University of the Rockies

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.0

CEO

You never know what can happen

I have been working at University of the Rockies

Pros

The management is really hands off.

Cons

Things are constantly changing that impact your job. They cannot tell you how your performance is measured during reviews or what you can do to improve. Due to hiring freezes they will not fill positions that desperately need people. There have been several layoffs and you always feel that another one is right around the corner.

Be honest about upcoming changes that will impact the business rather than telling us the day they are out into effect. Take our feedback seriously.

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at University of the Rockies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The President/CEO of the university is a visionary but lacks consistency with respect to her executive team.

Cons

Great people to work with and the programs are actually really good. Academics put a lot into making the programs.

Add more diversity with respect to hiring employees and do not allow upper management to manage by fear.

Dishonest Employer

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at University of the Rockies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peers, training, good entry level position

Cons

dishonest company values, monotonous, employees kept in the dark.

the goal is to sell students school, but management consistently says it is NOT a sales job. then they turn around and you are written up if you don't sign enough people up. the tactics that are used to 'sell' students school promise them things that the degree may never do for them to put it simply. stop the lies!

Inexperienced Management is Bringing this Company Down

I worked at University of the Rockies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really admired the staff, faculty and students. I learned a lot and had many opportunities to grow as a professional. I feel like I was able to help the students making their way through the program.

Cons

I just couldn't put any faith in the leadership team. They seemed afraid to admit that they didn't know all the answers, and were very hesitant to lean on middle management and benefit from their experience. I observed poor decisions being made time and time again. Money was spent inappropriately. It was appalling that a school teaching Organizational Leadership didn't know how to manage, communicate or problem solve.

Executive Team: Stop worrying about whether you look good or not and focus on how well the company is functioning and what you can do to assist the students and faculty. It would be smart to have an assessment done by an outside entity to see where improvements could be made. Listen to your students and listen to your managers.

Could be a good organization

I have been working at University of the Rockies as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Expanding online graduate programs available. Some of the faculty are the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

Too much focus on making a profit and not enough on getting high quality students or setting the bar high in all courses. More concerned with how students feel about their grade than academic rigor. Student attitudes are often unprofessional and give a sense of entitlement. Compensation for independent projects or full-time work is grossly under what it should be for the level of work required.

Increase academic rigor. Focus on quality of education, not enrollment numbers of profit margins.

My experience has gone down hill over the years. I have been here since the beginning and cannot wait to get out.

Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of the Rockies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a great team who I enjoy working with and who make coming to work each day worth it.

Cons

Management. Leadership. Games and favoritism. Lack of empathy and understanding, and lack of qualified leaders. The favortism is rampant and the "circle" is a joke.

You hiring competent, educated people to run their departments - let them do it.

great students; Confusing leadership

I have been working at University of the Rockies full-time

Pros

excellent students, living in Colorado

Cons

top leadership often attempts to micromanage things and also behaves deceptively

go to psychotherapy and utilize help from your OL faculty

Lacking major organizational structure in numerous ways, in every level of management.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of the Rockies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The building you work in downtown is very nice, it makes you feel like you have a real job before you enter inside.

Cons

Those in leadership roles have no prior experience in management, you are on a very restricted schedule, 9 to 6 pm. You receive two, 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch. These must be taken at the exact time they are scheduled, it resembles a K-12 school schedule, no autonomy in your day. Structure is necessary but this is micro managed to the point you just can't understand how this works in a beneficial way…for anyone. They terminate people very randomly, from what I have seen here and some individuals quit because they cannot take the feeling of being so trapped for a paycheck. It's a job, not a career. The irony here is, the University of the Rockies is a Graduate school for Business Psychology degrees and Organizational Development and Leadership".

Revamp from the Senior leadership down, or it will never change. It may be structured like this purposely? Executive management and floor managers collect large pay checks to perform only a status quo mindset, maybe they feel change would only disrupt their current carpet rides and why work harder than they have too. Classic "Gravy Train Leadership", at best.

Appears different than it actually is - lots of flash and little substance.

Current Employee - Just Another Grunt in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Just Another Grunt in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of the Rockies full-time

Pros

Have met a few great people. Potential is there if management would get out of the way.

Cons

Controlling hierarchical executive leadership, Disorganized initiatives and efforts, Overt non-male favoritism in management, Low quality products. Working here may not translate very well to the real world and similar companies.

Individually and collectively you are the problem. The employees have the expertise and ideas needed to advance without your constant interference. Many employees talk about the dysfunction and toxic environment we are subject to.

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of the Rockies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Low pressure, but find that you're on your own. I have experience and know what I'm doing, so it's nice to have a lot of freedom with minimum hassles.

Cons

The university is owned by Bridgepoint Education, which is a very aggressive company. When they meddle with university affairs, it's bad news. Now that the sister school - Ashford University - is no longer the problem child with accreditation issues, it seems we're getting more focus from big brother.

Develop your people!