Univita

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
1.9

Jean Haynes

Agrees with person who wished they had never taken the job

Current Employee - Misc in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Misc in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Univita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good food - interesting material to learn about the Long Term Care business. It is challenging and can be fun.

Cons

I agree with the person who just said they never should have taken the job. And I do not even know that person. The training is lousy and the expectations are unreasonable. I've spent a total of about three hours if even that trying to learn from current employees. They either A. Have no time to help you or B. Will sit down and go through pages of information and then expect you to know it front to back. Don't bother asking follow up questions because they will be viewed with contempt and sarcasm and the feeling that "I already showed you so you should know it". I've been here a month and now I am under pressure to perform like a four year employee. I want out as fast as I can get it.

Watch your culture. If my experience becomes common its borderline bullying.

Terrible experience

I worked at Univita full-time

Pros

Liked being able to help claimants. Benefits were good.

Cons

Little training, unrealistic expectations, mandatory overtime. I was not told the truth about the position I was hired for. I regretted my decision to work here almost immediately and was happy when I decided to go. My supervisor didn't even speak to me after I gave my notice. Not a single word. This is not the place for talented hard workers. You will be lost in the shuffle.

These are people who work for you, not machines spitting out the required number of daily decisions. There is a reason for the high turnover. Under the best circumstances this is a high pressure job. These were definitely not the best circumstances. You will continue to lose good people unless things change.

Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Univita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

To good to be true

Cons

Never had a better time

Keep up the good work

going downhill fast

I have been working at Univita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work really, really hard, you might get a raise, but it's not a given. There are a few hard-working, dedicated people working here, and most of the clinical staff seems to really care about the clients/patients. Non-monetary benefits are decent.

Cons

New C-level management, now based in Florida, has laid off or forced out all the director level management and hired their buddies. This new management doesn't care about the MN employees - get the feeling they want the MN business to just go away. Management is very reactionary, no long term planning. The moral is low and there seems to be a number of employees that are lazy and only do the minimum.

Good start, good mission, poor execution and a agonizing demise.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Univita

Pros

Honorable work, good mission.

Cons

Moving HQ to FL where resources struggle.

Cut your loses.

Current employee, wish I had never taken this job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Univita full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There honestly is not much positive I can say. The PTO is decent, but after researching new companies to work at, I have been finding that they are not competitive as I once thought. Granted there is much worse out there as far as PTO packages and you do accrue sick time as well.

Cons

Time off policies--There are always staffing issues, including several people out for medical/FMLA reasons and they affect your being able to take a day off when you need it even though your attendance is good.

Wages--I guess they are competitive, but I will tell you this, make sure you ask for what you know you are worth/what you want because I found out after being here several years that someone who has only been there 1-2 years is making as much as I am now.

Training--Hopefully you are a self-starter and can really figure things out on your own. Sure they will give you training and every time you make mistakes you will get screenshots of what you did wrong sent to you and you will not be talked to in a professional way always about it.

Advancement--sure there are other job openings within the company but most of the moves are a lateral move and if your department is understaffed which undoubtedly it will be due to poor management, you will not be allowed to make that move because of "business needs". That is their excuse for most things. Granted I do understand that a business has needs but they do not show a lot of compassion for employees in their words or their actions.

There have been some really excellent employees who have left in the last few years, which were in my eyes, superstars, and their requests for better work environment were ignored by management until the time they finally gave their notices and then they wanted to bend over backwards to make that person stay, too little, too late.

I would not recommend this employer to anyone. Some of your coworkers will be great but a lot of them are lazy and try to do the minimum they can do to get by. If you are looking for a place where you feel you can grow, be appreciated, positive environment, this is not the place for you.

Some of the management acts completely disinterested in being there at all, which honestly is not a surprise, they likely are not happy in their jobs either.

My advice regarding management is that I do not know if what is wrong there can even be fixed, I think they may need to wipe the slate clean and start over....Sometimes a complete rebuild is necessary to fix the problem.

continuing disorganization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Univita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

home health segment of health care industry is growing to reduce costs / hospital stays

Cons

A merger of several companies where the systems are not yet able to support all the functions of the business.

Negotiate with IT on due dates for projects - resist the temptation to dictate due dates or risk incomplete solutions (as seen here, from the past).

Horrible place to work very negative poor working conditions

Former Employee - Underwriter in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Univita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about Univita. The atmosphere was very negative, bullying was allowed. There was no respect given to anyone. HIPPA laws were blatently violated. Environment was filthy.

Cons

HIPPA privacy laws were violated regularly. Insurance policies containing private and sensitive information were left in piles on table tops in open public walkways. Remote workers were not required to keep secure work areas - nothing was secure in the office why would it be any different in the remote areas. Bullying by one employee in particular was allowed despite numerous complaints. Horrible horrible place to work.

Get your heads out of the sand and provide the security required for sensitive materials. Provide training for your managers and employees.

The company is okay

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Carmel, IN

I worked at Univita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They were flexible with my schedule.

Cons

My actual job went way above and beyond what my job position entailed. I rarely ever did the job I was hired for, but did not get paid to level of the work I was actually completing. Team leadership is hostile and they seemed more annoyed than helpful when asked questions. Advancement is a popularity contest. When you know more than the person promoted and help them with their job, it very disheartening.

Provide support for employees who work hard. Pay your employees for their work, not their job title. Management needs to be more proactive, they are never on the same page about procedures. You hear different direction from all different managers, and no one knows the correct answer.

Confused Company Not Sure Who They Want to Be

Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Univita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Average benefits, good people in lower level positions

Cons

No PTO, poor management with no long-term planning skills, unable to obtain and retain clients, high employee turnover, nepotism

Stop reacting, become proactive, value your employees and utilize their skills and knowledge, promote employees who deserve the promotion rather than the best friend or spouse's friend, listen to employee's concerns and address them rather than bringing in an industrial psychologist then do nothing to address the issues