University of the District of Columbia Reviews

3.3
CEO

1. Adjunct Professor-Law

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia

Pros

Excellent network of adjunct professors.

Cons

changes in leadership and training could be better

2. Adjunct faculty

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia

Pros

Students are eager and very interested

Cons

Poor faculty support and resources.

Improve classroom facilities and interaction

3. research assistant (electrical engineering department)

Former Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I worked at University of the District of Columbia (more than a year)

Pros

able to work on a project related to underwater communication
    working alongside a professor (advisor) to publish technical paper in underwater communication
    able to work with real underwater communication equipment
    access to IEEE website to gain cutting edge technical paper

Cons

Does a very bad job in explaining the goal of the project or problem definition
    Very less supervision is given by the advisor
    very less technical supervision is provided

define the problem in a clear and concise manner
    try to understand the student's strength and assign the right kind of project
    encourage group effort

5. A wonderful place to work. A dedicated staff; that turly enjoys working with non-traditionsl students from diverse comm

Current Employee - Career Services in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Career Services in Washington, DC

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia

Pros

The opportunity to work with a diverse student population was very exciting! The school has a large population of international students; as well professional students who seek out the Univ. for its affordability.

Cons

As a state university; it does not have a huge budget dedicated to marketing. The image is not as positive as it should be. A

Continue to protect the only state institution of higher learning in the nation's Capitol.

6. Great University for Students, Staff, and Faculty!!!

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at University of the District of Columbia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

During my tenure, I had the opportunity acquire meaningful job experience and skills through positive interactions with staff, faculty, and students of the University.

Cons

Salary cap, University did not offer tuition remittance options for grant funded academic advisor position.

Offer 100 percent tuition remittance to ALL employees.

7. Very important

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Washington, DC

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Meeting deferent people.is a great opertunity in a working place.

Cons

Being the best at everything I start celling tiles,plumbing,computers,painting.

Always go to work 30 minuts early makes a great day.

8. The Students are Hungry for and Education

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Washington, DC

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The experience is invaluable. As a new adjunct professor the opportunity to gain university experience is worth everything. I really connect with the students at UDC. They are very non-traditional where most are first generation scholars. I am unaware of the office culture. UDC does offer seminars and different trainings that are beneficial for personal growth and development.

Cons

Professionalism. The general I believe there is a lack of professionalism and a lack of understand and implementing policy. I have no answers to why this is so. However, I have noticed this in most University settings. I am sure it stems from my coming out of a very professional white collar environment. It may be par for the course. Schedules are very flexible for professors and compensation could be better.

Really? Too many cooks stirring the pot!

part-time faculty

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The student body is great. I really like the opportunity to work with most of the students at this campus. Most of the faculty in the department are also great, friendly, inclusive.

Cons

I have worked at a few universities and I have never seen such incompetency such as this. Sure every bureaucracy can cause issues in efficiency, but UDC takes things to a whole new level. They manage to figure out ways to add seven extra steps to do anything, with errors added at every turn. Everything they do makes it harder on the students, and the faculty. The errors they create they then ask faculty to fix. For example, instead of sending bills to students who have payments due, they kick them out of class, and then ask the professors to check the rosters to see who has been kicked out, and it is then the professors' job to contact the students. Last semester I lost 1/3 of my students because of this, and it turned out that half of those students (5/10) were kicked out because of a clerical error on the side of the financial aid, or bursars office. This is unacceptable! And wasted an hour of my prep time! And could have been avoided had they been willing to send out bills! That is just an example of the many ways they decide to run things at UDC. Also, good luck getting anything done if you have to go to an office in person (they often make you) because everyone is out the door by 4 pm! Which doesn't really work for those poor folks who work days and take or teach evening classes!

Hold people accountable for their jobs, and stop allowing errors. Stop creating these bandaid fixes which really mean more work for the faculty, and less for the administration. You keep cutting programs because you think they aren't retaining students. You want to know why you are losing money and student enrollment is down? You make life so difficult for student through allowing such horrible administration activities to persist, that students either drop out, or if they manage to graduate certainly aren't going to contribute as alumni!

10. Great place to gain experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at University of the District of Columbia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

work life balance, great training, awesome office environment

Cons

can't think of any, but I am a student intern so I have had only great experiences

RUN! Don't walk!

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at University of the District of Columbia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many very nice and committed people here
    The mission is one you can really believe in - especially the new Community College - something DC really needs
    Flexibility is possible if you have the right supervisor

Cons

Very very difficult to be effective.
    This is a large, entrenched bureaucracy that is opaque and extremely difficult to navigate. No opportunity to make improvements or streamline.
    Huan Resources is a disaster! It takes 4-5 months to hire for a position. Paperwork is tedious and even when done correctly, administration will (a) lose it, (b) process it incorrectly, (c) cause inordinate delays and/or (d) make mistakes. Correcting mistakes takes literally months.
    Finance administration is similar.
    Adjunct professors are frequently paid late, start classes with no materials, etc. Very unprofessional.

Streamline systems; ensure consistent implementation of procedures; create operations manuals.
    HR and Finance require serious overhaul.
    So sad, as this is an institution with a very important mission.