University of the Pacific Reviews

Reset
3.8
University of the Pacific President Pamela A. Eibeck
Pamela A. Eibeck

Pros
  • Beautiful campus and great colleagues (in 8 reviews)

• Pacific is rewarding because of the commitment to our students, whether you are faculty and staff (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Commute to Stockton from the Bay area can be painful at times (in 6 reviews)

• I wish I can give less then one star in-terms of research enviorment and research initiative taken by the faculty member (in 4 reviews)

1. Student Housing Assistant

Current Employee - Summer Housing Assistant in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Summer Housing Assistant in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice and friendly staff. Very chill job.

Cons

Finding someone to cover your shift was difficult

Advice to Management

Have more communication to all chains of command

2. Front Desk Receptionist

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional and friendly work environment. Employers get to know their employees. Excellent place to learn and further your career.

Cons

It is a college, so you do get the unruly student or parent on a rare occasion. Also, it is a fairly prestigious University, your best chance at landing a job there would be being great/ the best at what you do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, you have a great work environment.

3. Engaging and meaningful work

Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific (More than a year)

Pros

There's a great staff and support system in this office. I've enjoyed my past year here working as an assistant.

Cons

At times you will be filing paperwork weeks at a time. Especially the beginning and end of each school year. Other than that it's very manageable.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting staff and keep providing that environment that you want future staff to create please!

5. Good

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good medical and 401K policy

Cons

no leaves for some employees.

Advice to Management

none

6. Great athletics department

Former Employee - Manager, Athletics in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Athletics in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to focus on your projects without too many extraneous distractions. Very creative group of people. I hope this campus is eventually able to shine at the same level as other WCC campuses. They have the vision to do so.

Cons

-Long days. Some game days you will have to start at 9am, and go until 10pm. Setting up and tearing down equipment became a routine that took too long, and there weren't enough students to pay to help. -Living in Stockton.

Advice to Management

Hire more students at better rates. Paying minimum wage is not competitive enough for other on campus jobs, and would be extremely helpful to support full time staff.

7. Financial Aid Receptionist - Student Worker

Former Employee - Financial Aid Receptionist in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Receptionist in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked there a few years ago so from what I hear things are different now. But it was a pretty easy-going job, often being able do homework or surf the internet when things were slow. Boss was pretty understanding of our position as a student and was flexible. Even planned for schedules to change during finals week.

Cons

Having to screen angry parents calling about their kid's financial aid.

Advice to Management

Perhaps meeting with us once in a while to communicate how both parties are feeling about the job. Sometimes felt distant and not on the same page.

8. After School Program through the Jacoby Center

Former Employee - Staff in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Stockton, CA

Pros

This was a very good first job especially for aspiring teachers. You get thrown into creating lesson plans and leading a class of students in various engaging activities (I got hired after the school year started and unfortunately missed out on the training offered before the school year started). The program has certain guidelines to follow but the rest of your lesson plan can be quite flexible. As long as the students are learning and engaged in the activity planned out for them, it's a good indicator that you're doing well. Management has a good open-door policy if you need assistance.

Cons

Unless you wish to pursue a career in teaching/education/working with children, you may struggle as you're doing your best to lead a class and/or feel that you're wasting your time. You will definitely feel discouraged. Don't be. Do your best to stick it out for the school year. There will be a lot of personal growth.

Advice to Management

For the staff members who struggle more than others, giving more words of encouragement can be helpful.

9. "Simple life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, learning environment, growing experience.

Cons

It feels like a brand new company still trying to figure out how to communicate and work together.

Advice to Management

Communicate throughout departments.

10. Excellent admin, tough academic climate

Current Employee - Director in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits packages, above average salaries, supportive office culture

Cons

VERY fast paced in certain areas, while others (who you depend on) move geologically slow.

11. dismal outlook for faculty

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Attractive campus and generally nice student population. Little oversight for instructors, so one, within limits, has great academic freedom.

Cons

Incompetent department chairs (in my department), unethical practices within departments, poor decisions of upper management.

Advice to Management

Stop caring so much about the fiscal aspects of the university and focus on quality education or you'll end up like all the other wannabe universities. Pacific is NOT a world-class institution, so stop pretending it is... focus on making it the best it can be which is a great environment for a well-rounded liberal arts education. Hire competent department chairs and let them build outstanding departments.

RSS Feed </> Embed