Uno Restaurants

www.unos.com

Uno Restaurants Reviews in Boston, MA

Uno Restaurants CEO Ian Baines

Ian Baines

Pros
  • You might be able to get free food, if you didn't mind breaking the rules and risk management troubles(in 3 reviews)

• Great food, and lunch specials, dedicated regulars(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management, Upper Management, Compensation, Food Culture, Menu(in 4 reviews)

• There's also not much of an employee discount(in 3 reviews)

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ehh

Bartender (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat motivated staff, management staff was a mixed bag of leaders and laziness. Corporate structure is made of Playdough.

ConsCoupons upon coupons, as a waiter and bartender, it was discouraging to have a ten top on a busy night, pour them all waters and deliver them a $50 check (don't worry, I up sold the raspberry colada). Like most chain restaurants, suburban restaurants had same guidelines as the dense inner city metropolitan locations where food focus (via geographic location) was actually very different.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore or less advice to the corporate office: Get someone with a rational mind to really hire a management staff that will efficiently run restaurants. If there are too few good talents to pick from then you probably need to look at Home office for why you can't find good workers. Also, stop making your employees work on Christmas while your office is closed, it's unnecessary.

Bottom line, not people, is all that matters

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood, but tired brand
    Good, caring people in many positions

ConsDon't care about people or their development
    Very long hours
    No mission or vision of where they're going
    Management really appears clueless
    Just an unhappy culture with no direction and no reason to believe it will get better

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a vision and direction.
    Stop firing anybody and everybody who disagrees with you.

Great starting job as waitress in the restaurant business but management sucks.

Waitress (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey hired me without any experience in waitressing, provided training. People were friendly and helpful.

ConsManagement was poor. Scheduling was a nightmare. I would get calls to come in when I was not scheduled. Requesting days off were not always honored. Failed to be sent my tax returns- had to request for the paperwork multiple occasions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between waitstaff and managers should be much more clearly outlined.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very flexible, but pay varies

Server/Hostess (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey pretty much work around your schedule in accordance to school, travel, another job, etc. They cross-train, so moving up is relatively easy.

ConsOccasionally have unrealistic expectations of their servers. Pay varies depending on shift, restaurant location, etc. Look the other way when guests take advantage of servers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so forgiving of customers who take advantage of the company. That's not the type of people you want coming back.

Great place to work!! I love it!

Bartender (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThere is a lot of energy in the restauranrts - I have worked in a few. I have moved up to bartender quickly and I have been coached along the way by different managers. We are always being challenged to learn new things and think outside of the box.

ConsRestaurant hours can be tough but the tips are worth it!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people like me in mind for management and talk with us more about the possibilities!

This is an OK place to work. Sometimes tips are very good and sometimes extremely bad.

Waitress (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to work if you need long periods of time off e.i. college students that go home for the summer.

ConsRelying on tips as your income. Somedays one could make lots of money and the next day, work 4 hours and leave with five bucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing people up for not claiming enough tips!
    The servers are not making enough money and it's not their fault.

UNO Chicago Grill General Managers are writing people up for not claiming enough tips because if a server doesn't make minimum wage in tips for the week then UNO Chicago Grill has to pay them to bring that up to minimum wage e.i. I work 40 hours per week and this state's minimum wage is $8.50 per hour so if one makes under $340 (40x8.50) then they have to pay the difference. AND they DON'T want to PAY a cent.

Don't expect servers to make 15-20% of their sales in tips when the receipt doesn't state the percentage that guests have to leave and this is a big issue in the store I work because 30-50% of the guests* do not know how much to tip either because they are foreigners or because they just don't know they have to tip 15% and up depending on the quality of the service.

And on top of that, managers do not add gratuity to big parties. When they do, they ask the server to calculate 15% of the bill and squish it (write) somewhere in the receipt. They don't use their 'manager card' because it only allows them to add 18% and since they know how "great" and "tasty" their service and food quality is, they ask servers to write down a mediocre 15%.

Mr. Frank W. Guidara, if you ever get to read this, this is not fair. Cheesecake Factory's reputation is better than UNO's and they state the Grat percentage in about FIVE -not just english- different languages. Please.

OH! and to management, please, please, please if you are having a bad day, suck it up and don't take it up on everyone around you. Yes, they will yell at you and write you up. Yes, just because they're not having a good day.

Uno Chicago Grill

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros* Progressive CEO that is looking toward future/open to new ideas
    * Fun product/environment
    * Free food

Cons* The bar is constantly reset higher and always just out of reach
    * A constantly reset bar leads to a "never-good-enough" attitude that makes work seems "thankless" (not enough rewards for a job well done, more punishments)

Advice to Senior ManagementReward more than you publicly scold your employees to create a more motivating corporate culture.

Worked for Uno Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!