University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.3

CEO

Great opportunity for Graduate School.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Instructor
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Instructor

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a graduate student I got to teach classes and labs, which helped me become the confidant speaker I am today. Teaching responsibility was not too restrictive, I had plenty of time to get my research done. I got paid a stipend and my tuition was covered. The graduate faculty is phenomenal in all departments I had interaction with. A lot of interesting research is being conducted.

Cons

Some of the research buildings and equipment are outdated. To be a successful job candidate upon entering the workforce, experience with more up to date equipment would be helpful.

This isn't really a con but: If any future graduate students are reading this, you should expect to work late nights and weekends if you want to finish your PhD in a reasonable time. Getting a PhD is not supposed to be easy, it takes hard work.

The school in recent years has put a lot of emphasis on Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, and Physician's Assistant programs and has sort of let research fall by the wayside. Research is an expensive endeavor and should be treated like a long term investment. Usciences has to be able to support research if they want to compete with larger universities like Temple, Jefferson, and Penn.

Build new research buildings. If you want top level grants to come in, facilities and equipment have to be able to support them. Allow for more fully funded graduate students.

Rules with fear

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Educating students in the sciences -- important and much needed mission. Really smart faculty that are dedicated to sharing their knowledge.

Cons

You are in constant danger and thus constant fear of your colleagues turning on you to save themselves, of management creating falsehoods to smear your reputation, of the shootings in the neighborhood, of hard work being rewarded with demotion. If that is how you like to live and work, this is the place for you.

The presidents and boards and top managements actions and ethics are so questionable that they may well sink this 200 year old institution into the grave. Basic advice is to treat others like you demand to be treated -- seems pretty elementary but not in their backward approach.

Serious Culture problems

I worked at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia full-time

Pros

Some might find it a benefit to work less. You get Fridays off in the summer and generally staff NEVER works overtime or works hard.

Cons

If you are looking for an organization that will challenge you, educate you, help you grow, this is not the place for you. New ideas and enthusiasm are not valued or rewarded.

Staff, faculty, students and alumni are not happy. There is a general negativity at this school and beyond. Alumni do not participate or encourage others to apply due to many reasons - one of which is the changes from the past 10 years. There are a handful of individuals who still believe in the legacy that this institution was, but unfortunately they are quite the minority.

There is barely any cooperation between departments - tons of drama and politics that inhibit the school to do what it's ultimately there for - serve the students at the best of their ability.

Communication - there is a lot of new people in management who are incompetent and do not communicate one coherent message

Great for students, more challenging for faculty/staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The compensation is good and on par with market for faculty but less so for staff.

Cons

Administration is difficult to work with and ever changing.

Prioritize your faculty staff. They keep the university running so you should try to keep them happy. Fridays off during the summer is a huge perk, but not enough to keep us happy at work day to day.

Mixed experience....the administration is a complete mess

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia full-time

Pros

The people are generally friendly. However, there is no real room to move up.

Cons

Getting things done is very inefficient as the administration clings to outdated policies. Facilities will take forever to fix things that are necessary to get work done. The students as a whole don't seem very bright. However, I was fortunate enough to have the quick ones work under my supervision. The area the university is located in is pretty sketchy too.

A lot of the upper administration needs to be ushered out. The university is losing money and it's presence as a worldwide entity is rather lacking. Fortunately, the administration is slowly doing so as we've gotten a new provost, CFO, and president within the last year. I would also alter the marketing strategy. Looking like the University of Phoenix is never a good thing.

You Can Tell If They Are Lying If Their Mouth Is Moving.

Current Employee - Student Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Student Services in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is so confused you can get away with a lot. Easy to wander off and get some personal things done.

Cons

No chain of command and severe lack of communication. Hard to complete assignments if you have no idea what they expect.

Is there management?

Good people, too much drama

I worked at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

Pros

Good people, very liberal atmosphere

Cons

The people who should, never EVER leave

Create more opportunities for the young and driven professionals

Always learning interesting things.

Current Employee - Chaos Research in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Chaos Research in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I get to understand complex concepts from physics on an undergraduate level.

Cons

Lengthy, and might get a little boring sometimes.

All good.

Recommend teaching at any of the 70 schools in the area over this one.

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

There is a very strong specialization on sciences and health care education which is important to the world today. You can feel proud about educating students in these fields.

Cons

Financial challenges. Shortfalls in enrollment. New leadership gives mouth service to collaboration but is dictatorial and can even be a "bully".

Focus on big changes that can make a difference rather than whether or not there is a food cart on campus and inauguration galas.

USciences is a good place to work.

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

Pros

small enough to get to know almost everyone and become involved with many different things outside your normal responsibilities; yet, large enough to allow diverse experiences and growth opportunity.

Cons

there is a lack of strong management

Become more transparent with the strategy for growth and sustainability.

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia Photos