Uno Restaurants

Updated December 13, 2014
3.4

Uno Restaurants CEO Ian Baines
Ian Baines

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, nice paycheck, friendly enviroment (in 3 reviews)

• You might be able to get free food, if you didn't mind breaking the rules and risk management troubles (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Super busy, long hours, and lots of dishes (in 5 reviews)

• Management, Upper Management, Compensation, Food Culture, Menu (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Really good money, only if closing... if not, you make NO MONEY!!

Current Employee - Server in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Server in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Uno Restaurants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When closing, you usually make between 100-150 on weeknights. Weekends, anywhere from 115-180
    When not closing, you make between 30-75 weeknights, and 50-100 weekends
    Management is great, they really do care about you.

Cons

TESTS TESTS TESTS!!!! THAT'S ALLLLLL WE DO IS TESTS!! If you want a JOB and not SCHOOL all over again, do not work here. We take tests about every 3-6mo, and some of them take HOURS to finish!!
    Late nights SUUUUUCKKKK!!!! (my location at least)
    The hosts have absolutely no idea what they're doing. They do not follow any system whatsoever. They will triple seat you, while not seating anyone else. They will seat a section when the server is not yet there, and will not ask anyone to pick it up (this happens about once a week, that I notice). They will seat your one and only 6-top table with only two people, even though you have three other 2-top tables!!
    100% tray service. Dumbest thing ever. No matter how busy you are, you have to run around the kitchen looking for a tray so you can bring your ONE glass of water or your ONE ramekin out!!!

STOP THESE DANG TESTS!!!!
    Train the hosts right
    Get the dressings the guests ask for EVERYDAY!! (thousand island, parm peppercorn, russian).

Hostess and Kitchen Prep

Current Employee - Hostess/Kitchen Prep in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Hostess/Kitchen Prep in Albany, NY

I have been working at Uno Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for about a year and a half, started as a hostess and the moved onto doing kitchen prep and salad maker in the kitchen. I was able to work as either position and they liked that I was versatile. I loved the managers and most of my coworkers.

Cons

We got a new manager, who changed a lot of our standard operating procedures. A lot of which weren't fair. This new GM refused to train me as a server. It was very unfair and even one of the assistant manager let me know that if I transfer to another UNOs, he will recommend me for server training- as it was not an option for me according to the GM. This is why I quit.

Allow employees to move ul

Uno's will become your home.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Uno Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll learn great multitasking skills. At the location I was at, they usually promoted within before hiring out for shift supers or bartenders.

Cons

Sidework, sidework, sidework. You will do more sidework here than any other restaurant. On slow days, it's common for you to spend more time doing sidework than actually taking tables on the floor. People are also scheduled for doubles most of the time, and several days in a row. The general fact that it's a corporate chain restaurant can be annoying sometimes. The new training program is unbearable. There's also not much of an employee discount.

Server

Current Employee - Server in Maple Shade, NJ
    Current Employee - Server in Maple Shade, NJ

I have been working at Uno Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can pick-up a lot of hours, therefore, providing you with the opportunity to make extra money. The management has high standards for their waiters, therefore, you do greatly improve as a server.

Cons

Older employees (age and duration of service) do not know their place, they tend to pretend to be mangers. Management does nothing to tame the hostile environment or anger. Base pay is insultingly low, therefore, managers never feel the need to cut (relieve of duty) the waiters since they are essentially utilizing free labor. Employee discount is extremely limited. Overall, too much busy work.

Waitress

Current Employee - Waitress in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Waitress in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uno Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training
    Team work
    Good tips

Cons

Hard work
    Long hours
    Difficult clients sometime

Consider improve the payment to the waitress

Did not care about food, used as pawn to increase profits

Former Employee - Server in Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Salisbury, MD

I worked at Uno Restaurants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong server, they allowed me more freedom, Pizza is good, but good luck with the rest

Cons

Management, Upper Management, Compensation, Food Culture, Menu

Care more about the food! You are a restaurant after all!

Not Impressed as an Employee or Customer

Former Employee - Server/Hostess
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess

I worked at Uno Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were a few friendly employees at the restaurant I worked at and it was nice to have a discount on my meal. Unfortunately, that's about all I can say for the positive things I encountered as a former employee.

Cons

Management did not do their job and waitstaff was constantly doing whatever they wanted which led to unhappy customers that would not return in the future and employees who actually cared about their job (like myself) looking elsewhere for work.

Don't let your waitstaff go outside to smoke or use their cell phones while they are working.

overall good experience

I worked at Uno Restaurants full-time

Pros

the staff was always helpful, other managers great family environment. overall teamwork. great support staff on the office

Cons

there wasn't allot of cons. When the company filed for bankruptcy they closed quite a few restaurants at once. all of those people lost there jobs with no notice

Ball of confusion

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Uno Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, some fun people, pay scale ok but not one where you can say it's top notch.

Cons

To much change, nothing stays the same, training, menu, corporate programs and needs. All they do is spin there wheels and come back to the basics, so why not keep with the basics, Borders on the ridiculous.

Change the bonus program to where you can actually make some additional income by performing to it. Consider focusing on the basics of what you do best. Not changing every 2 to 3 months to please some wild idea.

Great

Current Employee - Server in Winter Garden, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Winter Garden, FL

I have been working at Uno Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Locals..good money. Repeat customers. Good coupons sent out.

Cons

Horrible favoritism! Management treats employees horrible..screaming all the time. Guests complain about tge way they treat us.

Never worked for a company that treats their employees so horribly. Been in the business 23 years and this is most definitely they worst!