Uno Restaurants

Uno Restaurants Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Uno Restaurants CEO Frank W. Guidara

Frank W. Guidara

Pros:
  • "Great food, and lunch specials, dedicated regulars"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Easy menu to learn, good place to learn simple bartending"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Towards the end, the upper management was very unpleasant towards the staff"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Also had problems with getting discounts put on checks for customers with coupons, military discounts etc"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Please save the Kissimmee location, before it is to late ~

Kissimmee, FL

I worked at Uno Restaurants part-time for less than a year

ProsThe General Manager JOEY PIERNO is one of the Best in the business. He desrves to be in a Higher Volume restaurant, where his talents can brilliantly shine.

Sadly he is stuck in the RT 192 Kissimmee location near Old Town ~

I can't say enough great words about this man... a genuine and sincere friend, that makes you feel welcome from the moment you meet him.

His Cooks are truly some of the hardest workers, and also deserve to be recognized for all of their perfection.

ConsSadly, Joey has a Management team that doesn't do him or UNO justice.

When the restaurant has no guests, (which is 90% of the day), the managers are somewhat pleasant. But, when the moment arrives when guests arrive, they fall to pieces.

They scramble to do simple tasks and it shows greatly in the way the guests are rudely talked down to, and made to feel that they are an interuption in their day... not the reason they have a job ~

Unfortunately,the Servers are brow beaten continuously... and made to feel inferior to management.

Unless the Server is a personal friend to the managers, he /she will NOT get enough hours to survive. Many a night the manager favorites are permitted to stay on the clock and hover around while the newer and harder working Servers are sent home, because management feels the $4.70 per hour will somehow bankrupt the company.

During the Holidays, the Favorite Servers raked in the Hours ( major overtime pay ) and the Tips, and were able to work the large party tables in prime areas of the restaurant, and favored by seating rotation . . . . but "certain servers" were either given small tables or passed over on the seating rotation, and eventually cut from the shifts, to be sent home.

Surely NOT the professional way to run a location.

I personally resigned for that exact reason...... not being a "Favored Server"... or a Server that was treated in a fair manner.

The Management / Serving staff does just enough to get by, and have a way to turn on the "SAINTHOOD" effect when General Manager JOEY PIERNO is in the area.

After he leaves for the day, the real weaselness of Management / Favorite Servers comes out.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

NOTE : This review is in no way way written to be a Malicious attack on the restaurant, but a clear and precise opinion that will hopefully save this location from the downfall it is heading towards.

Advice to Senior ManagementJOEY (General Manager), PLEASE take this review to heart and see if you can transfer to a Higher Volume location, where your exceptional talents can be appreciated !!

Experience at uno

I have been working at Uno Restaurants

ProsSummer was their busiest time

Conspoor tip payers around area

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

good starting waitress job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Uno Restaurants

ProsEasy menu to learn, good place to learn simple bartending

Conslocation, higher prices, winter hours

Advice to Senior Managementcorporate needs to do bar specials to draw business in

Great!!!! Career Growth if you put forth the effort

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Uno Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDevelopment of management skills
Recognition of hard work and performance
Small, family like atmosphere
Long tenure of management

ConsTries to be to many things to to many people
Too many discounts and coupons
Inconsistent focuses month to month sometimes
Lack of new restaurant openings

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus narrow with regards to guest experience

People were ready to mutiny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Uno Restaurants part-time for less than a year

ProsThey paid you weekly.
They were always hiring
You might be able to get free food, if you didn't mind breaking the rules and risk management troubles.

ConsNever knew what the schedule was until right before it went in to effect, and sometimes not even then
The schedule was barely even a guideline
Nasty people there
Manager had unreasonable expectations
They were always hiring because they treated people so bad that they were constantly quitting, or finding better restaurant jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't leave the scheduling to the new manager

Bottom line, not people, is all that matters

Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Uno Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood, but tired brand
Good, caring people in many positions

ConsDon't care about people or their development
Very long hours
No mission or vision of where they're going
Management really appears clueless
Just an unhappy culture with no direction and no reason to believe it will get better

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a vision and direction.
Stop firing anybody and everybody who disagrees with you.

Great starting job as waitress in the restaurant business but management sucks.

Waitress (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Uno Restaurants part-time for less than a year

ProsThey hired me without any experience in waitressing, provided training. People were friendly and helpful.

ConsManagement was poor. Scheduling was a nightmare. I would get calls to come in when I was not scheduled. Requesting days off were not always honored. Failed to be sent my tax returns- had to request for the paperwork multiple occasions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between waitstaff and managers should be much more clearly outlined.

Owners are very unprofessional.

Server (Former Employee)

I worked at Uno Restaurants full-time for less than a year

ProsIn the right area, you can make a lot of money working there. In the wrong area, you can lose a lot of money working there.

Consinconsistent and unjust hiring and firing behavior.

Uno Chicago Grill

Taunton, MA

I worked at Uno Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis restaurant chain has great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to work hard, be a leader and not give up.

ConsFrom my experience, the managers get moved around A LOT. You never know where you will be working the next day. You could be at a certain restaurant for three years, then they can send someone at 9pm from corporate to tell you that you're getting transferred. On the other hand, we had a gm for about 3 months who everyone loved, but he got transferred as well.

One of the best jobs I had as a server and Bartender

Server/Bartender (Current Employee)
Guaynabo, PR

I have been working at Uno Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and good managers

ConsRestaurant is to small for the volume that traffics through there.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement Needs to hold to the restaurants values instead of concentrating solely on making profit.

Worked for Uno Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uno Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Uno Restaurants CEO Frank W. Guidara. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Uno Restaurants employees.