Unum Group

Unum Group Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen

Tom Watjen

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is important to me and Unum allows flexible work scheduled"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Like any large company the bureaucracy does drag somewhat, but it is not a major problem"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Meh

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Unum Group

ProsLimited flex schedule, nice work environment

ConsLimited room for advancement, limited opportunity for projects

Change Driven

ProsPTO, Child care subsidy, flexibility

ConsNo advancement opportunities without degree

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting look to promote employees with experience and good job performance not just for a degree.

meh....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros4 weeks of vacation- trust me you'll need it
pay is higher than average
flexible - able to work from home

ConsConstantly changing business priorities, organizations, reporting structure, job description
Too many cheifs not enough indians
Recycled improvement ideas
I had numerous bosses - total of 7 or 8 in three years

Advice to Senior ManagementWork enviornment survey's are a waste of time, everyone is too scared to be 'candid'

meh...

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Unum Group

Proscomp program is good. great culture.

Conssenior leadership is long standing, very little opportunity to move up linearly. a lot of old ideas "because that's the way we've always done it"

Advice to Senior Managementstop with the wink wink nudge nudge crap. be straight forward with your managers.

Not the best place nor the worst place

Enterprise Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Unum Group

ProsThe best reasons to work for Unum Group are for the stability & pay a fair wage.

ConsIt's not that Unum Group is a horrible place to work. Just every other company I've worked for has out performed them on almost all aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnum is not a horrible place to work but one will quickly see their short comings working for other people. Anyone with a little bit of ambition will stick out easily here which is not always a good thing. Usually that person gets stuck with all of the work.

Sr Leadership should reassess the level of talent they have a middle management level. The company will continue to be mediocre until they change the level of middle management talent.

Good for the most part

Benefits Specialist (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA

I have been working at Unum Group

Prosmoney benefit its a great company good PTO time that is important with this position. room to move around and grow within the company

Conssome of the works are not that friendly. go to work do your job get your money that is what you are there for in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementWays to motivate team. i think it is important in this position to have people properly motivated. in some cases management lacks in that aspect.

Worthwhile internship, if just financially

Business Technology Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Unum Group

ProsGreat compensation, strong group aspect of internship that showcased elements of the company that I didn't know about due to my very focused internship. Strong relationship with mentor. Everyone was happy to have me and willing to ask questions. Great entry to a full time position

ConsNot always enough work for me to do, need to be a self-starter to get the most out of internship at Unum. Did not work with any other interns, and due to the fact that Unum has multiple campuses across the country, often meeting where via video/web conference.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take the time to develop fresh talent to re-invigorate an aging work force, especially in the business technology dept.

Unum Group Review from an Employee angle

Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unum Group

ProsUnum has a really great program that if you are a Customer Service Specialist or other selected positions, within a timeframe, you will be allowed to work from home. This is a win win situation for the Employee and the Employer. This program definately saves a lot of money for all involved.

ConsThe Cons of working for Unum are once in the Contact Center, trained and doing nice job at it, advancement within the Company seems a little less attainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonally, my Manager is the most honest and up front person any Employee could ever ask for. This person is always on the top of their agenda, always immediately returns emails regardless of their workload. All in all, Management at Unum that I have come in contact with have been very helpful and friendly.

Unum is a great company to join or in my case...re-join!

Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unum Group

ProsUnum is a great company to join or in my case - re-join! I started my career @ Unum directly out of college and gained training, mentorship and opportunities that proved invaluable to my HR career. Unlike most of my co-workers who remained happily employed with Unum, I relocated and left Unum. During the past 15 yrs, my career advanced and I had the opportunity to work for several fortune 50/100/250 organizations on the east and west coast. Although, I’ve enjoyed most of the companies I’ve had the opportunity to work with – none of these companies compared to Unum. So…I’m very happily back where I started at Unum with an enlightened appreciation!

Some of the best reasons to join Unum are...first and foremost, the employees you’ll work with daily – they are friendly, professional, care about their customers, the top in their field and all reflect a culture of trust, open communication and integrity.

Other reasons to work for Unum are: excellent benefits, competitive salaries, first class training, opportunities for growth and an established, yet cutting edge environment.

ConsI can't think of a downside to working @ Unum....

Advice to Senior ManagementVery impressive HR leadership & team!

The Trenches of Deskside Support

Software Installer (Former Employee)

I worked at Unum Group

ProsThe pay and benefits were good. Location was also good. Unfortunately that is all that was good about the place.

ConsThe lack of competent management took the wind out of the sails of the department. No system setup to move forward in one's career. Constant back stabbing in the department. That was my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment which fosters cohesion as well as set up a system which a person can follow to move up and to learn more. Bring a more stable management base into the department.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unum Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unum Group CEO Tom Watjen. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by Unum Group employees.