University of the Rockies

Be The First To
Add Photos

great students; Confusing leadership

Prosexcellent students, living in Colorado

Constop leadership often attempts to micromanage things and also behaves deceptively

Advice to Senior Managementgo to psychotherapy and utilize help from your OL faculty

Lacking major organizational structure in numerous ways, in every level of management.

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe building you work in downtown is very nice, it makes you feel like you have a real job before you enter inside.

ConsThose in leadership roles have no prior experience in management, you are on a very restricted schedule, 9 to 6 pm. You receive two, 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch. These must be taken at the exact time they are scheduled, it resembles a K-12 school schedule, no autonomy in your day. Structure is necessary but this is micro managed to the point you just can't understand how this works in a beneficial way…for anyone. They terminate people very randomly, from what I have seen here and some individuals quit because they cannot take the feeling of being so trapped for a paycheck. It's a job, not a career. The irony here is, the University of the Rockies is a Graduate school for Business Psychology degrees and Organizational Development and Leadership".

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp from the Senior leadership down, or it will never change. It may be structured like this purposely? Executive management and floor managers collect large pay checks to perform only a status quo mindset, maybe they feel change would only disrupt their current carpet rides and why work harder than they have too. Classic "Gravy Train Leadership", at best.

Appears different than it actually is - lots of flash and little substance.

Just Another Grunt (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsHave met a few great people. Potential is there if management would get out of the way.

ConsControlling hierarchical executive leadership, Disorganized initiatives and efforts, Overt non-male favoritism in management, Low quality products. Working here may not translate very well to the real world and similar companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividually and collectively you are the problem. The employees have the expertise and ideas needed to advance without your constant interference. Many employees talk about the dysfunction and toxic environment we are subject to.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but...

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLow pressure, but find that you're on your own. I have experience and know what I'm doing, so it's nice to have a lot of freedom with minimum hassles.

ConsThe university is owned by Bridgepoint Education, which is a very aggressive company. When they meddle with university affairs, it's bad news. Now that the sister school - Ashford University - is no longer the problem child with accreditation issues, it seems we're getting more focus from big brother.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your people!

Good for Robots

Course Instructor (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsYou can work from home in your own time.

ConsYou end up working WAY more than a 40 hour week because there are so many students in the class. They have a course mentor to watch EVERYTHING that you do...every email you write and paper you return. They are punitive and threatening, not supportive. They encourage you to turn a blind eye to underachieving students. It is blatantly clear they are just concerned about making money rather than educating.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive autonomy to course instructors. Don't have mentors oversee everything instructors do in a way that is designed to criticize the instructor's performance. Raise the pay given the number of hours that have to be put in.

They over promise, underpay, and under deliver.

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThey give you a nice cube and chair to make tons and tons of calls to shitty leads for students that have no interest in going to school and have told the last 20 enrollment advisors. If you can survive on $28k per year and endure all of the politics they may increase your lead flow in both quality and quantity, which should allow you to get an increase in your 2nd matrix which ends at the end of your 1st year of employment.

ConsThe management only cares about themselves and the enrollments that you bring in. They micro-manage you beyond belief! They tell you in your interview that you can get a HUGE raise after your 6 month review, but the realilty is that I can only think of 2 people that got even a slight raise after a 6 month review, while the other 99% get there pay cut from a measly $40k down to around $28k, Expectations are to make 200 calls per day minimum, and obtain 200+ minutes of talk time.

If the job market was not so bad they would be screwed becasue everyone would quit because they under pay you. They tell you that you can make $100k, but the reality is that the highest paid person in the enrollment advisor role is $78k and they have been there for 3+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on paying your employee's a fair wage and teach the managers to be leaders versus yes people. and stop wasting your money on Sponsoring the Holiday via our parent company which is Bridgepoint Capital and invest back into your people in the form of higher wages.

Do not work here!

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThey are always hiring...if you just need paycheck, apply here!

ConsYou are watched like a hawk. Everything you do is monitered. Constant turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some leadership classes

Worked for University of the Rockies? Contribute to the Community!