University of the Pacific

Pamela A. Eibeck

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"Simple life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, learning environment, growing experience.

Cons

It feels like a brand new company still trying to figure out how to communicate and work together.

Communicate throughout departments.

dismal outlook for faculty

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Attractive campus and generally nice student population. Little oversight for instructors, so one, within limits, has great academic freedom.

Cons

Incompetent department chairs (in my department), unethical practices within departments, poor decisions of upper management.

Stop caring so much about the fiscal aspects of the university and focus on quality education or you'll end up like all the other wannabe universities. Pacific is NOT a world-class institution, so stop pretending it is... focus on making it the best it can be which is a great environment for a well-rounded liberal arts education. Hire competent department chairs and let them build outstanding departments.

Excellent admin, tough academic climate

Current Employee - Director in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits packages, above average salaries, supportive office culture

Cons

VERY fast paced in certain areas, while others (who you depend on) move geologically slow.

Boring, terrible city. Good opportunities for those who can stand the location.

Current Employee - Residence Director in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Residence Director in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Three city campus, not much else.

Cons

Middle of nowhere, dangerous city.

Make the three city program better.

Poor research intitative and no respect for hard work

Former Employee - Grad Assist in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Grad Assist in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good enviornment------------if you are laid back person and know how to do politics and get your work done with words and not with work.

Cons

I wish I can give less then one star in-terms of research enviorment and research initiative taken by the faculty member. No work ethics and no help for upper management to improve research enviorment.

advice ae never implimented........nor the course review feedback

Cordial community, though frenetic pace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pacific is rewarding because of the commitment to our students, whether you are faculty and staff. Everyone knows the students are the priority, and that makes it a rewarding place to work.

Cons

The goals seem to change year to year and we have too many priorities. We lack administrative or strategic focus. Resources are thin, which makes it hard to compete with other universities.

Straightforward and an excellent supporting staff.

Former Employee - Resident Advsior in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Advsior in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of resources and help outside the actual job. For example, access to personal services like health and dental care. Not to mention it was located on a University Campus with plenty of opportunity to attend lectures with guest speakers and other events occurring on campus.

Cons

The surrounding area is somewhat dangerous. Despite the police presence on campus, a number of criminal incidents still occur (bike theft being the most common, cars being broken into being the second most common).

Perfect mix of people looking to get ahead and people content at where they're at.

Former Employee - Coach in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Coach in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a big fish in a small pond
    Small community
    Get to know the system very easily
    Private university

Cons

Not a great athletic reputation
    Salary

Put some effort into winning and getting better instead of policing tiny infractions

Excellent Place to Work and Learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Salary and benefits are very strong. HR does continuing studies to ensure all staff and especially faculty members have salaries that are competitive. Tuition Remission program for dependents is a huge draw (has some rules) and the 403b plan cannot be beat (10% match). Strong health, dental, and other medical plans. Normal vacation and sick time accruals.
    -Cost of living is much lower in California's Central Valley; however, if you want a dose of the Big City, SF, Sacramento, and Oakland are only an hour or two away.
    -Fairly decent leadership; although, the University is going through some challenging times trying to figure out and properly implement the 2020 plan.
    -Faculty are top notch! Since this is not a research University, faculty concentrate on teaching and helping students. It is what sets Pacific apart from others.
    -The campus is beautiful and plenty to do.
    -Surprisingly wide away of financial aid options for students.
    -On campus food is very good! I eat at the DeRosa Center daily. Lots of options.
    -Students are mostly fantastic. Incredibly smart and active.

Cons

-The City of Stockton has some nice features but the city is also in bankruptcy. I feel safe in the safe places. There are some places in Stockton that I will simply not venture through. Thankfully, the area around the University is safe. The University also has its own police force, and since they are also Stockton PD Reserve Officers, they have arrest authority on and off campus.
    -$50K per year overall price tag is pretty steep for anyone. However, plenty of grants and scholarships available. Good place for veterans too as the school participates in VA educational benefit programs.
    -Parking can be a bit tough on occasion and employees and students must purchase a parking pass.
    -Dorm rooms are very small and getting pretty old. The University needs to build or reconfigure most of their dorms. Oh, excuse me, residence halls...

Lead. Academia loves decisions by committee, but there are sometimes that senior leadership needs to step in and say we have studied this enough and it's time for action. We may be at 2020 before 2020 is even implemented.

University culture

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Guaranteed winter break, flexible hours, nice coworkers

Cons

Low pay, unorganized, lack of planning

Communicate