University of the Pacific Reviews

Pamela A. Eibeck

1. Financial Aid Receptionist - Student Worker

Former Employee - Financial Aid Receptionist in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Receptionist in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked there a few years ago so from what I hear things are different now. But it was a pretty easy-going job, often being able do homework or surf the internet when things were slow. Boss was pretty understanding of our position as a student and was flexible. Even planned for schedules to change during finals week.

Cons

Having to screen angry parents calling about their kid's financial aid.

Perhaps meeting with us once in a while to communicate how both parties are feeling about the job. Sometimes felt distant and not on the same page.

2. After School Program through the Jacoby Center

Former Employee - Staff in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific

Pros

This was a very good first job especially for aspiring teachers. You get thrown into creating lesson plans and leading a class of students in various engaging activities (I got hired after the school year started and unfortunately missed out on the training offered before the school year started). The program has certain guidelines to follow but the rest of your lesson plan can be quite flexible. As long as the students are learning and engaged in the activity planned out for them, it's a good indicator that you're doing well. Management has a good open-door policy if you need assistance.

Cons

Unless you wish to pursue a career in teaching/education/working with children, you may struggle as you're doing your best to lead a class and/or feel that you're wasting your time. You will definitely feel discouraged. Don't be. Do your best to stick it out for the school year. There will be a lot of personal growth.

For the staff members who struggle more than others, giving more words of encouragement can be helpful.

3. "Simple life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, learning environment, growing experience.

Cons

It feels like a brand new company still trying to figure out how to communicate and work together.

Communicate throughout departments.

5. Excellent admin, tough academic climate

Current Employee - Director in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits packages, above average salaries, supportive office culture

Cons

VERY fast paced in certain areas, while others (who you depend on) move geologically slow.

6. dismal outlook for faculty

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Attractive campus and generally nice student population. Little oversight for instructors, so one, within limits, has great academic freedom.

Cons

Incompetent department chairs (in my department), unethical practices within departments, poor decisions of upper management.

Stop caring so much about the fiscal aspects of the university and focus on quality education or you'll end up like all the other wannabe universities. Pacific is NOT a world-class institution, so stop pretending it is... focus on making it the best it can be which is a great environment for a well-rounded liberal arts education. Hire competent department chairs and let them build outstanding departments.

7. Boring, terrible city. Good opportunities for those who can stand the location.

Current Employee - Residence Director in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Residence Director in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Three city campus, not much else.

Cons

Middle of nowhere, dangerous city.

Make the three city program better.

8. Poor research intitative and no respect for hard work

Former Employee - Grad Assist in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Grad Assist in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good enviornment------------if you are laid back person and know how to do politics and get your work done with words and not with work.

Cons

I wish I can give less then one star in-terms of research enviorment and research initiative taken by the faculty member. No work ethics and no help for upper management to improve research enviorment.

advice ae never implimented........nor the course review feedback

Cordial community, though frenetic pace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pacific is rewarding because of the commitment to our students, whether you are faculty and staff. Everyone knows the students are the priority, and that makes it a rewarding place to work.

Cons

The goals seem to change year to year and we have too many priorities. We lack administrative or strategic focus. Resources are thin, which makes it hard to compete with other universities.

10. Perfect mix of people looking to get ahead and people content at where they're at.

Former Employee - Coach in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Coach in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a big fish in a small pond
    Small community
    Get to know the system very easily
    Private university

Cons

Not a great athletic reputation
    Salary

Put some effort into winning and getting better instead of policing tiny infractions

Straightforward and an excellent supporting staff.

Former Employee - Resident Advsior in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Advsior in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of resources and help outside the actual job. For example, access to personal services like health and dental care. Not to mention it was located on a University Campus with plenty of opportunity to attend lectures with guest speakers and other events occurring on campus.

Cons

The surrounding area is somewhat dangerous. Despite the police presence on campus, a number of criminal incidents still occur (bike theft being the most common, cars being broken into being the second most common).

University of the Pacific Photos