University of the Arts
www.uarts.edu Philadelphia, PA 500 to 999 Employees

University of the Arts Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014
University of the Arts – Philadelphia – “Tech for Chicago at the Merriam Theatre 2012”

Theatre Technician In Work Study Program

Theatre Technician Work Study (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of the Arts part-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally fun atmosphere. Feels professionally paced. Large amount of on the job learning experiences. Good place to do some networking. Ability to work rentals for larger hourly salary. Very flexible schedules.

ConsHours are limited and competed for. Pay is minimum wage most of the time. Rentals are given to the same couple of people. Supervisors tend to bicker amongst themselves over calendars and sometimes blame students for their mistakes.

Terrible place to work

I have been working at University of the Arts full-time for more than a year

ProsRidiculously awesome vacation time.

ConsTerrible facilities, terribly underqualified and unpleasant administration and mostly cranky and untalented faculty. Running out of money fast.

rather unpleasant place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of the Arts full-time

ProsLocation is good, some interesting people. Everyone seems to make their own hours.

ConsThe buildings are falling apart - the whole place feels like it is falling apart. People have been there for a long time (before you needed any qualifications for jobs, apparently) and are quite cliquey and unfriendly. Pay is low, benefits are expensive and everything seems to be held together with spit and glue.

Experienced short-lived growth and a struggling University come to terms with financial issues.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of the Arts full-time

ProsWonderfully collaborative environment and the students and faculty were inspiring with their talent and an ambitions.

ConsRampant misuse of funds, desperate actions by leadership, departmental silos and mis-communication across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedefine what you can offer with the resources available; create partnerships with like-institutions (there are many close by) and gear up for the advantages a global education can provide.

Creative Confusion

I have been working at University of the Arts

Proswork within a community of creatives
adjunct faculty are some of the most talented in the city

Conshorrendous benefits package
upper level administration with little or no prior experience nor professional credentials

Worked for University of the Arts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of the Arts reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by University of the Arts employees.