Universum

www.universumglobal.com

Universum Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Petter Nylander

If you like structure, don't bother.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsFun, young and international crowd makes for an enjoyable environment if that's what you're after. Great location in the heart of Stockholm. If you are proactive and can deal without structure then this is a good place to start.

ConsLike most companies they have wonderful sounding values that are barely evident in the office. Seems that most managers don't really make the time to actually manage and support their employees very well.

Misguided management, unfulfilling work, lack of growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility to work remotely. There are some smart/fun people on the team. You can get exposure to HR professionals at a lot of different industries.

ConsNo robust strategy or an understanding of how to grow the business. Disconnect between upper management and the team - a ton of bureaucracy and politics even though the office is mid-sized. Things do not get done efficiently. Most people do not really want to be there so the office culture is not positive. The pay is generally below market value.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not just talk about the company's core values - your values should not be words on a poster, but should actually reflect the office culture. Stop sacrificing long-term relationships for short term sales.

Lots of freedom - very poor management

ProsFreedom to find own solutions which leaves room for creativity. The operational staff on the ground has a very friendly atmosphere, young employees, although different locations lead to challenges in communication.

ConsThe company is very poorly managed. There are big differences in what company offers and talks about (employer branding as employer of choice) and what it practices internally. No clear career paths and very little product innovation/new thinking. Company has a serious retention and staffing problem in key roles. HR role largely disconnected from staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout training, competitive benefits, and stimulating environment, the company will never be able to compete in the future. It is your job to set up an environment where employees can develop and with them the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast moving organization

ProsLots of freedom is given to the team members, great feedback culture and a management that is working hard for the companies success

ConsA better on boarding as well candidate experience. Also the company needs to be better in sharing knowledge internally

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the management are on the right track and have learned to focus an fewer things to get things off the ground

Great opportunity to be challenged and make a difference every day!

Operations (Current Employee) Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsInnovative work Environment, Great people, Opportunity to be challenged

ConsSometimes silo thinking, sometimes too much freedom

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure to keep the innovative Environment and the people

Project Manger

Project Manager (Current Employee) Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsEntrepreneurial and growing
    Young employees that gets good connection with more senior staff
    Good spirit
    International both in terms of employees and locations

ConsCould be more open about international career paths
    As you can read among reviews, the line between being intern and full-time is not always communicated good enough, I started as an intern but was viewed as full-time very fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more to employees and more sharing among offices

Universum review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsGood place to learn about Employer Branding, entrepreneurial spirit,

ConsStressful environment, people work too much,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible

Young, international, flexible company which lacks of qualified staff and competent managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible working conditions, young employees, very international, gives high responsibility to its employees on ambitious projects and exposure to high level clients and contacts

Consseveral issues with poor management or middle management, heavy workloads and high-presure on the employees, limited possibilities in terms of training and development, lack of professionalism due to unexperienced staff

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the managers and middle managers understand their role and are suited and experienced for the job, and ensure they also get enough follow-ups, support and training. Improve recruitment of skilled and experienced staff. Don't give highest responsibilities and strategic developments to new onboared trainees/students.

Decent company, but very unstructured / unprofessional

Intern Task Group (Current Employee) Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Pros-Very international
    -Fast moving
    -Low level of hierarchy

Cons-Unprofessional and unstructured as a whole company. Both in how they arrange and implement strategy and how they do the order of jobs.
    -Unclear future prospect

Advice to Senior ManagementConcerning the internship program, Stockholm office.

In the future it could be a good idea to start planning and focusing on an internship program before actually putting a vacancy on the internet. If the order of tasks is as mixed up as an actual job I would not advice anybody ever to take a position at Universum

Summer trainee

Summer Trainee (Current Employee) Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsFlexible, a lot of autonomy, young environment, putting efforts in the HR.

ConsLack of structure and management, profitable but barely, really high turnover of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer split of departments

Worked for Universum? Contribute to the Community!