Univision Communications Inc.

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
2.5

Randy Falco

A lot of learning tools if you utilize them!

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in McAllen, TX

I worked at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Great company on resume, a lot of continuing education opportunities, opportunities for growth depend on the politics of your office.

Cons

The pay seemed low for the amount of work i was going. Univision is downsizing so expect to wear many hats, however when you look at the bright side this means a lot of learning opportunities in different areas. It all depends on your outlook.

Learned a lot, but was not able to advance further.

I worked at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Their time-off policy is great, they are very understanding of personal time needed. The brand is well-known since most Hispanics grew up with it in the household.

Cons

The leadership at the company is bad, they don't seem to value their employees and only put people in higher positions because of who they get along with.

Give people a chance to move up in the company, instead you bring in outsiders. Realize that those that have been with your for a while are loyal and will help the company grow instead of continuing to lay them off just because you reached the cap of what you can pay them.

Ok I guess

I worked at Univision Communications Inc.

Pros

It was ok, great people

Cons

No room for advancement at all

Not a happy place

I have been working at Univision Communications Inc. full-time

Pros

My department is very hard working and full of good people.

Cons

It's all politics here. If you are in upper management, you have it made! If you are part of the support staff, you are pretty much in prison.

Value your support staff!

Director

I have been working at Univision Communications Inc. full-time

Pros

Great people, growing company, collaborative

Cons

Under-market compensation, little to no career development (depends on your manager)

Where they have you wait until you want to burn the place down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great new office reboot (that's where the pay freezes went..) with plastic ware and plates and milk for coffeee, but that's it

Sales teams seem to have a lot of fun, but depends on your group for sure

Cons

This place has seen insane turnover where "post-Univision glow" is a common term

Management seems to prefer letting talent leave but hire in MBAs or others who don't know how to do the job at all. One person I know has suffered through four managers that have been hired and fired; meanwhile he's still doing their job but being paid half the salary.

There's also no standard pay level - you can takeover another person's job and do a better job, but not be paid as much. You can also be promoted but not get a raise. Management seems to depend on an opaque pay structure. You can also ask for a raise multiple times and management will string you along, until you're so furious you finally quit.

The head of sales is also a notoriously obnoxious, belligerent, impatient personality. The person who reports to him is equally impatient and massages numbers to cover his mistakes.

In your interview be sure to ask about your boss and your boss's boss' personality. Are the patient and intellectually curious and empathetic? Or impatient, jumps to conclusions, easily stressed, swears to the point where it's unprofessional, and fake?

Implement 360 degree reviews and a standardized pay structure

Director, Sales Marketing

Former Employee - Sales Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart and hard working people. It's a great product to take to market and if you have the right people looking out for you, it can be a great place to move up the corporate ladder. The pay is also very competitive.

Cons

Politics are pretty brutal at this place. Lots of folks in upper management constantly looking to "reinvent" process which results in a lot of extra work for nothing. Emails are constant. Don't even think about disconnecting. It's looked down upon here.

Little things go a long way. Stop demanding so much of your employees time. A good work life balance leads to more productivity.

Opportunity was great, just wish management was more supportive.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotions came but you would have to network to find them.

Cons

Training was very poor, whether a new employee or moving to a new division.

Take a hard look at your top talent.

Commissions for sales people are way below that fellow broadcast companies

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get the best training when it comes to understanding the Hispanic Market. They prepare you to succeed.
    Get in here ,learn ,learn ,learn and be sure that you can be an asset to any company that is looking to target the fast growing Hispanic community .

Cons

Company doesn't value employes. In the last five years we have massive laid offs around the country.
    We have been operating in the last month with very small team for every department. If we were and engine , now we are running with two cylinders ...

Need to improve the compensation plan ,employees retention, employees appreciation.
    Office culture is very old school in many aspects ,need to improve.

Unorganized

I have been working at Univision Communications Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High Pay, decent benefits (have had better), seem to promote quickly up to Senior Management level.

Cons

No structure, frequent mis-communication. Leadership does not communicate with one another. HR is practically non-existent. I had to contact HR myself to get information on enrolling for benefits. Was not given a presentation on the company or benefits package until after being with the company for 3 months. The presentation was through the web and was basically read to me and had incorrect information regarding the company.

Stop hiring just to fill head count.