Uno Restaurants

Uno Restaurants Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Uno Restaurants CEO Ian Baines

Ian Baines

Pros
  • You might be able to get free food, if you didn't mind breaking the rules and risk management troubles(in 3 reviews)

• Great food, and lunch specials, dedicated regulars(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management, Upper Management, Compensation, Food Culture, Menu(in 4 reviews)

• There's also not much of an employee discount(in 3 reviews)

Incompetent Management, Inconsistent Training, Pure Lies...

Server/Bartender/Trainer (Former Employee) Menomonee Falls, WI

ProsI have nothing to say.

ConsAs I said before, inconsistent training. From the second you walk into the interview to and even when your on the "floor." Training is an ongoing and developmental thing, It was clear that there was none. Everyday I would be told something different about a menu change or you can do this for a lunch special one day then the next get told I was wrong by a different manager for doing the same exact thing. You will get your ... chewed off for the manager not being able to communicate effectively to their employees.

If you get hired on there... Don't expect to be anything other then a server. I was next in line for management and I got screwed over to put it nicely. I worked for them for 2 years and I knew the cook line, bar, hosting, I was the go to guy if the managers were unable to be found(Which is the only consistent thing there). The GM, Ast. GM, and myself all talked about becoming a manager went over all the details of the job blah blah. I agreed and started my training.. Inconsistent training... Again. I was given the managers training handbook and told to study independently. In which I did, I would bring my study materials on my off time AT WORK. I was showing I was devoted and motivated to do this. At least once to two times a week during studying I would ask the manager so whats going on with me being a manager? Nothing.. I would get "Well.. Uh... Were working on it..." For this months this continued. I eventually got frustrated and gave up.

***I quit about a month ago and just found out they are giving the position to someone with not even a 1/4 of the time or experience I have. I know this person and as a manager they will fail.***

The customers know that they can whine and complain to get free food. They had a new menu roll out called the "Pick and Choose" menu. Pretty simple pick any two items off ONLY that SPECIAL menu for six dollars each, a total of 12 dollar. Simple right?? Not at all. The management would let people switch it out with regular menu items but they would always say... "just this once we will let you do it." The problem is the next time those customers come in and want to do that again, the server will tell them no. Which always follows with the "Well we did it before.." and the server left looking like a piece of you know what.

I have consistently pulled 12-15 hour work days there without breaks, for multiple days in a row. And good luck with trying to get a day off. You'll most likely pulling 6-7 days a week. No breaks. You can not take off ANY holiday. Not even veterans day... WTF? I am a veteran. I earned that.

Managers.... They are the single most incompetent individuals I have ever met in a managerial sense. If there is an issue, they will listen to it, but that's all they will do. They play the favorite card all the time. There is a certain manager that has had relations with multiple female co-worker and inappropriate touching... I know of several ex-employees that quit because of him..

***When it was -50 Degrees outside, they wanted everyone to come in still... When anti-freeze IS FREEZING you want me to come in for 2.20 an hour?!?!?! Are you dumb?

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you say you are going to do something DO IT.
    Stop playing favorites.
    Implement a real training plan.
    Stop taking advantage of your employees.
    Actually take a management class.
    Pull your heads out of your ...
    Why do you think you have a HORRIBLE turn over rate?

There is a reason this location closed down.

Server (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe food is halfway decent and could be great if management got their acts together. The menus that come down from corporate are pretty good and have started catering to health conscious people.

ConsThe Georgetown location was a very difficult place to work. As a server you run out of basic things like clean glasses on a weekly basis. It's often understaffed so you can make decent tips but are very overworked.

The work environment is very laid back and management is willing to help out.

Server (Current Employee) Lexington, SC

ProsGood food, helpful management, great hours

ConsCorporate took away some of our best-sellers

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in touch with what food is selling well in certain restaurants.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Please save the Kissimmee location, before it is to late ~

Server (Former Employee) Kissimmee, FL

ProsThe General Manager JOEY PIERNO is one of the Best in the business. He desrves to be in a Higher Volume restaurant, where his talents can brilliantly shine.

Sadly he is stuck in the RT 192 Kissimmee location near Old Town ~

I can't say enough great words about this man... a genuine and sincere friend, that makes you feel welcome from the moment you meet him.

His Cooks are truly some of the hardest workers, and also deserve to be recognized for all of their perfection.

ConsSadly, Joey has a Management team that doesn't do him or UNO justice.

When the restaurant has no guests, (which is 90% of the day), the managers are somewhat pleasant. But, when the moment arrives when guests arrive, they fall to pieces.

They scramble to do simple tasks and it shows greatly in the way the guests are rudely talked down to, and made to feel that they are an interuption in their day... not the reason they have a job ~

Unfortunately,the Servers are brow beaten continuously... and made to feel inferior to management.

Unless the Server is a personal friend to the managers, he /she will NOT get enough hours to survive. Many a night the manager favorites are permitted to stay on the clock and hover around while the newer and harder working Servers are sent home, because management feels the $4.70 per hour will somehow bankrupt the company.

During the Holidays, the Favorite Servers raked in the Hours ( major overtime pay ) and the Tips, and were able to work the large party tables in prime areas of the restaurant, and favored by seating rotation . . . . but "certain servers" were either given small tables or passed over on the seating rotation, and eventually cut from the shifts, to be sent home.

Surely NOT the professional way to run a location.

I personally resigned for that exact reason...... not being a "Favored Server"... or a Server that was treated in a fair manner.

The Management / Serving staff does just enough to get by, and have a way to turn on the "SAINTHOOD" effect when General Manager JOEY PIERNO is in the area.

After he leaves for the day, the real weaselness of Management / Favorite Servers comes out.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

NOTE : This review is in no way way written to be a Malicious attack on the restaurant, but a clear and precise opinion that will hopefully save this location from the downfall it is heading towards.

Advice to Senior ManagementJOEY (General Manager), PLEASE take this review to heart and see if you can transfer to a Higher Volume location, where your exceptional talents can be appreciated !!

Experience at uno

ProsSummer was their busiest time

Conspoor tip payers around area

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

good starting waitress job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy menu to learn, good place to learn simple bartending

Conslocation, higher prices, winter hours

Advice to Senior Managementcorporate needs to do bar specials to draw business in

Great!!!! Career Growth if you put forth the effort

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDevelopment of management skills
    Recognition of hard work and performance
    Small, family like atmosphere
    Long tenure of management

ConsTries to be to many things to to many people
    Too many discounts and coupons
    Inconsistent focuses month to month sometimes
    Lack of new restaurant openings

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus narrow with regards to guest experience

People were ready to mutiny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey paid you weekly.
    They were always hiring
    You might be able to get free food, if you didn't mind breaking the rules and risk management troubles.

ConsNever knew what the schedule was until right before it went in to effect, and sometimes not even then
    The schedule was barely even a guideline
    Nasty people there
    Manager had unreasonable expectations
    They were always hiring because they treated people so bad that they were constantly quitting, or finding better restaurant jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't leave the scheduling to the new manager

Bottom line, not people, is all that matters

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood, but tired brand
    Good, caring people in many positions

ConsDon't care about people or their development
    Very long hours
    No mission or vision of where they're going
    Management really appears clueless
    Just an unhappy culture with no direction and no reason to believe it will get better

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a vision and direction.
    Stop firing anybody and everybody who disagrees with you.

Great starting job as waitress in the restaurant business but management sucks.

Waitress (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey hired me without any experience in waitressing, provided training. People were friendly and helpful.

ConsManagement was poor. Scheduling was a nightmare. I would get calls to come in when I was not scheduled. Requesting days off were not always honored. Failed to be sent my tax returns- had to request for the paperwork multiple occasions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between waitstaff and managers should be much more clearly outlined.

Worked for Uno Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!