity of York has very friendly people and the city is small but easy to get lost- very interesting.

ConsAlthough there are several training courses for staff, the career is service is not that good!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management school has to be improved

Researcher at University of York - Computer Science

Researcher (Former Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsHighly-ranked University, Excellent campus & facilities, beautiful city.

ConsNot all academic staff up to high standards. Lack of funding and future career prospects. Continuous focus on writing-up as many as possible EU or EPSRC funding proposals without considering scientific quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe review processes for academics and researchers are useless. People complete the every year, but no action is ever taken out of them. The management should make use of them to improve the quality of teaching and research.

It was a good formative experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe university of York is an open environment, where you can join the opportunity to meet and know different person.

ConsSometimes it is unstable in terms of contract.

Worked for University of York? Contribute to the Community!